The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do item sets trigger status effects?

UNSeki
UNSeki
✭✭✭
Since we have Minor Breach on wall of ice now, I'm looking into making my dual ice staff tank build more status focused. So I tried to google this, but I kept getting other results.

I was reading Frozen Watcher's description:
(5 items) Summon a blizzard around you while you are Bracing, inflicting 496 Frost Damage every 1 second to enemies within 6 meters. This effect scales off your Max Health. Your blizzard has a 15% chance of inflicting Chilled on enemies damaged.

Does this mean that sets don't have a base chance of triggering status effects (the 1% regular AoE DoT that skills have), or that they do but this set replaces that base chance for a higher 15% for the Chilled status effect?

I saw people saying that Frozen Watcher is unnecessary nowadays due to Pulsar with Charged having enough of a chance to trigger brittle on multiple enemies. I get that, but this doesn't really answer my question of whether item sets themselves can trigger status effects or if this is exclusive to sets like Frozen Watcher, Burning Spellweave, etc.

Best Answer

• Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if it's specifically stated as being applied by the set. Frozen watcher will have a 15% chance while others such as plaguebreak have a guaranteed status effect application. The actual damage from sets is considered proc damage and as such cannot trigger other procs such as status effects or other sets. So for example the flame damage from Sunderflame would have 0% chance to proc burning as I understand it.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on April 30, 2023 4:27AM
    Answer ✓
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if the set mentions an effect that's what it gives. so it is only sets like Frozen Watcher yes
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • UNSeki
    UNSeki
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies. I'll have to factor that in for my build.