Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[REQUEST] Concede upon agreement

AnduinTryggva
AnduinTryggva
✭✭✭✭✭
I encounter many times following situation:

One player has a lead in power and such a good hand that the other player cannot win or that one player is about to reach the winning threshold of 40 or 80 points but takes a long time for his turn while the other losing player already knows that he/she won't be able to catch up.

Sometimes the losing player asks the winning player to finish (by turning Crow or to stop pulling/playing cards as the winning one has already crossed the threshold) in chat but the winning player does not see it.

So I suggest following:

Implement a function that each player can activate when it is the other one's turn. This function is "asking for an agreed concede" and the asked player can either accept or reject the proposed concede of the asking player. If concede offer is accepted the asked player will get a win with all rewards. The asking player will not get a time penalty irrespective of when the offer was dropped and I suggest to give no rewards if the match was conceded too early like now and only a white reward after some time just like now.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately this can be exploited, so its not really a feature thats conductive towards competitive mode. Its also the other players right to finish off their turn even if the game is pretty much won. Its still part of the game to enjoy that last victory.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lately I've been playing more casual matches and I noticed that most players opt to quit right in the middle of our turn. I'm more used to ranked, where it's rare for a player to give up, but in casual seems like the vast majority gives up very easily. Which is ok, I have no problem with players giving up, on the contrary it saves time. But I think it's kind of rude to concede in the middle of another player's turn. Why is it even allowed? What's the point? Shouldn't players be allowed to concede only on their own time? Or at least it should be mutually accepted if requested on the opponent's turn (like suggested). What do you think?

Basically, I think players should be able to freely concede on their turn, without penalty or, upon request, by mutual agreement on their opponent's turn. As it stands now, feels like many players are trolling opponents by conceding in the middle of their turns and then Zos trolls all quitters equally with a time penalty. :smiley:
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have occasionally quit in the middle of another player's turn if their hand is taking 84 years to play out because of a quadrillion Crow or Druid cards. Kinda pointless to sit through that misery, especially in a "casual" game.

But that was also back when I actually still played real people. I don't anymore, and honestly find myself rarely even playing the NPCs anymore.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have occasionally quit in the middle of another player's turn if their hand is taking 84 years to play out because of a quadrillion Crow or Druid cards. Kinda pointless to sit through that misery, especially in a "casual" game.

But that was also back when I actually still played real people. I don't anymore, and honestly find myself rarely even playing the NPCs anymore.

I do this too occasionally. Mostly because I finish my turn then realize the opponent has gathered so much advantage that I quit to save time. It's not about annoying the other one. Just avoiding sitting through something where there is nothing to win.

I mean in a physical world card match it would be absolutely ok to concede during the turn of the other player. So it should be ok in the virtual world as well.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about those cases. In cases like you are mentioning, when a player is intentionally stalling, I perfectly understand. But what I've seen in casual is way different than that. Sometimes I just pick a couple of cards and the opponent quits. :smiley: It's nice, ok, it's some fast and easy wins. But it's still kind of lame. :smile:
  • gmap516
    gmap516
    ✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »
    Unfortunately this can be exploited, so its not really a feature thats conductive towards competitive mode. Its also the other players right to finish off their turn even if the game is pretty much won. Its still part of the game to enjoy that last victory.

Exploited how?

No, it's not their right to finish off their turn. In both Hearthstone and ESL (RIP) you could concede whenever you want. It's called loss efficiency. It's a concept in most other card games that if the match is entirely or almost entirely decided, conceding earlier means you move onto another match you have a chance at winning sooner.

This penalty for conceding is actually kinda infuriating tbh lol
  • RCubed1967
    RCubed1967
    ✭✭
    I think many of the occurrences would be eliminated simply by removing the deserter penalty. Some people just act salty but don't want to quit because of the detrimental deserter effects.

For the remaining estimated 20%, I suggest two options.

First option: report them for exploiting the game timer in manner which is toxic and a cheat (wasting my time and trying to force me to quit out of frustration. I had one game that lasted over 30 minutes because of timer exploitation!

Second option: a reduction in time allotted for a person's next turn could be implemented should they exceed a certain threshold. A timer reduction trigger could be set when the person is within 0:30 of their allotted time. E.g., A Player takes 1:48 to take their turn. Since this exceeds 1:30 (30 seconds before the 2 minute allocation), their next turn has to be complete within 1:30. Should they end their turn in 1:05, they take another reduction in timers. The allocation could degrade to a minimum 0:30 seconds per turn. In the case of a person pondering the decision, the allocation timer can be refilled by 10 seconds every time they finish more than seconds before the turn ends.

I prefer option 1. Let ZOS deal with them.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    NeKryXe wrote: »
    Lately I've been playing more casual matches and I noticed that most players opt to quit right in the middle of our turn. I'm more used to ranked, where it's rare for a player to give up, but in casual seems like the vast majority gives up very easily. Which is ok, I have no problem with players giving up, on the contrary it saves time. But I think it's kind of rude to concede in the middle of another player's turn. Why is it even allowed? What's the point? Shouldn't players be allowed to concede only on their own time? Or at least it should be mutually accepted if requested on the opponent's turn (like suggested). What do you think?

Basically, I think players should be able to freely concede on their turn, without penalty or, upon request, by mutual agreement on their opponent's turn. As it stands now, feels like many players are trolling opponents by conceding in the middle of their turns and then Zos trolls all quitters equally with a time penalty. :smiley:

Real life and all that.