Update 40 featuring the Endless Archive is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Tri-Focus and Empower in Imperial City

Ren_TheRedFox
Ren_TheRedFox
✭✭✭
Hello folks,

I wanted to "warn" those of you who don't know the trick with the lightning staff and tri-focus in PvP zones like the Imperial City. Currently, many people are "abusing" the power of the Empower buff and tri-focus in PvP zones. They just heavy attack an NPC and proc Tri-Focus and hit other players with 30k damage and kill them instantly. I think it's unfair to everyone who spends their time killing these bosses, which takes 5 minutes if you solo them, and then suddenly another person from another faction shows up and kills you and all your efforts were for nothing.
@ZOS_Kevin can you please do something about this problem because it really drives away a lot of players from the Imperial City.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 24, 2023 3:16AM
  • Ren_TheRedFox
    Ren_TheRedFox
    ✭✭✭
    @KiltMaster I don't know if you've every tried roll dodging Tri-Focus attacks cause I did and I can tell you it doesn't work. And about the gank/bomber builds ... those builds require skills ... people risk their lifes to get a nice bomb/gank while heavy attack tri-focus builds do not .... and another thing with IC is that we need some sort of "Faction Lock" like in Gray Host for at least one day cause you always have people who get salty because they have to "share" the bosses with other people from their faction and then they switch to the other faction to gank them and "steal" their Tel Var which doesn't sound good at all.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can always just build tankier w more resist then you're not going to take all that damage.

    Also I'm not going to debate certain builds needing 'skill' and having 'risk' because that is a slippery slope that I'm not interested in arguing about.

    I think having a faction-locked IC is a totally different discussion that I'm not necessarily opposed to.

    That said - yeah ganking people and stealing tel var tho is part of how IC works. Again - risk vs reward.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's definitely a bug. Someone heavy attacking an npc near an enemy player (with empower) will get a much larger damage tick for tri focus on the player than if they were attacking a second enemy player in the same location. Empower shouldn't apply to damage to another player but it does. Battle spirit should apply, but it doesn't.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Is it a confirmed bug or are people just now upset about it because of the prevalance of HA builds?

    not a bug, just like any other bow gank, HA gank, bombing, burst dps etc. folks are just upset because of increased visibility of the HA builds
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    haelgaan wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Is it a confirmed bug or are people just now upset about it because of the prevalance of HA builds?

    not a bug, just like any other bow gank, HA gank, bombing, burst dps etc. folks are just upset because of increased visibility of the HA builds

    That is exactly what I was thinking
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    haelgaan wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Is it a confirmed bug or are people just now upset about it because of the prevalance of HA builds?

    not a bug, just like any other bow gank, HA gank, bombing, burst dps etc. folks are just upset because of increased visibility of the HA builds

    That is exactly what I was thinking

    That's not true at all, it is a bug that Tri Focus bypasses Battle Spirit.

    It's also an uncounterable build. There is literally no way to counter undodgeable, unblockable 30k ticks of damage that come from stealth. You're dead in an instant.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    haelgaan wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Is it a confirmed bug or are people just now upset about it because of the prevalance of HA builds?

    not a bug, just like any other bow gank, HA gank, bombing, burst dps etc. folks are just upset because of increased visibility of the HA builds

    That is exactly what I was thinking

    That's not true at all, it is a bug that Tri Focus bypasses Battle Spirit.

    It's also an uncounterable build. There is literally no way to counter undodgeable, unblockable 30k ticks of damage that come from stealth. You're dead in an instant
    .

    That's how I feel about gank builds, too, sometimes
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    haelgaan wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Is it a confirmed bug or are people just now upset about it because of the prevalance of HA builds?

    not a bug, just like any other bow gank, HA gank, bombing, burst dps etc. folks are just upset because of increased visibility of the HA builds

    That is exactly what I was thinking

    That's not true at all, it is a bug that Tri Focus bypasses Battle Spirit.

    It's also an uncounterable build. There is literally no way to counter undodgeable, unblockable 30k ticks of damage that come from stealth. You're dead in an instant
    .

    That's how I feel about gank builds, too, sometimes

    The thing is, when there are other gank builds that pop up that are this powerful, they get nerfed fairly quickly. This should be one of those instances. Although it's extremely niche, it kinda breaks farming IC bosses at the moment.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    haelgaan wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Is it a confirmed bug or are people just now upset about it because of the prevalance of HA builds?

    not a bug, just like any other bow gank, HA gank, bombing, burst dps etc. folks are just upset because of increased visibility of the HA builds

    That is exactly what I was thinking

    That's not true at all, it is a bug that Tri Focus bypasses Battle Spirit.

    It's also an uncounterable build. There is literally no way to counter undodgeable, unblockable 30k ticks of damage that come from stealth. You're dead in an instant
    .

    That's how I feel about gank builds, too, sometimes

    The thing is, when there are other gank builds that pop up that are this powerful, they get nerfed fairly quickly. This should be one of those instances. Although it's extremely niche, it kinda breaks farming IC bosses at the moment.

    Well, it hasn't been that long since this was a thing in PVP. Maybe they're planning to mess with it when they release all the necrom stuff.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    simple solution is to get rid of empower with battle spirit active. there's no reason it should exist in pvp zones.
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I reported this exploit month ago, developpers did not want Heavy attack with empower buff hitting players. That's why they add "against monster" in description. They just did saw this side effect. It's bad they didn't fix this yet
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cast_El wrote: »
    I reported this exploit month ago, developpers did not want Heavy attack with empower buff hitting players. That's why they add "against monster" in description. They just did saw this side effect. It's bad they didn't fix this yet

    They also just made that same change to Storm Master on PTS.
  • Trejgon
    Trejgon
    ✭✭✭
    Empower is definitelly not supposed to affect damage against players. This should include splash from tri-focus.
    I could totally see the coding of both being done in sloppy way causing this sort of unintended interaction.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Trejgon wrote: »
    Empower is definitelly not supposed to affect damage against players. This should include splash from tri-focus.
    I could totally see the coding of both being done in sloppy way causing this sort of unintended interaction.

    I’m not sure I’d say it’s sloppy coding. When Empower and Trifocus were originally coded, this was not an issue, since Empower was much lower in magnitude. Empower and Trifocus are even now individually working exactly as intended. The problem is that their interaction after the Empower changes produces unintended results. This sounds like an oversight where they did not think through and take care to fully mitigate the consequences of the changes to Empower. That’s primarily a design issue, not an error in coding.
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    @KiltMaster

    Yeah man, there is totally nothing broken here at all and this is just an intended mechanic that people are mad about because of their bias against heavy attack builds.

    You should definitely be able to hit players for 50k DPS by heavy attacking NPCs near them.

    https://youtu.be/I6CrV6umo_8

    No. As I said the devs added "against monster" that's means they didn't want empower working against players.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, React was being sarcastic towards me. They're on your side here, @Cast_El
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Yeah, React was being sarcastic towards me. They're on your side here, @Cast_El

    You are right, i guess I ma just tired of this.
    I did died by Tri focus 44k today in IC, while I was melee fighting a boss.
    I can assure you I tracked the player down and killed him/her every time I saw him/her after. I hope he/she won't use this "exploit" again.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    lmfao hey it's pvp do what you do I guess
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cast_El wrote: »
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    Yeah, React was being sarcastic towards me. They're on your side here, @Cast_El

    You are right, i guess I ma just tired of this.
    I did died by Tri focus 44k today in IC, while I was melee fighting a boss.
    I can assure you I tracked the player down and killed him/her every time I saw him/her after. I hope he/she won't use this "exploit" again.

    They probably will, until it's fixed. Because it's easy and effective.
  • Ren_TheRedFox
    Ren_TheRedFox
    ✭✭✭
    @KiltMaster it's not the same as a gankblade build .... gank blades build up their pen fair and square while tri-focus ignores your resistances ... basically even a tank with 5k damage output could kill you with a heavy attack lightning staff empower tri-focus combo .... doesn't seem to be right right??
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ren_TheRedFox We're not going to agree on this so IDK why I'm still responding, but I do think it's similar. You can talk about 'it's not fair' and 'it's not skilled' all you want but at the end of the day it has the same effect.

    I get not even a second to react to someone ganking me and I'm dead. Other people have experienced not having a second to react to someone tossing a heavy at an NPC and they're dead.

    Different build, same effect.

    And also, like I said, they're nerfing PB for this exact same reason y'all are complaining about for HA so I imagine they will nerf this soon as well. It is what it is.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They definitely should fix this interaction.

    They're nerfing PB for "not being intelligent enough to counterplay" and nuking players as a result and this interaction is pretty much the same. Using mobs in open world to nuke another player and the mobs also have no concept of counterplay.

    1490ebe261c04b9b6af3f13f3b2a2255.png

    They need to fix this empower trifocus workaround cause it's clearly the same type of interaction they don't want plaguebreak to be doing and players are nuking players with this similar interaction.
    Solo PvP'er, GM of Holy Grail Seekers. PS4 NA player
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

    After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

    Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • BetweenMidgets
    BetweenMidgets
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm with Kiltmaster. The same skill is required for a heavy attack build as a bomber or ganker. 100%
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm with Kiltmaster. The same skill is required for a heavy attack build as a bomber or ganker. 100%

    I didn't say anything about skill :P I said the effect is the same
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
Sign In or Register to comment.