The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

OTHER PLANETS IN ESO?

VvwvenomwvV
VvwvenomwvV
✭✭✭✭
I was looking at the night sky in the Ossa Accentium house and I noticed what looks like other nearby Planets. I'm aware of Jone, and Jode, the two moons around the planet we're on. There are many planets in the sky in Fargrave.

This got me to thinking...how many planets are in the solar system in Eso? I done some brief research, and I think there are 8 planets to correspond with the 8 Divines.

I would like to know more about this if anyone has any information about the other planets.

I would also like to know if there will ever be a time that we might be able to travel to these other planets, and perhaps the moons?

If all of the zones eventually become filled up, would this be an option to expand into?
pp6bag2lkzi8.jpg

Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on May 6, 2023 3:13AM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The planets are the divines themselves.

I’d def look into a lore video. Fudgemuppet covers a lot of these topics.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!! Yes! I believe those are the Divines! The orreries around Nirn depict the Divines as their Planets, and using an orrery I have come up with an idea as to which planet is who. I’d have to find my notes and come back here later but I was extremely hyped and chilled when I looked up and saw the planets.

As for why the Divines are planets…
    we know that the Princes have realms… the planets are the realms of the Divines. I’m of the belief that they are not simply on the planets like the Princes are but rather they ARE their planet, as a “low battery” mode. All of the Divines are metaphysically chained to Nirn, and Nirn saps their Divinity away. This is why the Aedra (“our ancestor”, as opposed to Daedra “not our ancestor”) do not manifest on Nirn like Princes do. The Princes are not chained, they are free. Best the Divines can do are blessings and the odd artifact here and there.

My idea of becoming a sphere being a natural form is also backed up by how the sun is a circle. You could argue the stars might not be and they’re so far they look like circles but the sun is clearly a circle. This is important because the sun isn’t actually a sphere, it’s a hole in space that Magnus created when he escaped.

Edit: Also we do travel to one of the Moons, there’s actually even a player house up there. The Khajiit have a moonbase. I don’t know how but they do. C0DA is [arguably] fanfiction that takes place on the Moons as well.
    Edited by Soarora on May 5, 2023 7:21PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ossa Accentium is in Fargrave, an obscure part of Oblivion, not part of the same plane in which Nirn, the moons, and the planets of the Divines exist. The objects in the "sky" that can be seen from Ossa Accentium are other bits of Oblivion (there are a lot of them, thousands).
    PC EU
  • VvwvenomwvV
    VvwvenomwvV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either way, the sight of those planets got me to thinking about the solar system of Eso, how many / if any other planets exist and would we be able to visit them in the future?
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ossa Accentium is in Fargrave, an obscure part of Oblivion, not part of the same plane in which Nirn, the moons, and the planets of the Divines exist. The objects in the "sky" that can be seen from Ossa Accentium are other bits of Oblivion (there are a lot of them, thousands).

While Oblivion is outside of Mundus, that doesn’t mean you can’t see Mundus from Oblivion. It’s not like there’s a covering that I know of like there is with Aetherius. This would explain why all 8 are visible at once and why the orientation doesn’t match any orrery. I don’t think it’s a mistake that there are 8, and the relation of the planets to each other (in regards to planets circling other planets) do match the orrery.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Excuse the poor image quality. I couldn't find my original notes so I quickly remade them, I can't say with 100% confidence that I've labeled them correctly, but it does make sense to a degree.

The orrery I used for reference:
    OB-interior-Orrery_%28labeled%29.jpg
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Orrery

3400225B-51A7-4FEE-8B83-C140EA0B6EF5.jpg?width=842&height=662
    Dibella revolves around Mara which revolves around Zenithar. The sizes and vague shape match the orrery, however it doesn't entirely look like the smaller planets revolve around each other due to their locations. But we are looking at one flat image and revolution paths can be large. It could also be that Zenithar is a smaller one and that Dibella or Mara appears bigger because it's closer.

6F951FB7-5F43-4D01-8016-0862624F8153.jpg?width=917&height=662
    ADADE845-AC5A-4416-BE48-D67B5AF33DAC.jpg?width=1023&height=662
    To the left of the first group is what I called Stendarr with Zenithar above. This is because the next group has a shape that is clearly defined in the orrery, however again, planets move. The size and shape matches the orrery though.

44C518D1-A1B7-4C13-AF92-CDCBA62AA56C.jpg?width=1066&height=662
    Finally, Akatosh, Kynareth, and Arkay. As I said, the shape is extremely similar to what we see in the orrery and the distance between the other two groups and this one also fits.

What is NOT something I can explain is how a planet could be above Fargrave or why the planets are so large, unless Fargrave is below Mundus or even within the border between Mundus and Oblivion. If that is the case then Fargrave would be down from Julianos and Nirn could be up and southwest from Fargrave. Having a location that is actually within the border would be beneficial and make sense. Not too far from the other Daedric realms which would make portaling difficult, but also not so far from Nirn that all the mortals on Fargrave would be confusing. Being within the border would also possibly be a part of why all the Daedra there are out of reach of the Princes.
    The planets do not move in-game as far as I know and are rather large. I don't know if this is done with purpose as if these are actually projections of the Divines rather than the real planets or if there would be too much to calculate in order to make them all move (Secunda orbits Masser which we do see move across the sky from Nirn (although I'm not sure that Secunda is ever shown orbitting Masser), so if these were moons of Fargrave then why wouldn't they move as well?). Or even if it's done like this because juggling 8 planets is very confusing and designers wanted to spend time and brainpower on something else.
    Edited by Soarora on May 5, 2023 8:34PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you might also be able to see some of them from inside the Spellscar in Craglorn. When you go inside the Spellscar to fight the various Daedra and the boss, as you're crossing the various "bridges" from one piece to another you can sometimes catch glimpses of various celestial bodies. Most of the time the rocks and "vegetation"(?) block your view of them.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • OgrimTitan
    OgrimTitan
    ✭✭✭
    Every Oblivion Plane is an another planet. The Deadlands, Coldharbour, Apocrypha, Fargrave. Also, we did travel to the Moons already. There are stargates in Elsweyr. The whole plotline of an Elsweyr is based on (4 years old spoiler WARNING)
    the dragon trying to eat the moon's core.
    z6lzw6nbwbhg.jpg
    (picture is taken from UESP)

There were space ships and colonization programs by the Reman Empire, and exploration engines Sun Birds of altmeri. That's the known ones. There is also a space station of Battlespire (we SO need a DLC based here), training facility of Imperial spec-ops. Here's a picture of megalomoth ship by Michael Kirkbride. One of TESO Murkmire books actually made a hint that somewhere in Argonia's swamps one of those things or a similar one lie broken and abandoned.
    yzahjennac5p.jpg

Edited by OgrimTitan on May 7, 2023 9:34AM
  • kyatos_binarini
    kyatos_binarini
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that
    planets = daedric planes = bodies of daedric princess,
    black space = oblivion,
    star light = aetherius,
    mundus = combined bodies of divines
    Edited by kyatos_binarini on May 12, 2023 10:14PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that
    planets = daedric planes = bodies of daedric princess,
    black space = oblivion,
    star light = aetherius,
    mundus = combined bodies of divines

Note: I may get a few things wrong here from opinions, unreliable sources, and the difficulty of this subject, so take with some salt.

Daedric planes are daedric planes or realms. I guess you could argue they’re planets but it’s not how they’re often referred to. They are extensions of the daedric Prince or Demi-Prince or Lord that “owns” the location. However, their actual selves are projected into shapes we actually see and talk to.

Oblivion is void-like, though the real Void is Sithis. The real real void is probably just anything that lies outside of Aetherius. Sithis is in a way the son of Padomay, a primordial god (of which there are two, the other is Anu). As such, Sithis is more of a place than a person but still is revered as a god, as we see in Black Marsh and the Dark Brotherhood.

Aetherius surrounds Oblivion and it is where the planes of the dead (who worship non-Daedric entities) are said to be, which you go to depends on religion rather than solely race. Stars are actually holes in the Mundus that reveal Aetherius. These holes are left by a species called Magna-Ge and a god called Magnus fleeing Mundus as to not be shackled to Nirn. Meridia is actually a Magna-Ge converted into a Daedric Prince, fun fact.

Mundus is surrounded by Oblivion. Within Mundus is where the Aedric planets are, including the 8 (later 9) Divines, Lorkhan’s 3 space objects (Nirn, Masser, Secunda), and eventually Necromancer’s Moon (Mannimarco).

Considering the planes of the dead are in Aetherius and the planets are in Mundus I think that is further proof that the 8 Divines are actually the planets and those planets are not necessarily their Realms.

As an aside note since I brought up Padomay and Anu, there is a reason for the distinction between the seemingly “goodness” of Aedra and “evil” of Daedra. Anu is primordial creation, Padomay is primordial destruction. The Princes (except for a few, such as Meridia and Malacath) are directly Padomaic in origin. The Aedra (except for a few, such as Lorkhan and Talos) are directly Anuic in origin.

Following the conventions, Lorkhan not only gives us Nirn, Masser, and Secunda, he is also the only god who is currently both by definition an Aedra (our ancestor) and Daedra (padomaic).
    Edited by Soarora on May 12, 2023 10:42PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting picture created by @Gidorick many years ago that has some bearing on this. It is a graphic interpretation of the Monomyth.

https://deviantart.com/gidorick/art/Monomyth-of-the-Elder-Scrolls-548745264

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The planets are the living corpses of the Divines. Oblivion exists outside of Mundus, the Divines exist within it but are also their own infinite realms. You cannot see Oblivion in the sky, but you CAN see Aetherius, which is what the sun and stars are. The Void is the emptiness that encapsulates all of that.

You could think of the Void like a big box, then in that box is two smaller boxes (Oblivion and Aetherius), and between them is a third box (Mundus). That third box contains more boxes (Nirn and the Divine Bodies) and has a bunch of holes poked in the side so that it can see the Aetherius box. That's the Cosmology.
  • ColovianHastur
    ColovianHastur
    ✭✭✭
    Ossa Accentium is in Fargrave. What you are seeing are simply features of Fargrave's sky, and unlike what others might claim, they are not the planes of the Mundus.

There also isn't a "solar system". The Mundus follows a geocentric system, with Nirn as the center and everything else around it. What you refer to as "the Sun" and the stars are simply holes in the firmament separating Oblivion and Aetherius created when Magnus and the Magna-Ge fled during Creation. The largest hole (aka, the Sun) is named after its "creator", thus the Sun is called Magnus, but isn't Magnus the Aedra.

Technically speaking, there aren't any planets in the Mundus other than Nirn, as the other celestial bodies are all moons, considering they orbit either Nirn or another of Nirn's moons. Consider also that the term "moon" in TES is a synonym for "attendant spirit", thus the moons are all attendant spirits of Nirn.

Masser and Secunda (or Jode and Jone respectivley) are the two moons you can see in the sky of Nirn. There is another third moon hidden by these called the "Den of Lorkhaj", which is the rotting corpse of the Missing God (aka Lorkhan, Shezarr, Lorkhaj, Sheor, Shor, Lorkh, etc.)
    Shazah (dialogue during The Den of Lorkhaj quest)
    "We've walked the Two Moons Path, the path of Jone and Jode. But there is a third moon: The Dark Moon, the enemy of the Khajiit, Lorkhaj, the Missing God. This is the secret at the end of the Path … we must travel to the Den of Lorkhaj."
    It's going to be that bad?
    "It gets worse. Legend says that the Missing God is dead. That the Den … it is his body. The great emptiness of the Den is the decaying corpse of a dead god."

The other moons/planets are often identified with the Aedra, but we don't know if they are actually the Aedra they are identified as. For example, one of them is called "Dibella", but Dibella is a goddess worshipped only by the human religions, as she doesn't feature in any of the elven pantheons. So would the elves identify that planet as Dibella? That is doubtful.

Either way, the planets themselves are too the remains of Aedric spirits who sacrificed themselves during Creation - the Aedra.
    Lyranth the Foolkiller Answers Your Questions
    Second, you make the common mortal error of conflating the craven et'Ada who fled creation to Aetherius with the foolish et'Ada who sacrificed their power to create the Mundus, that theater that serves as their cemetery.

There is a reason why the Aedra are called the "mortal gods", or the "ehlnada" in the elven languages. Their physical bodies became the earth-bones and their spirits have departed to the afterlife.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But can Skyrim Into Space?
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.