Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Please be careful on lore for animals

FeedbackOnly
FeedbackOnly
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I enjoy lore on crown items. It's upsetting some things don't make sense in how an animal would behave.

My complaint is on duskember fox.

I personally buy items for their story first. I imagine how I meet the animal.

My complaint on the fox is why would an animal who like to hide in shadow now want show off it's bright coat.

For an animal that likes shadow why ove snowberries? It has a bright coat so would stand out while eating it.

Why is a bright fox called dusk

Overall the story doesn't flow. Why talk about it hiding it shadows then suddenly showing off it's bright coat and loving getting treats. The first line indicates it's shy.

This is just my opinion but the lore could of been better.
Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 15, 2023 1:47AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might seem odd but it fits the real life behaviour of red foxes. They have bright red coats (pretty much the same as the mount) and in the wild they're typically crepuscular; only active around dawn and dusk and sleeping or staying near their den late at night and through the day. They hunt by stealth (including relying on shadow), both to creep up on their prey and to hide from predators. But in urban areas where they have fewer or no predators or in captivity they become a lot more confident, showing little/no fear of humans and will be more active during the day.

They're also omnivores who will often mainly eat meat but will eat fruit when they can get it, in the autumn they've been known to only eat fruit, suggesting that it's actually their prefered food and they eat other stuff when they can't get enough fruit to live on.

As for the name it's a duskember fox - dusk ember - as in a red 'spark' seen at dusk.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    It might seem odd but it fits the real life behaviour of red foxes. They have bright red coats (pretty much the same as the mount) and in the wild they're typically crepuscular; only active around dawn and dusk and sleeping or staying near their den late at night and through the day. They hunt by stealth (including relying on shadow), both to creep up on their prey and to hide from predators. But in urban areas where they have fewer or no predators or in captivity they become a lot more confident, showing little/no fear of humans and will be more active during the day.

They're also omnivores who will often mainly eat meat but will eat fruit when they can get it, in the autumn they've been known to only eat fruit, suggesting that it's actually their prefered food and they eat other stuff when they can't get enough fruit to live on.

As for the name it's a duskember fox - dusk ember - as in a red 'spark' seen at dusk.

I still don't see why it would be "snow berries "over something it can blend in better with

Thanks for explaining rest though. I will be purchasing mount. This means a lot to me as there aren't many fox options.
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 15, 2023 11:58PM
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    Standing out while eating isn’t really an issue for predators, they have their bounty. It’s when they are hunting that they want to be stealthy. I don’t get the question really or why this seems strange, in the wild if you see food and are hungry you eat, regardless of if you blend in or not. This is hardly the only example either, wolves also eat berries out in the open where they can find them.
    Tes fans hate Ulfric Stormcloak for imagined bigotry but love Dagoth Ur, the Empire, and the Telvanni unironically.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Standing out while eating isn’t really an issue for predators, they have their bounty. It’s when they are hunting that they want to be stealthy. I don’t get the question really or why this seems strange, in the wild if you see food and are hungry you eat, regardless of if you blend in or not. This is hardly the only example either, wolves also eat berries out in the open where they can find them.

I agree but snow berries seems odd choice. Remember in game it says favorite food. This means it would purposely seek out a food that could get it killed.

Red on white is easy to see. So they would be vulnerable.

Overall the story that is in game is disjointed. It jumped 3 times that's what lead to confusion. The writer needs to transition it better. .

Some of us buy items because of the story they add to our characters
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 18, 2023 9:50PM
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭

I agree but snow berries seems odd choice. Remember in game it says favorite food. This means it would purposely seek out a food that could get it killed.

Overall the story that is in game is disjointed. It jumped 3 times that's what lead to confusion. The writer needs to transition it better. .

Couple of things.

First, I don't believe that it considering snowberries a favorite treat would cause it to go out of its way and die to eat the food. Foxes are clever creatures and there's many examples of animals outwitting predators or rivals for food, often risking themselves and their health. Lions for instance attack all sorts of animals, even ones that can fight back like buffalo and hippos. Typically they stick to what is easiest for them however.

They likely stated this also so you in your rp know what to feed them. In skyrim snowberries are all over the place as well, I don't think it'd be difficult for foxes to acquire them of any sort, certainly not ones big enough to ride on. Besides, what in the world is out hunting foxes that big anyway lol certainly not a great number of things would be natural predators to them. Trolls, wolves, sabrecats and bears maybe, if they can catch them. Thats about it.

The other thing, while I would appreciate if Zos made a bigger effort to make these items lore friendly as stuff like the storm atronach camel and so on is a meme lol, and they've gotten better at this imo and I enjoy reading the mount and item descriptions... generally speaking, the crown store isnt the best place to look for lore sanctity. Its not a rebuttal really, more just advice, I personally wouldn't look too closely at crown store item stuff since the nature of the crown store is to keep making money off of the mmo. So for the most part its minimum effort stuff likely and I doubt that will change.

Honestly the Fox descriptions some of their better ones and I don't think they did a poor job with it at all but opinions opinions.
    Tes fans hate Ulfric Stormcloak for imagined bigotry but love Dagoth Ur, the Empire, and the Telvanni unironically.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Couple of things.

First, I don't believe that it considering snowberries a favorite treat would cause it to go out of its way and die to eat the food. Foxes are clever creatures and there's many examples of animals outwitting predators or rivals for food, often risking themselves and their health. Lions for instance attack all sorts of animals, even ones that can fight back like buffalo and hippos. Typically they stick to what is easiest for them however.

They likely stated this also so you in your rp know what to feed them. In skyrim snowberries are all over the place as well, I don't think it'd be difficult for foxes to acquire them of any sort, certainly not ones big enough to ride on. Besides, what in the world is out hunting foxes that big anyway lol certainly not a great number of things would be natural predators to them. Trolls, wolves, sabrecats and bears maybe, if they can catch them. Thats about it.

The other thing, while I would appreciate if Zos made a bigger effort to make these items lore friendly as stuff like the storm atronach camel and so on is a meme lol, and they've gotten better at this imo and I enjoy reading the mount and item descriptions... generally speaking, the crown store isnt the best place to look for lore sanctity. Its not a rebuttal really, more just advice, I personally wouldn't look too closely at crown store item stuff since the nature of the crown store is to keep making money off of the mmo. So for the most part its minimum effort stuff likely and I doubt that will change.

Honestly the Fox descriptions some of their better ones and I don't think they did a poor job with it at all but opinions opinions.

It was just a request to be careful. No harm in it. Some people do buy for that description
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The fox loves the snowberries because they are risky and forbidden!
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we're long past ZOS being careful with the lore for animals in Crown Crates. At this point I don't even consider any of those mounts/pets canon for the sake of my own sanity.
  • noblecron
    noblecron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also to be fair, most of a fox's prey are color blind and can't see the color red at all.