The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Game drops to desktop about 25% of the time when trying to logout to character select

deyjasagus
deyjasagus
✭✭✭
Does anyone else experience an issue where the game completely closes and puts you at the desktop when you are trying to log out from an active character to the character select screen? I'm finding I have this occurring approximately 25% of the time. It's not a specific character this happens on and there is no common factor, well other than most of them are in Vivec City to do the crafting dailies.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 9, 2023 5:38PM
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened to me twice, I thought maybe I just accidentally hit quit rather than log out but it did seem weird.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if a memory leak is happening.

Does it crash to the desktop if you have just started the game and tried logging out of a character immediately or only after you have been playing for a while and logged out of a character?
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Wonder if a memory leak is happening.

Does it crash to the desktop if you have just started the game and tried logging out of a character immediately or only after you have been playing for a while and logged out of a character?

It starts after the first or second logout to character select and time playing doesn't appear to be a factor. If I login a character, do the crafting dailies and then logout, that first character may crash and it will definitely happen within 1-2 characters after that.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @deyjasagus

What version of Windows are you currently running at?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 10 Pro
    22H2
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @deyjasagus

What version of Windows are you currently running at?

Windows 10 Pro
    22H2
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @deyjasagus

Thanks for providing your OS details.

Have you tried going through the crash troubleshooting found here?
    Staff Post
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @deyjasagus

Thanks for providing your OS details.

Have you tried going through the crash troubleshooting found here?

@ZOS_Bill

I can honestly say I haven't but then again that's because it links to troubleshooting crashes on a Playstation, not in Windows 10. :smile:

I did however go through the troubleshooting process found at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28049/kw/what should I do if the elder srolls online is crashing without it making a difference.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Here is the correct link for crash troubleshooting on PC.

What do I do if ESO is crashing with the error "ESO has stopped working"?

Since those steps did not help, one more step you can try is rebooting the PC into a
    selective startup. This will disable third party software running on the PC. Test your setup under the selective startup and see if the issue persists.
    Staff Post
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the link I placed in my reply is the correct one given that the game drops to the desktop and no error message is provided.

Also your imbedded link for selective startup goes to the "What do I do if ESO is crashing with the error "ESO has stopped working"?" troubleshooting support page. The correct support article would be https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2324/kw/selective startup.

Aside from the Microsoft system processes the only ones I have active all the time are Razer's Chroma, Cortex and Synapse, the VKM Input Director, Intel's Energy Server Service and NVidia's Display. I'll disable the Razer Cortex and Input Director processes and after reset tomorrow I'll go through my normal routine of doing crafting dailies where I see the most frequent drops to desktop. After doing this I'll let you know if I'm still experiencing the issue.
    Edited by deyjasagus on April 18, 2023 6:43PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Here is the correct link for running a selective startup.

How do I put my computer in selective startup mode?

@deyjasagus - Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!
    Staff Post
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    I gave it two days of doing the crafting dailies over 18 characters and the issue still persists even after disabling Cortex and Input Director. The first day, 5 of the 18 characters dropped to the desktop while logging out to character selection and the second day it was 3.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @deyjasagus

At this point we recommend opening a ticket with customer support so they can look into this.
    Staff Post
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    I got sidetracked before I could submit a ticket, however Microsoft updated Windows 10 Pro 22H2 on the 25th of April with build 19045.2913. I updated my system on the evening of Wednesday, May 3rd and I so far I haven't experienced a single drop to the desktop when logging out to the character select screen.

My guess is that there was an issue that caused some Windows programs to close without warning that was corrected with this latest build. So for now I'm leaning towards the issue being resolved. I would however like you to leave the post open for another 72 hours and if I don't see any further crashes during this time I'll mark this as ready for closure.

Thank you again for the suggestions you made to try and help with this.
    Edited by deyjasagus on May 6, 2023 10:40AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thank you for the recent update!

Since the issue has been resolved with a Windows update, we will now close the thread going forward.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.