The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone still occasionally losing to the NPCs?

SeaGtGruff
SeaGtGruff
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Besides me?

I almost always win-- maybe 98% of the time-- although with the "smarter" (more aggressive) NPCs there are more matches where they get an early lead but then sort of slack off on gaining more ground and instead just start buying cards foolishly as if trying to give me a chance to catch up, such that I end up winning by a large margin or else by flipping all four patrons my way.

But every so often, both before and after the recent "smartification" of the NPCs, I run into a match where the NPC gets to go first, is able to buy a really strong card in their first move, then another in their second move, and from there on it just snowballs as they steamroll their way through the match and I never have a chance to catch up to them. Basically, it's like RNGesus strongly favors the NPC over me, but also the NPC doesn't slide into the "I'm going to go all complacent and relaxed now so the poor human can catch up to me" thing that most of them seem to do.

Last night I ran into the "Father Sithis" Argonian lady and she beat me twice in a row before I finally beat her. That was the first time on that server that I'd lost to an NPC after the recent tweaking. On the other server I lost one time a few nights ago, but easily won the second match. So it feels like I'm losing a little less often-- maybe an increase from winning 95% of the matches before, to winning 98% now, or something like that-- but there are still those matches where I just can't seem to get traction.

I've been thinking about keeping track of my matches by noting which four patrons were chosen and who got to go first, because it does seem like the times when I've lost tended to be when Pelin was involved and the NPC got to move first, but I'm not sure about that.

Anyone else? Is it just me, or do you occasionally lose as well?
I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭
    I lose every now and then when I'm not paying attention, or when sometimes I make unwise choices to give the NPC an advantage to try and make the game harder for myself.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »
    I lose every now and then when I'm not paying attention, or when sometimes I make unwise choices to give the NPC an advantage to try and make the game harder for myself.

I do feel as though some of my losses might have ended up as they did through mistakes on my part, such as assuming that I was going to win (in spite of the NPC's early lead) and failing to take steps to hedge my bets, such as beginning to flip the patrons in my favor in case I needed to resort to a patron win.

But whenever I do lose-- as infrequently as that is-- I've usually done my best to try to catch up with the NPC's early lead, but the luck of the draw just seems to be squarely in the NPC's favor all throughout the game.

As for not paying attention, sometimes I do make bonehead moves because I'm rushing and am feeling a bit complacent in the match. For instance, the other night I accidentally clicked on the 1-gold Hlaalu starter card when converting a card to a writ with the treasury, instead of clicking on the 1-gold treasury card next to it, which meant I was unable to combo (in later turns) with the Hlaalu card I'd just purchased from the tavern. And I often play cards in a less-than-ideal order because I'm not being attentive enough, and end up missing out on a bit of extra power, prestige, or gold because of that. Edit: But I usually still win the match despite making those kinds of mistakes.
    Edited by SeaGtGruff on April 7, 2023 11:58PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost never lose. Haven't since the patch. Last time I lost to the npc was somewhere after they nerfed Orgnum.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 9, 2023 2:33AM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yea i still lose occasionally
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    every once in awhile i lose, but thats been the case as soon as i started figuring out tribute a lot better, so i probably lost more in the first week or so i started playing, but since i would say its consistently 95%+ win rate
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After I got used to the NPCs' new logical (and illogical) decision-making processes, I was able to win 100% of the time again, primarily by using patron wins (since the NPCs seemed to have no concerns about preventing that) if it looked like the NPC was going to run all over me.

But then I started varying my choice of patrons, choosing Pelin and Crow instead of Hlaalu and Crow, which made it harder to get a patron win in some matches. And with the update to the NPCs' logic, I found myself losing a match on Monday. So now I'm back to Hlaalu instead of Pelin, at least until I get the NPCs' logic figured out again! :D
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NPCs have been Buffed in the last patch. Big time.

I started grinding out to Level 5 as I want to get the per. So i did dozens and dozens of NPC matches this past weekend going from L2 to L4.6. Won every one, and they were lopsided victories. NPCs never used Patrons, would always leave good cards in middle etc. Did not matter if they were Proficient or Expert.

Anyway, after the patch, OMG, even the Proficient NPCs are almost unbeatable. Experts, fuggedebouit. The NPCs needed a buff, but this is ridiculous.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far I've played 11 matches against Expert NPCs and lost 2 of them, which is about 18% of them. That's much more often than I used to lose, but that percentage will go up or down later today when I play on the PC NA server. If I win all 3 of those matches then the percentage will go down to about 14%; but if I lose 1 of them then it will go up to 20%. In the past, when I've lost a match, I've almost always won the next match; it's been extremely rare for me to lose 2 in a row. Of course, that could change with the improved NPCs.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I lose on occasion when I'm playing a new character and my wife pulls a train of enemies on top of me. Happened yesterday to my new Arcanist before I got the beam attack, so maybe the first 10 minutes of playing the class. But usually no, I don't have problems. Unless I don't slot a healing skill of some kind on occasion, but that depends on the class.
    Edited by merpins on June 6, 2023 7:21PM
  • meekmiko
    meekmiko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    NPCs have been Buffed in the last patch. Big time.

I started grinding out to Level 5 as I want to get the per. So i did dozens and dozens of NPC matches this past weekend going from L2 to L4.6. Won every one, and they were lopsided victories. NPCs never used Patrons, would always leave good cards in middle etc. Did not matter if they were Proficient or Expert.

Anyway, after the patch, OMG, even the Proficient NPCs are almost unbeatable. Experts, fuggedebouit. The NPCs needed a buff, but this is ridiculous.

I only started playing ToT last week and grinded to level 2 after a ton of matches and doing the dailies everyday, it is a SLOG to level, and now after the update the novices are now super annoying to play against.

It took me forever to actually understand HOW to play. I finally figured it out after so many matches, and now they're just steamrolling my butt over and over. Beginners are supposed to play against this??
    This needs to be toned back down a bit. :/
    🌟PC/NA CP2025+ [Been playing since 2016]
    vMA / vVH / vDSA / vBRP / vAA HM / vSO HM / vHRC HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS+1 & +1 / vCR+2 / vSS / vKA/ vRG
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer / Bosmer StamSorc (DPS) -Main DPS-
    • ☀️ 🛡️ EP - Mihi'Mai-Ra, Plague of Peryite / Khajiit StamPlar (Tank) -Main Tank-
    • ☀️ ✨ EP - Lady Lapa'au, The Magnanimous / Khajiit MagPlar (Healer) -Main Healer-
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Ra'venk, Style Master / Khajiit MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ EP - Bird gra-Shuzgub, Forge Breaker / Orc StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ✨ EP - Blades-at-the-Ready, Witch / Argonian MagBlade (Healer)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Lady Fortuna the Blessed, Grand Champion / Imperial StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🔥 🛡️ EP - Plays-in Volcanoes, Mystic / Argonian StamDK (Tank)
    • 💀 ☄️ EP - Ko'shamari the Doomweaver, Dovahkriid / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 🌱 ✨ EP - Sorvete, Countess / Khajiit StamDen (Healer)
    • 🔥 🏹 EP - Falora Veloth, The Merciless / Dunmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 🌩️ 🛡️ AD - Shimmers-with-Static, Spark of Vengeance / Argonian StamSorc (Tank)
    • ☀️ ⚔️ EP - Amarri-do the Magnificent, Clan Mother / Khajiit StamPlar (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Z'majii-dar the Quick, Battlegrounds Butcher / Khajiit StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ EP - Habasi the Glamorous, Seeker of Artifacts / Khajiit StamDK (DPS)
    • ❄️ 🛡️ EP - Elísabet Skull-Smasher, Thane of Falkreath / Nord StamDen (Tank)
    • 🗡️ 🛡️ EP - Yana-la the Iron Lotus, Silver Knight / Khajiit StamBlade (Tank)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Mog gra-Ushug the Scholar, Master Historian / Orc MagCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🔨 EP - Mamaea the Sledgehammer, Alpha Predator / Khajiit StamCanist (DPS)
    • 👁️ 🏹 AD - Elsyiir Lichenhollow, Lady / Bosmer StamCanist (DPS)
    • & I only dabble on the PC/EU server sometimes
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Jessamine Seed-Nightrun / Bosmer StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ⚔️ EP - Sings-a-Song-of-Storms / Argonian StamSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ☄️ DC - Helainie the Shadebringer / Breton MagBlade (DPS)
    • 🌩️ ☄️ EP - Steals-Many-Hearts / Argonian MagSorc (DPS)
    • 🗡️ ⚔️ AD - Pashet the Nimble / Khajiit StamBlade (DPS)
    • 🔥 🏹☄️ EP - Furoni the Ember / Dunmer HybridDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ EP - Am-Kesh / Argonian MagCanist (DPS)
    • 🔥 ⚔️ AD - Eldrinthr the Flame-Heart / Bosmer StamDK (DPS)
    • 👁️ ☄️ AD - Bajaa the Blackened Beast / Khajiit MagNecro (DPS)
    • 💀 ⚔️ AD - Vashpurri-do the Corrupt / Khajiit StamNecro (DPS)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    I lose on occasion when I'm playing a new character and my wife pulls a train of enemies on top of me. Happened yesterday to my new Arcanist before I got the beam attack, so maybe the first 10 minutes of playing the class. But usually no, I don't have problems. Unless I don't slot a healing skill of some kind on occasion, but that depends on the class.

you know this is a thread about playing the NPCs in tribute right? lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »

you know this is a thread about playing the NPCs in tribute right? lol

Are you saying that other players can't pull enemies over to you and interrupt your match? Where's the fun in that? ;)

Bartender to player pulling mobs into the tavern: "Hey! We don't serve their kind in here!"
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    So far I've played 11 matches against Expert NPCs and lost 2 of them, which is about 18% of them. That's much more often than I used to lose, but that percentage will go up or down later today when I play on the PC NA server. If I win all 3 of those matches then the percentage will go down to about 14%; but if I lose 1 of them then it will go up to 20%. In the past, when I've lost a match, I've almost always won the next match; it's been extremely rare for me to lose 2 in a row. Of course, that could change with the improved NPCs.

I won all 3 daily Expert NPC matches on PC NA (although it was a near thing in a couple of the matches), so my current "loss percentage" is about 14%.

Aside from becoming familiar enough with the NPCs' behavior to be able to anticipate its moves, winning or losing can come down to ones choice of patrons-- and the luck of the draw, of course.

I'm pretty sure that most of the times I've lost (under the current and previous updates to the NPCs' logic) were when Pelin was involved and the NPC got lucky during their first move, then proceeded to blow me out of the water.

So experimenting with different combinations of patrons can help one figure out which patrons tend to make good counters to other patrons.
  • DukeCybran
    DukeCybran
    ✭✭✭
    Also, do not ignore them even if they keep taking Psijic. Any combo may turn fatal.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've started losing 2 matches in a row to the smarter NPCs, which has never happened to me since I was first learning how to play Tales of Tribute. I don't like losing, but at least we get white coffers when we lose, so it just means more coffers to open after finally winning 3 matches.