The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Road to grand overlord seems impossible

HalitCan
HalitCan
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone im a player who wants to get all the achievements in the game. Im like 90% done, only difficult ones that im missing are the trial trifectas and pvp rank achievements. I have been playing in cyrodiil for a couple of months now, im at rank 32 (27% done for the grand overlord). I am using the 50% war torte + moras whispers for boosting my ap gain. I rarely kill the delve boss as well but still this grand overlord achievement looks like its gonna take at least a year to get. I joined some pvp guilds with the hopes of finding ap grinding players but i couldnt. Is there any tips and tricks that you can give to me because even tho cyrodiil is fun ,its getting boring and i feel like im working instead of having fun. Thank you in advance and have a nice day :smile: .

Best Answer

• Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not that hard these days. You will soon 2 Mayhems, so use these events wisely. I had Grand Overlord, where more than last 20 million AP I get during two events and then I didn't have Mora mythic.

Most effective is using combination of all bonuses - events double, war torte, Mora, bonus from killing delve boss (try to keep it most of time) and also very important thing - during event it's quite easy to look for low pop campaigns, which gives huge bonus. From previous event I remember that there are whole groups of players, who look for low pops, farm AP like crazy and when bonus ends, they look for new campaign. I found it on last event, so most of way I achieved without it, but when I found this trick - it was so much quicker. Sometimes I made 2 million AP(not base, but after war torte bonus) in one day (many hours of play, but still).

Also remember that event campaigns are more wild and there are so much higher gains of base AP, when you don't fight half a hour for one keep. If you are quick and you know what's going on from map, it's easy to leech AP from different places - for example gain reward for 2 keeps which were sieged at same time, but you know which was will taken first, so you have time to "touch" both. Also it's good to collect juicy defend tick - you just repair some wall, leave place to defend by others and in meantime leech some keep taken by other group. You must be flexible and adapt to be in many place at once :)

It's just much easier when you are experienced and you understand Cyrodiil environment well, which is fair :)
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
    Answer ✓
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten it a while ago, and I did it the same way, with the 50% torte and the Mora's shoulders. It's very tedious indeed, and requires a lot of hours. I could have used the other tortes (and if you can afford it, it's a good idea), but I didn't think it was worth the expense, because I didn't play on primetime, and couldn't always find fights when the tortes were ticking, so most of their timer would be wasted, thus I stuck with the 50% one which is very cheap to craft or buy. Sometimes when the map was slow, I'd jump into a delve to get the delve boss buff (I always picked the same delve near one of the keeps which were in my alliance possession most of the time, and then memorized the route to the boss), but that was mostly when I was closer to 50 and getting impatient. I think it's worth it to wait for the MYM in your case though since it will be next month, and the AP gain during it is really high, not only because of the buff but because there's so many players on and the battles are usually huge), or you can do as much as you can until then, and then grind the last levels during the event. Regardless, always keep an eye on the chat and the map to try and get as many offense/defense ticks as possible, and use port stones if you have to quickly port somewhere for a tick--just being in the range of the keep when the tick happens will grant you the AP (the AP counter addon if you're on PC tells you if you are in range). Also, if there is a big fight try to have a damage ticking on many enemies and heal ticking on many allies to passively get AP from those kills and heals as well.
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As said in the thread already, you'll have 2 Mayhem events soon, which will get you a lot of progress. Not only because of the double AP boost, but also because it is way easier to find action (and therefore AP) on the map.

Other tips I can give:

- Try again to join a guild. For AP farming, a casual guild is usually the best as they tend to focus more on capping keeps/resources and don't spent a lot of time in 1 place. Just find a guild that does runs a few times a week and that'll net you a steady 'income' of AP. Whenever I play with my casual guild, we make about 200-300k AP in an evening. Add to that the war torte and you're looking at around 400k rank progression for a chill run. When I farmed my first GO, I played solo 95% of the time, which took a lot more energy out of me, as I constantly had to find ways of making AP by myself.
    - When playing solo, try to spend your time well. There's little point in trying to grind AP on an empty map in the middle of the day. Try to figure out when your alliance in your campaign of choice usually starts taking over the map. Things like morning caps are essentially free AP, and while they don't lead to fun PVP, they do provide an efficient and low effort way of progressing towards your next rank. Playing during prime time is also a good idea as this is when the most keep/resource flips happen, and you might get some nice ticks for defending your alliance's territory.
    - See if there's a campaign on your server that frequently grants low population bonus to your alliance. Having low pop does usually mean that you'll be facing more outnumbered fights, but to give an example, I've gotten ticks of up to 10k for a single resource during Whitestrake's Mayhem when my alliance had low pop.
    - When you look for info online, you'll often see people saying it's easier to get AP as a healer. They probably changed the way AP works since then, because my experience is the opposite. As a DD, you can get up to 2.1k or so for a single kill (of course higher during Mayhem and/or low-pop), which provides a nice layer of AP on top of any keep/resource captures you are participating in.
    - Abandon stalemates. It can be extremely frustrating to be stuck in a part of the map where you're maybe making 5k AP in half an hour because the alliances are stuck sieging each other.
    - The delve buff is a double-edged sword in the sense that waiting for a delve boss to appear can make you lose out on so many fights that it becomes a net loss. What I did when I farmed emp was simple: I would only get the buff when the server was dead, so that the most I'd miss was maybe a farm flipping somewhere. I'd also get it when I was about to log off, so the next time I'd enter Cyro, I was ready to go all-in with a fresh buff. If my buff ran out and the map had a lot of action, I simply postponed renewing it until the map died down again.

In general, though, if you just want the achievements and are not in a big hurry, just no-life the Mayhem events and do other things inbetween them.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought war torte was not modifying AP gains but only skill line xp ?
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on April 28, 2023 1:20PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • WaywardArgonian
    WaywardArgonian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sotha_Sil wrote: »

Torte does not give you more AP, but it does give you more rank progression.

So for example, say you repair a wall for a total of 1k AP. You will have 1k AP more in your inventory, but you will have progressed 1500 AP towards your next rank. This works all the way up to rank 50, cutting a lot off the grind towards Grand Overlord.

Originally, the item's tooltip said it only increased the progress in the skill lines, but when people pointed this out, the tooltip was adjusted to reflect its full functionality.
    PC/EU altaholic | Smallscale & ballgroup healer | Former Empanada of Ravenwatch | @ degonyte in-game | Nibani Ilath-Pal (AD Nightblade) - AvA rank 50 | Jehanne Teymour (AD Sorcerer) - AvA rank 50 | Niria Ilath-Pal (AD Templar) - AvA rank 50
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sotha_Sil wrote: »

It modifies AP necessary to get achievements and level skill lines. It just doesn't modify the actual currency that you earn.

To the OP, you need a total of 64,680,000 AP to go from 0 to Grand Overlord.

With a 50% torte and Mora, that drops significantly to 40,425,000 needed. So, at 100K AP a day, it would take 404 days to get there. It is a lot, but it is an achievement that I think is meant to take some time in PVP to do.

I am down to needing around 30M total AP left, or just around 20M with torte and mara. Still a grueling grind ahead, but I am going to make a huge push against it during the firs MYM event.

• ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HalitCan wrote: »
    Hello everyone im a player who wants to get all the achievements in the game. Im like 90% done, only difficult ones that im missing are the trial trifectas and pvp rank achievements. I have been playing in cyrodiil for a couple of months now, im at rank 32 (27% done for the grand overlord). I am using the 50% war torte + moras whispers for boosting my ap gain. I rarely kill the delve boss as well but still this grand overlord achievement looks like its gonna take at least a year to get. I joined some pvp guilds with the hopes of finding ap grinding players but i couldnt. Is there any tips and tricks that you can give to me because even tho cyrodiil is fun ,its getting boring and i feel like im working instead of having fun. Thank you in advance and have a nice day :smile: .

It is a long road to GO for sure, but you just have to keep at it. And, if you look at how much AP you need, it works out to roughly being level 40 is only 1/2 way to GO. Level 30 is only 1/2 way to level 40 and so on. The closer you get to GO, the more AP you need to rank up. Those last two levels to get to GO are long slogs for sure.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I first started pvping in 2014 I thought it would take me forever just to get to rank 24, which at the time was what was needed to reach level 10 on Assault and Support. I got to grand overlord about 4 years after that in the summer of 2018, it wasn't the same character I began the journey with but it turned out stamblade wasn't as conducive to group pvp play as magplar.

A lot of it is just getting used to the flow of combat, knowing your character/class/spec well enough so that you're able to react more quickly, and understanding how different opponents are trying to fight against you. Even then it can still be difficult, but with a decent group you can still make a lot of AP even if you're not always successful at capturing or defending. Sometimes you have to die a lot to figure out how to die less.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive been making good progress there too, my highest pvp rank toon is rank 45 right now (about 2 mil ap from rank 46)

the xp curve is really bad for the ranks

as mentioned its around 64 mil AP to get from 0 to rank 50, but you hit the halfway mark for this at rank 40, so those last 10 ranks are around 32 mil AP compared to 32 mil AP divided across 40 ranks

the war tortes do help a ton, and im hoping i can make significant progress to finally hitting rank 50 during the next 2 pvp events

ive been playing for a little over 9 years and hitting rank 50 is one of the few things i havent done lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive been making good progress there too, my highest pvp rank toon is rank 45 right now (about 2 mil ap from rank 46)

as mentioned its around 64 mil AP to get from 0 to rank 50, but you hit the halfway mark for this at rank 40, so those last 10 ranks are around 32 mil AP compared to 32 mil AP divided across 40 ranks

the war tortes do help a ton, and im hoping i can make significant progress to finally hitting rank 50 during the next 2 pvp events

ive been playing for a little over 9 years and hitting rank 50 is one of the few things i havent done lol

I think the most frustrating part of it all for me, is that when I first started PVP, I played on alt characters. So 10 or so of my alts have enough combined AP for like 2 or 3 GOs. But none of my characters have it outright. Really wished account wide AP gain would have been taken into account during the account wide achievements switchover for these.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

I think the most frustrating part of it all for me, is that when I first started PVP, I played on alt characters. So 10 or so of my alts have enough combined AP for like 2 or 3 GOs. But none of my characters have it outright. Really wished account wide AP gain would have been taken into account during the account wide achievements switchover for these.

Several of my friends have this same problem, like 10 characters in the low to mid 30s. I wouldn't mind account wide ranks, though I'd feel pretty silly going into a lowbie bg on a new character with five stars next to my name lol.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

yeah i have about 4 characters in the 15-20 in ranks, then a few other toons i basically never taken into pvp (partially because im spending all the time on my NB)

it took a bit to decide which toon i wanted to really focus on which is why i have a few at other ranks
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you actually try to gain AP itll feel like a lifetime. Just play and itll come.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• Gaeliannas
    Gaeliannas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you actually try to gain AP itll feel like a lifetime. Just play and itll come.

^^^This.

Since your focus is on getting rank 50, good luck, and you need to learn how to maximize AP gain really well if you haven't yet. If you are not getting at least 50K AP/hr (100K during MYM) you really need to up your game. Addons like AP Meter will tell you that info, or you can calculate manually. And not to depress you, but I think rank 40 is the halfway point to rank 50.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive been making some good progress, to give an idea i started the event at rank 45 with 1.8 million AP to hit rank 46

as of last night, im already about 1/4 of the way to rank 48 (ive been gaining about 400k+ ap per play session +50% because ive been eating war tortes like candy lol)

im hoping to reach rank 48 and start making progress towards rank 49 by the end of this event

on the weekdays ive been doing about 400-500k ap in about a 4-5 hour period (so for rank progress that is 600-750k ap with the war tortes)

when i have more time on the weekends i was doing about 700-900k ap during the day (1.05-1.35 mil AP rank progress with the war torte)

because of how much ap is needed per rank at this stage (going from rank 47 to 48 is 3.6 million), it still takes several days to get through 1 rank (i think im roughly 2.8 million ap from rank 48 now)

so a lot of this is just knowing where to get your AP + war tortes + time and it goes fast

something thats very motivating for me is using the addon "alliance rank progress" which adds an xp bar for your alliance rank with a number that shows how much ap to rank up so you can more visually see progress and see how much more left to go
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master