The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does anyone have any tips on how to make a decent looking roof?

vinnyml
vinnyml
✭✭✭
Or suggestions on what furnishings to use? I usually do it with a platform and some stairs. But they never look great. Any suggestions welcome!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some suggestions but I can’t really show you until I get home from my trip this Friday.

I just did not want you to think that your call for aid was being ignored.
  • vinnyml
    vinnyml
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    I have some suggestions but I can’t really show you until I get home from my trip this Friday.

I just did not want you to think that your call for aid was being ignored.

Nice! I appreciate it.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always struggle with roofs as well.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn a floor panel upside down to make a smooth ceiling.
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would take a ton of slots if the roof is large, but how about that lean-to furnishing?
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/solitude-shed-wood-lean-to/
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the lean-to furnishing is there are no triangle shaped wall pieces to fill in the open area at the end of the roof.
    PCNA
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use a couple items for one of my house roofs.

https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/murkmire-wall-corner-curve/
    two of those ^ for the roof, which you can expand as long as you want it. You can flip one around to have the pole either as part of the wall on either side, or in the middle (I go with the middle).

Then,
    https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/elsweyr-dais-temple/
    I use that ^ since it's about as wide a circle as the curved walls. You can flip it around to the backside for the exterior if you don't like the pattern. Personally, I just throw one of the round windows onto it; the dark brotherhood one fits snug right in the pattern exactly. Another good one is from the crown crates, that eye of magnus one.

Not the best roof for every situation, but I like it for my house in particular.
  • vinnyml
    vinnyml
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the lean-to furnishing is there are no triangle shaped wall pieces to fill in the open area at the end of the roof.

You can use this: https://eso.mmo-fashion.com/druidic-fence-stone-end/

But then you're kinda locked into that style.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we need is a triangle shaped wall piece to close the ends of the lean-to roof, which I outlined in red.

d1hpexnjfbhd.jpg
    Edited by SilverBride on May 12, 2023 4:30AM
    PCNA
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK these are just things I did, feel free to disagree or change whatever you like.

Part 1: The Nord (frozen) lake house

Roof Elements:

Solitude Stairway, Stone
    Argonian Canopy, Reed
    Solitude shed, Wood Lean-To

Solitude Pillar, Base
    Elsweyr Pillar, Rough Wooden

I wanted the house of my Nord Ice Mage to look a bit rustic, So I went with a straw material for the roof. The Stairs were thick enough to hide the argonian canopy supports, so you can't even see them inside the house.

u2b97o5j1agb.png
    y17dgbr2dd3p.png
    7pf7whauonmd.png
    Some shots of the house at night (the default look).

j97xf5yoygoe.png
    A day shot so you can see it better.

x35gnpno2uoe.png
    m3apf8wezawu.png
    Interior views so you can see the no supports are peaking through.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part 2A: Fogbreak Manor stables

v2iop682wkiv.png
    (I normally have this house set for night as well. But it is easier to see the elements in the day.)

Roof Elements:

Esweyr Stair, Masonry
    Rough Plank. Long
    High Isle Platform, Wooden Rectangle
    (And Hakoshae Hook, Block)

7zna9082xbg7.png
    mnfla35fpmo5.png
    g9q2z5ka7l8t.png

Using the square design on the bottom of the floor piece, it helped sell the concept of a hay storage area above the stables.

I used the wooden planks to close thew gap between the roof and the stairs.

At night it is very hard to see the gap anyway.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part 2B: Fogbreak Manor

ljg0t6y4u6l0.png
    This is a view from the lighthouse. This is an important shot as this is the only high angle a viewer can normally see the roof, and I used a couple of "cheats" on it.

The "tower" roof.

Roof Elements:

Esweyr Stair, Masonry

schdpd7m960c.png
    Notice I left a gap. This is an impossible view normally so I left the gap because filling it did not matter. Keep this in mind for the next bit.

z51tvtzg7q2g.png
    A closer view of the manor roof.

7avcrmtfuro8.png
    The view from coming up the stairs.

Roof Elements:

Esweyr Stair, Masonry
    High Isle Platform, Wooden Rectangle
    High Isle Platform, Tilework
    Imperial Statue, Legion Campion (Lux Vendor, not crown store)
    High Isle Turret, Conical Castle

I put the stairs at a 90 dgree angle to how they are normally placed, to make the pitch of the roof higher, a bit of a nod to French Manor architecture. However, I also once again cheated.

y8tdisdv0xnu.png

I did not finish the roof as it would be impossible to see it, because of the viewer perspective.

However if you need to finish the roof, I think using how the roof is placed on the stables to top off the sharp outer angles with a gentler top would be fine.

Anyway, I hope all this helped.

EDIT: I realized I did not show any images in the default night look.

f0gqn876z1v0.png
    nr87aw2xd6xt.png
    dq6jkuqwmny7.png
    jzb6tiib81zc.png
    Edited by BlueRaven on May 12, 2023 11:10PM
  • vinnyml
    vinnyml
    ✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Part 2B: Fogbreak Manor

ljg0t6y4u6l0.png
    This is a view from the lighthouse. This is an important shot as this is the only high angle a viewer can normally see the roof, and I used a couple of "cheats" on it.

This is all super helpful and inspirational. I have a ton of ideas now. (Your house is freaking awesome, too!). Thanks for all the work you put in to this very thorough reply!

• arctangent
    Late to the party but here's how I solved the 'ends on a pitched roof' problem : two high isle rectangular platforms crossed at the same angle of the roof with a painting or somthing covering the open triangle part at the bottom.

rhjml8uapgpx.png

I added a skylight at the top, which is a bunch of constellation tiles (you can see through on side but not the other).
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some roofs I've made. I hope they provide some inspiration. They aren't the classic house roof but they are what I have lol.

Used floors for the roof and then made a balcony using the scavenged grate from the clockwork city home goods furnisher.
    fraqiny7u2lq.jpg

Solitude Lean-tos and the Leyawiin castle door iirc.
    dadcvb4ze9zc.jpg

Hedges (my favorite thus far but heavily thematic imo)
    i5jordynzgfe.jpg

Limestone Retaining Walls
    br6wgsk6qvfd.jpg
    Edited by spartaxoxo on May 19, 2023 5:57AM
  • MoonPile
    MoonPile
    ✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the triangular hole, I've seen the wooden crate lid used for this area, rotated.