Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Chose your Favorites

WiseSky
WiseSky
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
YcMlQLd.png

35YxbaO.png

Wrlugpw.png

hmCingT.png

wP5Z2nf.png

y3SyQac.png

A7NgEe2.png

wUb2hmr.png

b4OFxUU.png

IDyfnOm.png

These are written entries by our team for quest tasks for the Immersive Quests addon project.
We are having a contest to see which lore friendly flavour text is the best!

We are not talking about the formatting or the look, but the flavour text it self.

Let us know of your vote !
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 4, 2023 2:19AM
Immersive Quests Addon
Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
List of Immersion Addons

Chose your Favorites 21 votes

14%
RaddlemanNumber7mouch30amig186 3 votes
0%
9%
CatagamiDeter1UK 2 votes
0%
33%
chessalavakia_ESOLivvySaint-AngeTenthirty2AzuraFanTaSheenCazador 7 votes
4%
evan302 1 vote
19%
GlassHalfFullAstironbmnobleLunaFlora 4 votes
19%
BaertramDanikatcolossalvoidsWiseSky 4 votes
0%
0%
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we voting on the formatting - how the tasks are presented, or on the tasks themselves?
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming we're voting on the formatting it's easily #5. The flavor text in several of the others feels kind of unnecessary, especially considering the things it's describing are things you can see.

If this were a text based adventure or d&d the extra description would be good, but ESO's environment can speak for itself.
    Edited by Cazador on April 3, 2023 10:51PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm much in favor of the "flavor" of the parchment look....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with #5 because I felt it was direct and to the point but, I'm unsure if I'm the audience for your addon so it might be better to discard my feedback.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Are we voting on the formatting - how the tasks are presented, or on the tasks themselves?

The task themselves and not the formatting
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like that it gets to the point with the directions and only after that it adds a bit of flavour text.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I'm much in favor of the "flavor" of the parchment look....

It’s more about the flavour text then the formatting, should have mentioned it.
    Cazador wrote: »
    Assuming we're voting on the formatting it's easily #5. The flavor text in several of the others feels kind of unnecessary, especially considering the things it's describing are things you can see.

If this were a text based adventure or d&d the extra description would be good, but ESO's environment can speak for itself.

We are focusing on the flavour and not the formatting. Will edit the post to mention it.

Our goal is to provide a lore friendly way to solve quests without the need for way markers, hence why we add descriptive directions. As just having “ Talk to Enthoras” as in the last task image, does not provide enough info for the player to solve the task at hand without added directions.
    Immersive Quests Addon
    List of Immersion Addons
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... for me the formatting - the "look" - is more important. Sorry, but I like the parchment with the "handwritten" text.

Then again, I'm not primarily interested in this sort of rewrite. I remember everything in detail, except of course for the latest content - but even the latest content takes me only one playthrough and then I remember it in detail as well. So I'm not the primary "market" for your addon, though I do give you a lot of credit for going there.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 1, 7 and 8 but picked 8 as my favourite of the 3. Those all add details which I think would be useful for completing the tasks, without being overly long.

The others add details which sound more like favour text than useful directions. I don't think being told why someone isn't home or what they're looking at once I find them would help me to find where I'm going. 5 goes the other way and might still be too brief.

TaSheen wrote: »
    Well.... for me the formatting - the "look" - is more important. Sorry, but I like the parchment with the "handwritten" text.

Then again, I'm not primarily interested in this sort of rewrite. I remember everything in detail, except of course for the latest content - but even the latest content takes me only one playthrough and then I remember it in detail as well. So I'm not the primary "market" for your addon, though I do give you a lot of credit for going there.

I think the idea of this addon is you could use it the first time you're doing a quest, in conjunction with something like Pin Killer, so instead of just being told "Talk to Elgin" and only knowing who and where they are because there's a quest marker above their head you're given directions you can follow, so it's more realistic and more like older Elder Scrolls games.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eggs go splat
    PC EU
  • evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    1. Quite liked this one, some flavour but not too much.

6,7, 8. I liked all of these. Again, nice clear instructions and a little flavour. Personally, I think that strikes a good balance.
    Too much flavour text tends to make people skip. There is a lot of reading in the quests already, so I think it would be a mistake to go very heavy on the flavour text (personal opinion only ofc).

5. This will get the job done but it's way too dry for my liking.
    I'm assuming your target audience will be people who want an immersive experience and are probably interested in the lore. For them, I think 5 is only a slight improvement over a quest marker.

Such a pity you had 5 as the only handwritten on parchment one, since it was the text alone you wanted us to evaluate.
    5 is by far the nicest looking but the text is very much lacking imo.
    I think your poll is going to be distorted by people just choosing based on the appearance of the text box (especially since it looks like you didn't explain exactly what you wanted at first).
    Anyway, hope these comments are helpful.
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all congratulations. - I recognised all the quests from the descriptions.

1: Like the light humour in that, occasional humour is better than being over-flowery or over-portentous

4: (and 9) are a tad overblown for my taste

5: perfectly good if it's to replicate a found note

For the rest: honestly a difficult choice, I went with 3 for the balance of direction and information but your team's doing a great job all round by the look of it.

(Edited for clarity)
    Edited by Deter1UK on April 4, 2023 11:51AM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    evan302 wrote: »
    Such a pity you had 5 as the only handwritten on parchment one, since it was the text alone you wanted us to evaluate.
    5 is by far the nicest looking but the text is very much lacking imo.
    I think your poll is going to be distorted by people just choosing based on the appearance of the text box (especially since it looks like you didn't explain exactly what you wanted at first).
    Anyway, hope these comments are helpful.

I agree the presentation is going to affect the poll.

But this is also making me think I'm the odd-one out here. If that example is a note you find which is then copied into your quest journal then I agree it looks good, but if it's the actual journal entry then I don't like it. I like addons which blend in with the base games UI, ideally I'd like to forget that parts of what I'm looking at are an addon. Even if they look 'nicer' or more thematic if it's out of place it bothers me. I've been put off quite a few addons because they insist on trying to make it look like it belongs in Morrowind (I guess that was the creators first TES game and so what they think all things TES should look like) and so it looks very out of place in ESO.

• Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dislike the 5 note to show as quest information in the questlog, as Danikat already wrote. It does not match the other UI parts and breaks immersion that way, imho.

I prefer something like 8, where the info about what is to do is well defined and clear (suspecting that all quest markers and other hints will be missing the quest text needs to say a lot about the quest, but in short, without any "swollen" text around it, imo).
    Edited by Baertram on April 5, 2023 1:22PM