The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What happened to Templar?

Anti_Virus
Anti_Virus
✭✭✭✭✭

I primarily play warden or DK so I didn’t really have a templar maxed out at the time, but now
I just started playing this game again after quitting for 1 year and now templars seem to deal NO damage now. Backlash and its morphs tickle players and pvp and Jabs hits like a noodle. Why did Templar get changed so much?
Edited by Anti_Virus on May 3, 2023 5:41PM
Power Wealth And Influence.
  • Anti_Virus
    Anti_Virus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheveyo wrote: »
    [snip]

That’s definitely how it feels right now

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 1, 2023 12:23PM
    Power Wealth And Influence.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sweeps/jabs animation change i just couldnt sit with either, was what i needed to move onto classes i wanted to become proficient at and classes i previously used to use alot more.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Backlash is bugged in PvP right now. It has been since U35 and tickles players because of it. ZOS has yet to even comment on it, so report it, make posts about it, and make sure they know.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templar was gutted. literally ruined.

beamplar is all u got left for pvp.

tis a shame, honestly. i dont even play templar, but i wish they were still competitive, as i’d like to see more than 2 classes in pvp.

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The damage/heal nerf to sweeps really hurt the class. Sweeps was NOT overpowered since it forced you to build for melee range with loads of mag regen to support heavy use of sweeps.

I used to play a magplar with sweeps as simply a part of her skills when in close. After the nerf, sweeps is not worth the bar space. So my magplar went to shards until execute then beam like so many other players who did not simply leave the class. It seems the perception that 'every templar is a jabplar' was simply changed to 'every templar is a shard/beamplar'. Prior to the dumpster fire known as Update 35, both these builds were viable. Now, only the shard/beamplar remains viable. If the intent was to the reduce the number of templars and make those who remain the same, congratulations.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on April 26, 2023 3:12PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Templar got wrecked so hard. It was always a strong class in PVE and PVP, sometimes dominant, but never to the point of "Nerf all Templars" that we have with DKs and had with Nightblades.

Nobody ever said that the Templar class was a difficult class to run effectively, especially in comparison to a Nightblade. But then to seemingly replace Templars with the Oakensorc HA builds? What's next, a one-button build? I would much rather have jabs/sweeps back than run the uber complex rotation of fury-shock-frags-shock-frags-shock-frags-ulti-repeat.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why Templar got wrecked so hard. It was always a strong class in PVE and PVP, sometimes dominant, but never to the point of "Nerf all Templars" that we have with DKs and had with Nightblades.

Nobody ever said that the Templar class was a difficult class to run effectively, especially in comparison to a Nightblade. But then to seemingly replace Templars with the Oakensorc HA builds? What's next, a one-button build? I would much rather have jabs/sweeps back than run the uber complex rotation of fury-shock-frags-shock-frags-shock-frags-ulti-repeat.

I played a PVE stamplar, apparently that was a 1 button build if you look back! I really couldn't face basically being an orc magplar in a stamplar body with everything that happened in U35 :(
    Soupy twist
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In trying to fathom why Templar was nerfed so hard, while at the same time NB was buffed significantly, one wonders if there is a relationship there.

For example, was someone who likes to play Nightblade frustrated by Templar's jabs keeping them out of cloak?

It is very difficult to understand why Templar went from competitive (NOT THE TOP: See DK) to a weak class relegated to spamming RO (beamplar), while DK, clearly and objectively that most overpowered class, not only avoided nerfs, but received a buff? While NB was also elevated (via numerous very powerful buffs) to perhaps even higher than DK?

I have yet to see any rationale for this. Can anyone help?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »

I played a PVE stamplar, apparently that was a 1 button build if you look back! I really couldn't face basically being an orc magplar in a stamplar body with everything that happened in U35 :(

LOL. It was pretty close. Jab jab jab jab jab. But at least you had some AOE to keep track of on the back bar instead of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzap, frags, zzzzzzzzzzzzap...
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why was Templar nerfed so hard? Thank streamers who constantly produced videos titled, "Godplar is once again number 1". When streamers are constantly stating how Templar is the top class FOR YEARS... eventually ZOS was going to nerf it. However, streamers are STILL putting Templar as #2 or #3 top class in ESO... and many have started adding Sweeps back into their rotations as well even with the nerf to its damage.

Considering ZOS has full access to the damage numbers being produced by all the classes, apparently they feel that what players are saying and what they are seeing with in-game results, do not match up. Perhaps after Arcanist has had it's spotlight for a couple of months, ZOS will buff Templar again... maybe. But again, they have access to the numbers and it's based on what they see, that they adjust.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled a magplar and even as a ranged gank build it still mainly is a beamplar.

Recently leveled a stamdk, totally different damage level. Actually night and day.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never understood why they changed jabs either... The new animation is not that big of a deal for me. Somedays I like it actually but for the love of god WHY did they reduce the damage so much and reduced the snare to 0.5 seconds?

They should increase the snare to 1 sec and increase the damage by 5-10%. I still use jabs in PVP but it's not what gives me the majority of my frags.
  • nemesrichard
    nemesrichard
    ✭✭✭
    This is the main problem of nerfing HA because it is the only way now play a Dps templar. But because HA sorc is good they decided to nerf HA for all classes.