The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Triggering Hrothgar's Chill

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I am trying out HC and it says: "Stunning or immobilizing your enemy ". I am using a Resto Staf (don't ask) and there is no stun. So I have added the poison Escapist or Entrapping but it seems to take effect pretty rarely. I was hoping to nail some ball groups.

Otherwise I try to use Shield Assault (which stuns) but then I am in the middle of a ball group, and it rarely goes well for me....

Suggestions on how to increase my chance of stun at a distance?

Tankz,

Z
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    If your looking at hurting a ball group or defending a keep, you’ll want a mass stun. Stunning a single person isn’t going to do a whole lot. What class are you?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are not many AOE stuns that can be launched from a distance. Bow skill Bombard is probably the the best one for what you are looking for. Necro's Ghostly Embrace, Sorc's Encase, and Vampire Mesmerize are three direction-type AOEs I can think of. But most are either single target or the area around you. Some have talked about Time Stop, but you can get out of it before the stun.

I prefer the unblockable stuns like Mesmerize and Fossilize when using Hrothgar's. Dawnbreaker of Smiting is also a solid stun for Hrothgar. Its a really reliable set. I run in on a 2H/S&B Stam Necro with Clever Alchemist, a DW/Resto DK with Mara's Balm if I want to be tankier, or with DW/2H DK with Rush of Agony.

I would assume Hrothgar's on an ice Warden using Gripping Shards would be pretty effective, too
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    If your looking at hurting a ball group or defending a keep, you’ll want a mass stun. Stunning a single person isn’t going to do a whole lot. What class are you?

Stamplar.
    I realize there is no mass stunning. But I should have put in the whole HR effect

"Stunning or immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 13% of their total Physical and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds, ignores Spell Resistance, and cannot be blocked."

it causes damage to a lot of enemies. That on top of what the rest of my alliance is doing adds up. So I want to get at least one stun.immobilize in a ball group, so many take some damage. Hopefully it wears that ball group down a little more.

Could I also wear Plaguebreak?

Does this make more sense?

Thanks @Amerises
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Access to stuns: class skills Charge or Javelin, bow skill bombard, shield skill shield assault, fighters guild dawnbreaker or trap, mages guild meteor or volcanic rune, and psijic time freeze

Shield assault, charge, and javelin all have a range of 22m. Trap, rune, meteor, have 28m range, and meteor is AoE stun. Bombard I believe is 22m, but don’t quote me, and is also AoE.

That being said, if I were you, and not wanting to be a suicide bomber, I’d use a bow, with plaguebreak (and HC of course), with Balrogh. I’d slot meteor, bombard, razor caltrops, and a bunch of survival skills.

If meteor isn’t ready, you could use snipe/LA and PotL to deal damage and gain ultimate, and with an opportunity to use bombard if you’re close enough. Your bomb would be meteor, caltrops (before meteor hits), and spam bombard after meteor lands until you need to scoot. I wouldn’t PotL the meteor person, as that gives them about 3 seconds to react, knowing a combo is coming, which is a long time.
    Edited by Amerises on April 25, 2023 11:47AM
  • OnGodiDoDis
    OnGodiDoDis
    ✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

Stamplar.
    I realize there is no mass stunning. But I should have put in the whole HR effect

"Stunning or immobilizing your enemy causes them to burst with frost magic, applying the Chilled status effect and dealing 13% of their total Physical and Spell Resistance as Frost Damage to themselves and enemies within 8 meters of them. This effect can occur once every 7 seconds, ignores Spell Resistance, and cannot be blocked."

it causes damage to a lot of enemies. That on top of what the rest of my alliance is doing adds up. So I want to get at least one stun.immobilize in a ball group, so many take some damage. Hopefully it wears that ball group down a little more.

Thanks @Amerises

Templar does have a mass stun: Nova. You also have Turn Evil for the Fighter's Guild. I'm pretty sure ball groups can handle a little HC, though. If you really want to hurt ball groups, drop a negate.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

Stamplar.

Thanks @Amerises

Templar does have a mass stun: Nova. You also have Turn Evil for the Fighter's Guild. I'm pretty sure ball groups can handle a little HC, though. If you really want to hurt ball groups, drop a negate.

Does fear count as a stun? I thought they were different. Also, can you synergize your own Nova? If so, that would be kind of nice, but I think OP wants to do a distance stun.

I would tend to agreed, HC and plaguebreak is still probably not going to kill a ball group. Potentially a Zerg on a door or a flag though 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think OP is trying to solo bomb and kill a ball group, they just want to put a little dent in to contribute damage to their alliances effort. And since OP seems to be using a Resto Staff and a Sword and Shield I think Hrothgars is the right choice for the job. Hrothgar has better bonuses for tanking, and the damage proc doesn't scale off weapon damage.

Plaguebreak would not be better under these circumstances. I've had success with Hrothgar... But I was on a Warden, and like someone else said I used Gripping shards primarily to proc it (or wait to combo it with Dawnbreaker if I'm trying to kill instead of pressure.)

Hrothgar is probably best on a Warden for lots of reasons... But I do think some guild skills could be used to proc it. Turn Evil, Mesmerize, or Time Stop would all be decent options. Either way, I would try very hard to proc it with something other than an Ultimate because to me @Zama666 it sounds like you're trying to be pretty tanky and I would use defensive ultis instead.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @OBJnoob - yup - you got it! Just put a dent in them, hopefully someone in the group dies or is weakened enuff so the ball declines.

Escapist and Trapping poison do immobilize but usually on the fringes of the group, not in the middle.
    Same with Shield Assault.
    Guess I will give Dawnbreaker a go!

Tankz every1!!!

Z