The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

can you keep a secret?

LuC1ll3atTh3Wh33L
LuC1ll3atTh3Wh33L
✭✭✭
for the purpose of this thread i'm defining "secrets" as any in-game location/item/mob/node/whatever not known or not widely known.

in the 30+ years i've been participating in this grand psychological experiement we like to call "mmo's" i have learned what i call secrets in the game. not easter eggs. not exploits. i learned on my own by exploring or someone else clued me in. i am really very curious (using "really" and "very" to add weight to my inquiry) if anyone else has experienced this. can you provide examples (doesn't have to be this realm)?

I have one from loooong ago. kunark was just released. it had a large lake of ill omen and no one explored the lake itself initially. friends and i did one day. not that i mind others in my playground, but that location soon became quite popular.
You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them....
-Johnny
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best secret I ever had was Monkey's Rest in Auridon. I used it to farm tons and tons of gold. Everyone knew of the place but nobody knew its significance. You can kill all the monkeys there for meat. So far so obvious. How is that significant? Well, the number of monkeys there is very large and if you know the right provisioning recipe and have the skill that creates 4 items per craft, you'd create items worth more gold to NPCs than their ingredients were worth.
    So I would spend my day buying up all the flour that was sold at a low enough value for me to make a profit (practically all of it) and then kept farming those monkeys until eventually I single-handedly made the flour price go up so much that it wasn't profitable anymore. Clearly nobody else had thought of that yet as the flour price would have been higher otherwise.

And that was the time I was personally responsible for flour to double in value. It probably doesn't work anymore now because of the lasting damage I did to the economy back then. xD
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I can.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    The best secret I ever had was Monkey's Rest in Auridon. I used it to farm tons and tons of gold. Everyone knew of the place but nobody knew its significance. You can kill all the monkeys there for meat. So far so obvious. How is that significant? Well, the number of monkeys there is very large and if you know the right provisioning recipe and have the skill that creates 4 items per craft, you'd create items worth more gold to NPCs than their ingredients were worth.
    So I would spend my day buying up all the flour that was sold at a low enough value for me to make a profit (practically all of it) and then kept farming those monkeys until eventually I single-handedly made the flour price go up so much that it wasn't profitable anymore. Clearly nobody else had thought of that yet as the flour price would have been higher otherwise.

And that was the time I was personally responsible for flour to double in value. It probably doesn't work anymore now because of the lasting damage I did to the economy back then. xD

i didnt think of using it like that, but i do like to go there to complete endeavors such as "kill X enemies with weapon (or class) skills"
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No secrets but some random quirks, one player's 'duh' is another player's treasure:
    -If you give your character a good swirl in your character screen, they will act annoyed.
    -sneaking and disarming a scuttlebloom in Murkmire will rarely drop an animated furnishing of a scuttlebloom.
    -you can pick up and stroke a cat called Warmseeker in Gonfalon Bay
    -you can dance with a dog called Jarl Woof somewhere in Blackwood
    -except in Summerset you can also farm clams for clamgall and mother of pearl around the islands of High Isle.
    -Vaults of Madness has the largest drop & survivable landing I know in game.
    -the armor on the chair next to the prince of Madness in the alliance base in Cyrodiil, looks like a little fellow.
    -the shadow of a statuette on a hidden shrine in the sewers of Rimmen, will project the Clavicus Vile on the wall holding a mask symbol on a banner.

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoraxFlux wrote: »
    No secrets but some random quirks, one player's 'duh' is another player's treasure:
    -If you give your character a good swirl in your character screen, they will act annoyed.
    -sneaking and disarming a scuttlebloom in Murkmire will rarely drop an animated furnishing of a scuttlebloom.
    -except in Summerset you can also farm clams for clamgall and mother of pearl around the islands of High Isle.
    -the armor on the chair next to the prince of Madness in the alliance base in Cyrodiil, looks like a little fellow.
    -the shadow of a statuette on a hidden shrine in the sewers of Rimmen, will project the Clavicus Vile on the wall holding a mask symbol on a banner.

i have managed to die on that drop lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I need to know how :P

• Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to one shot enemies with prismatic onslaught and stealth. I kept it a secret for a while... but one day I made a topic about how much I loved prismatic onslaught because it helped me solo group delves in craglorn... and the very next week PTS notes said they were removing prismatic onslaught. Now I keep my secrets forever. 🥴
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I need to know how :P

high movement speed + a good momentum carry and you can actually land on one of those floating platforms above where the doorway is to continue the dungeon lol

if i dont get quite that good of speed i have still managed to miss the water at times lol

for another really cool drop, do the graven deep dungeon lol
    Edited by Necrotech_Master on April 28, 2023 8:59PM
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • LuC1ll3atTh3Wh33L
    LuC1ll3atTh3Wh33L
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can.

lol

i've done the character swirl on all my toons, was amused enough to lol.
    is it sad i have no clue what the other mentions are?
    You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them....
    -Johnny
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭

How do you disarm? Is it a skill?
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to sneak up to it until you see a prompt for 'Disarm' (I think, cant remember exact word, but you will see the option)
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tenthirty2 wrote: »

You have to sneak up to it until you see a prompt for 'Disarm' (I think, cant remember exact word, but you will see the option)

I have never seen that! I'm on a nightblade too.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    going to go try it now.

update...okay it works, the command is Incapacitate
    Edited by SpiritKitten on April 29, 2023 12:17AM
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SpiritKitten Tenthirty2 is right, you would approach in the same way someone would disarm a trap. For a scuttlebloom the prompt is just "Take". Failing to sneak will cause the scuttlebloom to stop it's swaying dance and become rigid and unlootable for a while. I can't tell you anything about the drop-rate of the furnishing, If guildtraders can give some kind of a clue: I have seen prices for scuttleblooms range from 55000 to 70000.

A scuttlebloom is non-aggressive, for other aggressive flora, the prompt is " incapacitate", those are unlootable.
    Edited by BoraxFlux on April 29, 2023 12:55AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least one of the enemy followers inside the dungeon that you first meet Fennorian in (Unhallowed Grave?) is amused by the fate of their leader. She makes a joke about
    it that you can overhear because she thinks she's not being listened to by anyone but her fellow cohorts.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 29, 2023 1:51AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what the command is for consoles, but on PC if you are stationary on your mount and press the space bar, it will emote according to it's type. I'm sure many have known about that from the beginning, but it's something I never saw mentioned and found out about completely by accident.

I used to one shot enemies with prismatic onslaught and stealth. I kept it a secret for a while... but one day I made a topic about how much I loved prismatic onslaught because it helped me solo group delves in craglorn... and the very next week PTS notes said they were removing prismatic onslaught. Now I keep my secrets forever. 🥴

But ZOS specifically said they changed that glyph for performance reasons, because it had to check a long list of enemies and was making too many server calls.

Interesting.

Edited by Jaraal on April 29, 2023 2:10AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my previous mmo I learned to survive staying at forbidden zone (entering would start countdown and kill player if they did not leave) and pretty quickly found my way out from most zones and dungeons and some interesing features out there. Like exploring couple of unreleased zones under construction, color and detail palettes and large pieces of old versions of maps. I suspect means to skip kill might have been an intentional secret: an early daily login reward toy which turned player to a bush which did not take environmental damage. (In that game every account got same login reward list to pick trough with no fear of missing any.)
    Afaik this game just requires finding a place to climb out out of zone past invisible walls, and what little I know do not have particulay interesting debris out of map beyond the normal exotism of unbuilt world. There are some places like north of Vvardenfell where its supposedly possible to swim thru slaughterfish to explore with a tanky argonian. But I have not yet been curious enough to dust mine off to try. (After cp and skill resets.)
    Edited by rpa on April 29, 2023 4:14AM
  • irswat
    irswat
    ✭✭✭✭
    In sanctum ophidia there is a dead guy in a beach chair with a beer bucket hidden behind the scaffolding after killing Ozara and going through the chest room. This is right before the troll feeding pit, another secret many don't know about.
    The Lord Jesus Christ saved me from sin and darkness. His love has transformed me so that I am a new creature in Him. May you find Him too, and experience His richness and goodness!
  • BoraxFlux
    BoraxFlux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -you can bite/get bitten at any vampire-shrine, but only the vampire shrine in your current alliance's territory will bear the statue of Mother Lamae,

-there is a (public)dungeon or delve where if you save(?) a wolf pup, an adult wolf will lead you to/dig up some kind of treasure for you. This is how it is settled in my memory, did a few delves and public dungeons today to try and find the one, but didn't succeed. I remember the wolf was in some extremity of a valley. It did not seem to be a part of any quest. Not 100% sure about the details as it was years ago.
    EDIT: found it, it is the Howling Sepulchers Delve in Craglorn

-there is a horse in Vulkhel Guard that has the best horse anatomy/rig of all horses in Tamriel and the planes beyond:
    ESO-horse-anatomy.jpg

-the only toilets I've seen, except perhaps of an inconspicuous bucket, barrel or bowl here and there, are in Bright Throat's Village:
    20230429142847-1.jpg

Edited by BoraxFlux on April 29, 2023 2:32PM
  • Anifaas
    Anifaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coldharbour, The Lost Fleet: heavy crates are everywhere. Lots of lootable containers and chests as well. I go there to fill up my larder.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Not sure what the command is for consoles, but on PC if you are stationary on your mount and press the space bar, it will emote according to it's type. I'm sure many have known about that from the beginning, but it's something I never saw mentioned and found out about completely by accident.

It’s the jump command while completely stationary. In gamepad mode the default is X (PS) or A (XBox). I think if you rebind jump, it will be that new keybind instead, but I haven’t tested it.