The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How much crit resist?

Jammy420
Jammy420
✭✭✭✭✭
So I am currently optimising my build for cp pvp, but I am wondering, how much crit resist is enoug nowadays?`Where are the diminishing return thresholds?

I tried asking in guild and zone chat and was completely ignored several times, so thought I would ask here.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably hard to answer over chats like zone chat because it depends a lot on, what PvP zone you're playing, what type of build you're running, how you intend to PvP, sets used, etc and would probably spam the zone chat a lot.

zone as in BGs, cyro, IC, duels, CP/no-CP, etc
    build in regards to tank or dps
    playstyle in regards to solo, small scale, group, zerg
    sets, are you running rallying cry as solo/small scale or group has healer with transmutation

Most tend to build for around 2k crit resist (6 impen + reinforced chest) unless they run rallying cry, in which case they let RC buff their crit resist for them and trait for divines/well fitted/sturdy. If you want to go really tanky then finding room in your slotted CP for the crit resist CP is a good option too for getting over 3k crit resist.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    Probably hard to answer over chats like zone chat because it depends a lot on, what PvP zone you're playing, what type of build you're running, how you intend to PvP, sets used, etc and would probably spam the zone chat a lot.

sets, are you running rallying cry as solo/small scale or group has healer with transmutation

Most tend to build for around 2k crit resist (6 impen + reinforced chest) unless they run rallying cry, in which case they let RC buff their crit resist for them and trait for divines/well fitted/sturdy. If you want to go really tanky then finding room in your slotted CP for the crit resist CP is a good option too for getting over 3k crit resist.

Is 3k crit resist good? I remember a while back that the diminshing returns were pretty bad over a point, but its been a while since i optimised a character.
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »

the diminshing returns.

Where did you find this words ? There is no any diminishing returns in this game, only caps
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AndreNoir wrote: »

the diminshing returns.

Where did you find this words ? There is no any diminishing returns in this game, only caps

There are still diminishing returns in this game. We have soft caps, not hard caps, which means after a point you get a negligible amount of returns from using too much crit resist, too much crit, etc.

Man, people are really not into helping each other on this forum.
  • AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    AndreNoir wrote: »

the diminshing returns.

There are still diminishing returns in this game. We have soft caps, not hard caps, which means after a point you get a negligible amount of returns from using too much crit resist, too much crit, etc.

Man, people are really not into helping each other on this forum.

Ingame descriptions on stats is pretty clear that there is a 50% cap reduction from armor and 125% total bonus for crit damage and if someone invest 66 points into crit resist then it will be +1% of crit resist no matter how much points were there before. So show me where is yours diminishing returns
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only limit or "diminishing return" would be practical effectiveness rather than technical in nature. Meaning if most people you face are only getting 50% and you get over 50% crit resist, then you have some wasted stats and straight resists would be better. Over simplifying here as there are base values, and I'm not sure how crit resist is applied, if it's a percentage of the percentage or the value; and then crit chance also can be factored in but then you are working with unknown variables. You could make an assumption based on the average, but then there are things like cloak that cannot be accounted for.

This is to say; I don't think there is a straight answer. Someone who wants to match it out and knows the calculation could probably build a curve based on variables but I'm not that into it
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are a lot of sources of crit damage today, and many of them are very popular

-Half the player base is cats, prove me wrong
    -Race against time
    -medium armor
    -Frost staff minor brittle
    -3 classes have crit damage passives and 2 of those are in meta right now

Pick only 2 from that list and, that build will have 170% total crit damage. Axes and the shadow aren't listed since those are crit damage options that cost raw damage and are thus less commonly encountered.

Against the average player, you will benefit from up to 170% crit resist. And you will benefit regardless of crit chance, since it only takes 1 big crit when you think you're health is in the safe zone to lose your grip on a fight.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends on what you're trying to do.

As a Stam Sorc I run full Divines because I don't get hit much. Dodge Roll, Ball Lightning, Hardened Ward are enough to keep me alive. If I die then I've made a mistake (tired/lazy, 1vXing when shouldn't, etc) and will die regardless. If I could swap out the base 1320 crit resist for more damage, I'd do that.

Other classes with less mobility probably want 2k+ crit resist.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on April 25, 2023 9:40PM
    PC NA
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally go with a little less than 2k on all my toons, some do wear Rallying Cry though...

most important for defense is blocking, roll-dodging, line of sight, and character positioning...

if possible try to focus on those aspects of defense...

your gear and skills are secondary...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Depends on what you're trying to do.

As a Stam Sorc I run full Divines because I don't get hit much. Dodge Roll, Ball Lightning, Hardened Ward are enough to keep me alive. If I die then I've made a mistake (tired/lazy, 1vXing when shouldn't, etc) and will die regardless. If I could swap out the base 1320 crit resist for more damage, I'd do that.

Other classes with less mobility probably want 2k+ crit resist.

Thank you! I was fishing for a number ^^, im at 2200 atm, so I think I am ok.

<3
  • buzzclops
    buzzclops
    ✭✭✭
    I have builds with the baseline 1300 and some around 2.5k+ impen. And honestly they both sometimes get hit by 14k+ spectral bows. I started going with more well fitted paired with heavy reinforced pieces and it felt like my defense was a lot better overall. I feel like you kinda have to go all the way impen with rallying to reach an investment of stats where impen matters. Otherwise i get more value out of other traits.
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said how much crit resist you need really depends on the playstyle of the character in question. For example my NB ganker in 6 med 1 light has such low regular resistance that it wouldn't really make him any more survivable if I upped his crit resist. But my DK is more of a brawler with decent reg resist plus good healing and having high crit resist (3.2) allows the combo of mitgation and healing to outpace damage even against builds with high crit damage modifiers.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on May 2, 2023 7:45PM