Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's the big deal with teabagging? Like it, hate it, don't care?

Veinblood1965
Veinblood1965
✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious. I've had a few people do it to me and while it does add insult to simulated injury it just feels like a final blow after a good battle.

Do you like it? Hate it? Don't care?

I personally don't do it but what does everyone think? I was thinking last night it would be cool if there was a fart emote with green gas effects specifically made for such a thing lol, hence the post.

• Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it. I don’t mind dying, it happens, but teabagging is disrespectful when it’s from a stranger. I may or may not have become a traitor to my own alliance to help someone get back at a person who teabagged them.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • INM
    INM
    ✭✭✭✭
    I take it as a challenge.
    Edited by INM on April 19, 2023 1:03PM
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's just not creative. Do an emote like /sweep or /trebuchet and I'll get a chuckle out of it lol

teabag your friends, but pour one out for your enemies

Regardless, if it happens to me, I don't feel strongly one way or the other
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Petty. That's all. It just shows that some people can't just have their cake, got to sprinkle a dump on top before they can enjoy the W.

I feel kind of bad for them. Can't imagine they spend any time taking it easy, you know?
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hate it.
    just move on when you've defeated me.
    it's so gross
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two types of teabagging
    1. Friends messing with you (lighthearted fun)
    2. Enemy players taunting
    The second one is the problem. ESO PvP is competitive and taunting is bad sportsmanship. Wanna know why taunting isn't allowed in competitive sports? Go watch the Ron Artest NBA fight from 2004. (Malice at the Palace)

Also, if you didn't grow up in the 2000's Xbox era of sexually assaulting the enemy, then teabagging is just weird.
    PC NA
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Two types of teabagging
    The second one is the problem. ESO PvP is competitive and taunting is bad sportsmanship. Wanna know why taunting isn't allowed in competitive sports? Go watch the Ron Artest NBA fight from 2004. (Malice at the Palace)

Also, if you didn't grow up in the 2000's Xbox era of sexually assaulting the enemy, then teabagging is just weird.

I wholly disagree.

It's either okay or it isn't. If you allow your friends to do it and consider it good-natured and fun then you really have no reason to assume anything different when a stranger does it. Is the act actually any different? Or is the way you're taking it just different? Unless the strange bagger happens to message you as well (which is personally where I start drawing the line,) then you're really only assuming it wasn't light-hearted.

But more importantly if some people are allowed certain behaviors then it's the definition of hypocritical to disallow others.

I'd like to draw a parallel between this and the N word, if I may, without unduly offending anybody. Arguably the worst word there is. Racist and hateful. The verbal equivalent of an online t-bagging. And yet in today's culture friends use it for eachother, black people use it for eachother, the word runs rampant through our music and is even considered "cool." Should it be? Well... I would say no personally... I don't like the word at all. But we're never going to abolish it while simultaneously proliferating at. And if you're someone that uses it indiscriminately and all the time then you don't have a great foundation for not wanting to be called it.

Similarly... T-bagging. Some people liken it to bullying and sexual harassment. But it's no more sexual harassment than using the N word is racist. It's just a disgusting part of our society that we have all collectively desensitized by allowing our friends to do it. Too late to complain now.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »

SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Two types of teabagging

I wholly disagree.

It's either okay or it isn't. If you allow your friends to do it and consider it good-natured and fun then you really have no reason to assume anything different when a stranger does it. Is the act actually any different? Or is the way you're taking it just different? Unless the strange bagger happens to message you as well (which is personally where I start drawing the line,) then you're really only assuming it wasn't light-hearted.

But more importantly if some people are allowed certain behaviors then it's the definition of hypocritical to disallow others.

I'd like to draw a parallel between this and the N word, if I may, without unduly offending anybody. Arguably the worst word there is. Racist and hateful. The verbal equivalent of an online t-bagging. And yet in today's culture friends use it for eachother, black people use it for eachother, the word runs rampant through our music and is even considered "cool." Should it be? Well... I would say no personally... I don't like the word at all. But we're never going to abolish it while simultaneously proliferating at. And if you're someone that uses it indiscriminately and all the time then you don't have a great foundation for not wanting to be called it.

Similarly... T-bagging. Some people liken it to bullying and sexual harassment. But it's no more sexual harassment than using the N word is racist. It's just a disgusting part of our society that we have all collectively desensitized by allowing our friends to do it. Too late to complain now.

Way off the mark. By your standards we accept hugs and kisses from people close to us so we should also accept it from strangers or else we're hypocrites? Ridiculous.
  • pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    I do it to to everyone if I won 1vX.
    Have no respect for people who try Xv1 you and then cry that they are tbagged.
    Also do it to get hate whispers.
    It’s a sense of this game for me. I won if my opponent start to rage, that’s a good feel.
    And it’s only reason I play eso tbh.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was making a parallel between two things that have some things in common-- not trying to say they are EXACTLY the same.

I mean I could say that your parallel is way off the mark because I was talking about bad things and you're talking about good things. But I won't do that-- because I know what you meant-- and I understand you're only using an example not trying to create a rule.

I was just using an example. Not trying to create a rule.

• Roylund
    Roylund
    ✭✭
    It's obviously annoying when it happens to you but not nearly enough to warrant a ban/warning over it. I don't think it's been that big of a deal in most games I've played. People taunt, so what, just respawn and move on. The community reaction to teabagging in this game reminds me of people that type up essays in response to being flamed in MOBAs rather than just muting and moving on.

If it's a recurring thing or targeted (e.g. someone is killing you over and over in a BG and constantly teabagging) then I think that the infraction should be targeted harassment rather than a ban for teabagging. I never teabag in game but I still think it's silly to ban such an action. Might as well put a 5s cd on crouch in pvp at that point.

TL;DR:
    don't care
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious. I've had a few people do it to me and while it does add insult to simulated injury it just feels like a final blow after a good battle.

Do you like it? Hate it? Don't care?

I personally don't do it but what does everyone think? I was thinking last night it would be cool if there was a fart emote with green gas effects specifically made for such a thing lol, hence the post.

I have never done it myself, but I have never complained about it either (although I find it very rude). But after some time, hardly anyone does it to me. Either people lose the interest if there is no reaction, but I do not do it myself, or I hope that it was recognized that it is not bad to behave decently in pvp.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't really care too much about it myself, I won't go out of my way to do it to others, but if I kill someone whos bagged me in the past, they best bet they be getting the return bags.

My main gripe with some who do it is that they zerg you down (or let their friends/zerg do all the work to kill you) and then they come in and bag you after the battle is over and then they leave pvp zones immediately afterwards.

Like come on, if you're gonna dish it out, at least have the courtesy to allow the chance for those revenge bags.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it! It's such an obvious "red flag" and makes it much easier to identify people I'd prefer to ignore.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    I should probably qualify this because I'm not into PvP, so my answer is based on the handful of times someone has teabagged me as I lay dead somewhere. Because I died, I guess? I don't know, but there was definitely no competition or any interaction at all involved. I assumed it was supposed to be funny.

It's weird and I feel pretty much the same about it as the few times I've had someone use emotes to try to simulate various sexual positions, in other MMOs. I recognize that it's not intended seriously and can't be equated with real life, but whatever the intention, the action itself carries some of the same uncomfortable ickiness.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do it. I also don't care when its done to me.

Though the best interactions I've had in Imperial City are whispering the people who kill me compliments about their names. Met a fellow Dune fan that way. There's a lot of people with funny puns too.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's immature and right up there with "your mom" jokes.
    PCNA
  • pedrogonzalez
    pedrogonzalez
    ✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    Don't really care too much about it myself, I won't go out of my way to do it to others, but if I kill someone whos bagged me in the past, they best bet they be getting the return bags.

I mean mate, there exists some teabag codex.
    [snip]
    [edited for minor baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 22, 2023 10:11AM
  • xylena_lazarow
    xylena_lazarow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The big deal I see is the arbitrary enforcement. Either bagging is allowed or it isn't. Their supposed system of maybe disciplining someone if they got reported after being asked to stop... that's not how rules work.
    PC/NA || CP/Cyro || RIP soft caps
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The big deal I see is the arbitrary enforcement. Either bagging is allowed or it isn't. Their supposed system of maybe disciplining someone if they got reported after being asked to stop... that's not how rules work.

This is the best way to handle this. It's not the teabagging itself that may result in disciplinary action. It's continuing the activity after being asked to stop. That is where it becomes harassment.

So those who see this as part of PvP may continue to do so as long as they stop if asked.
    PCNA
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the best way to handle this. It's not the teabagging itself that may result in disciplinary action. It's continuing the activity after being asked to stop. That is where it becomes harassment.

So those who see this as part of PvP may continue to do so as long as they stop if asked.

I guarantee that players that like to teabag are in offline mode so you can't ask them to stop, as others have pointed out, so this policy is worthless as it stands right now. If they aren't in offline mode now they definitely will be if ZOS actually says they'll enforce this policy.

I don't see any really effective solution ot this issue, and the fact that it keeps coming up year after year leads me to believe that there isn't one. If ZOS tries to enforce a zero-tolerance policy then offenders will claim that "I just happened to coincidentally go into stealth on their corpse" or something similar. The existing policy is unworkable due to the reason I stated above. The only thing that would probably completely prevent teabagging is to change the animation for crouching, but then the griefers would just find some other ways to antagonize other players and we'd be back to square one.

I had to condition myself to accept that some people are just going to be childish and not let them get a rise out of me, which is easier said than done sometimes. If someone just can't do this, then they'll have to decide for themselves how to avoid the aggravation.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are teabagging while in offline mode knowing that this is a controversial action and will prevent them from being asked to stop, I'd consider that exploiting. There should be some action taken for that, a warning at least.
    PCNA
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's unsportsmanlike and immature.
    I much prefer /flute or /sweep or /bow.
    I was running from a 7 man group in no cp ic 2 days ago. My friend was on his way. They kept chasing and once my friend arrived, I turned and attacked. They fought well but we wiped them and got almost 6k stones each.
    They all lay there on the ground dead. Many would t-bag in that situation but I just /bow and laughed and moved on.
    I've had people t-bag me when they outnumber me, and then send hate whispers on top of it. Seems really unnecessary.
    Don't let it get to you and just laugh it off. If it really bothers you, try the appropriate channels.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's unsportsmanlike and immature.
    I much prefer /flute or /sweep or /bow.

Don't let it get to you and just laugh it off. If it really bothers you, try the appropriate channels.

this 100% - love a good /trebuchet or now /aerialescapades

even a good /eggscramble

at least be creative with it haha
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    threads like this, make me feel old...

I created a thread about bagging back in like 2017 I think...

had no clue what they were doing...found out after a while...

I don't remember seeing it before in call of duty...

I love interacting with fallen foes - it's just a lot more fun to run through a sequence of like a hundred different emotes available...
    Edited by geonsocal on April 21, 2023 7:53PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do this with my friends who also do because it's funny. Fandoms might take it the wrong way so I don't. If someone does it to me I take it as I was hard to kill.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think an aspect of this that is often overlooked is the situation that it occurs in.

The time that I was t-bagged that I thought most hilarious is when my guild group had made a ninja grab of a scroll and we were being chased by a much larger group of players trying to get their scroll back. I decided to slow down the pursuit by turning around and engaging them. After rolling and dodging for quite a few seconds I was finally zerged down, and around 10 of them decided it was more important to spend the next 5 minutes bobbing up and down on my corpse than to get the scroll back. I could barely contain my laughter at the ridiculousness of the scene long enough to relay it to my teammates as they easily outpaced the rest of the enemy and got away.

On the other hand, the t-bagging that annoyed me the most was very early on in my pvp career, when a player that was well-known to be using an exploit decided they deserved to celebrate their win over my noobness by t-bagging me after 1-shotting me on my horse.

Context absolutely matters here. Getting bagged by a buddy because you rode off a cliff and died might be funny to you and totally acceptable, while getting bagged by an anonymous enemy player that has just humiliated you in battle just to rub salt in your ego may not be. The latter probably fits the definition of griefing, which is against the TOS and could get you an unwanted vacation from the game.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »

I mean mate, there exists some teabag codex.
    [snip]

Don't know where I mentioned that I was outnumbering anyone, in fact, if you bothered to read my entire post [snip], I mentioned the exact opposite (that I am heavily outnumbered).

[edited for baiting & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 22, 2023 10:12AM
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly don’t care. I have a thicker skin than that bothering me. But I commonly dominate my BGs or at least do well.

Had someone tbag me when I died 1. (Me) v 4 and one of them Soul Assault while I was ccd. I just rolled my eyes. Maybe they were just glad I was off their flag lol.
  • xMauiWaui
    xMauiWaui
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont really like it. People do it to make a player salty.

I play Game for fun and il never gonna try to kill a fun from a other player.

For me its Charakter. And i know how the charakter from the most human is. So anway will never change^^