The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Direfrost Group Check

Credible_Joe
Credible_Joe
✭✭✭
"Hello, and thank you for exploring Direfrost Keep. We regret to inform you that you do not have enough friends to proceed. Please gather some randoms to sprint through the rest of the dungeon without experiencing any further narrative or lore."

> Staring hard at Isobel

"Sorry, but I'm contractually obligated to stand within five feet of you whenever we're not fighting. There is no physically possible way for me to stand on the other pressure plate."

Please. p l s, zos, let us direct our companions' movement a little. At least a 'stand here' command.

So, besides moaning about a dungeon mechanic, here are some suggestions for companions to round out their utility:
  • Differentiate recall from recall & stop combat. It'd be immensely convenient if companions would remain engaged with their enemy while returning to your position. But there are also times when damage needs to stop for whatever reason, or if you just want them to disengage. Maybe single vs double click? Or middle click? I can't remember if PetCommand+m3 does anything.
  • Add 'wait,' 'interact,' 'loot' commands. Let companions push buttons, stand on pressure plates, or collect stuff from containers
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on April 4, 2023 1:56AM
Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed. I'll NEVER do Direfrost Keep, because I play solo and I don't have the right character type to use the workaround. So that dungeon's basically pointless for me to enter.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every character can technically "solo" it, as long as you have Focused Aim (Bow) and Flying Blade (Dual Wield).
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every character can technically "solo" it, as long as you have Focused Aim (Bow) and Flying Blade (Dual Wield).

Or Propelling Shield (morph of Siege Shield, Support skill line), and any standard ranged attack.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hire a warm body. Pay someone 10,000 gold come stand on pressure plate.

Edited by FeedbackOnly on April 3, 2023 9:04PM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Which means *not* every character can solo it, because they must have the skills you mentioned.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ... but that dungeon has become particularly hilarious with companions, because the quest npc specifically states "... and me with no companion..." as the reason he thinks he cannot go through the gates, and... well, lo and behold, having a literal companion would literally not make a difference.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Which means *not* every character can solo it, because they must have the skills you mentioned.

add to that technically using those skills to bypass the mechanic breaks the TOS as it is playing the game other than intended. If they can't/won't let companions stand on one of the plates maybe it is time to remove the plates.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar uses a ranged AoE + gap closer for her workaround to routinely solo DFK but the simplest fix would be to make it so those plates are step on one, then go step on the other instead of both at the same time. The same way one player can do the group challenge for Na-Totambu public dungeon in Alik'r.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not opposed to group dungeons having group mechanics, but "step on a plate" is not a group mechanic and should be fixed.
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭
    Mik195 wrote: »
    I'm not opposed to group dungeons having group mechanics, but "step on a plate" is not a group mechanic and should be fixed.

In my opinion, the best mechanics scale in difficulty to the number of people in your group. Any hard wipe mechanic is the same as "step on a plate" if it's impossible to solo without exploits.

The Kiln in Unhallowed Grave is a great example of a good group mechanic. It's very much feasible to check which sigil to kite the boss to one at a time, but all three at once while the boss is preoccupied with the tank is fastest and safest.
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
  • JJMaxx1980
    JJMaxx1980
    ✭✭✭✭
    We do they need to ‘fix’ a four-man dungeon because you want to use it as it wasn’t intended to be used? Wait till you hear about AA, a trial that requires 12 people to complete. Should they ‘fix’ that too? Maybe ZOS should also ‘fix’ the Pledge of Mara because it requires two people.

Not everything in this game needs to be bent to your wants. Some things are group, some things are two, and some things are solo.

Also the group finder exists?

• vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JJMaxx1980 wrote: »
    We do they need to ‘fix’ a four-man dungeon because you want to use it as it wasn’t intended to be used? Wait till you hear about AA, a trial that requires 12 people to complete. Should they ‘fix’ that too? Maybe ZOS should also ‘fix’ the Pledge of Mara because it requires two people.

Not everything in this game needs to be bent to your wants. Some things are group, some things are two, and some things are solo.

I don't know if your reply was directed at me, but I never said anything about wanting the dungeon fixed. Perhaps you should re-read my posts?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if your reply was directed at me, but I never said anything about wanting the dungeon fixed. Perhaps you should re-read my posts?

I think that was pointed at Mik195....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see us able to better command our companions. They don't move out of 'red', continually run away from bosses, risking a reset, are always in your face when you try to interact with people/objects, and hang back fighting adds when you're trying to group them all together.

I don't think any 'group events' should be modified to make them 'soloable', mechanics that require multiple people in group events are appropriate. ESO provide us with ways to find groups, people who prefer not to use them have made their own choice.

Random groups aren't for everyone, especially if you want to do the quest, kill everything and look for chests or heavy sacks, but they do have their uses. I completed most (existing) dungeons years before the sticker book came out and randoms give me an easy way to go back and re-farm the gear I need to 'learn'.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be a nice improvement to Companions if we could order them to stand in a particular place until told they can move.
    Not only would it solve the OP's issue, but it would also make looting a lot easier as so often they get right in your face and force you to move until you can interact with the object you want, rather than opening the companion menu.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but what I meant is that every class has access to those skills. Your class or race does not matter. At some point every character can do it, once they have enough skill points.
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mechanic of the plates could be changed to "both plates must be activated within X seconds of each other". Probably easier to code than making us able to command companions to stand on a specific spot.
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD
    Drusilla Larouche - Breton - MagDK - AD
    Ko'Khanni - Khajiit - Magden - AD
    Ilithyia Ectorius - Imperial - DK Tank -AD

Keyboard and mouse FTW!
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How I would envision commanding Companions:

When out of combat, hovering the reticle over a Companion will show two buttons:
    • Talk (default key "E")
    • Command (default key "Y"), which can be activated from a distance

Selecting "Command" allows you to move your Companions by holding down "Y" and left-clicking the mouse, moving them to whereever you are pointing. They will stand still, until you initiate combat again, move too far away or call them back to you by holding down "Y" and right-clicking the mouse.
    Edited by Maitsukas on April 4, 2023 2:12PM
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »

When out of combat, hovering the reticle over a Companion will show two buttons:
    • Talk (default key "E")

Selecting "Command" allows you to move your Companions by holding down "Y" and left-clicking the mouse, moving them to whereever you are pointing. They will stand still, until you initiate combat again, move too far away or call them back to you by holding down "Y" and right-clicking the mouse.

this would be nice, at least for the direfrost plates

how about for something that requires interaction like levers in ICP? lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »

• Talk (default key "E")

this would be nice, at least for the direfrost plates

how about for something that requires interaction like levers in ICP? lol

Pointing towards levers while in "Command" mode would highlight them (like a furnishing), allowing your Companions to use them by holding down "Y" and left-clicking the mouse. Then they will run towards them, pull the lever and return to the player's side once the pulling animation is complete.
    Edited by Maitsukas on April 4, 2023 7:14PM
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So maybe instead make it work as intended for all and stop certain skills from allowing the character to advance. As it is now it isn't working as intended so something should be done.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    I think Zos intended for Companions to be able to replace players also In dungeons and Trials, so they should be able to step on direfrost plates like a player would do. It is really stupid if you can solo(with or without companions every NPC in the dungeon but still cant do the dungeon alone because you cant do pressure plate mechanic alone/with companions. This mechanic adds nothing for the game, the dunheon doesnt get more fun/challenging for groups by this mechanic, it just checks if you have 4 players in your group and otherwise prevents you from finishing dungeon. Maybe you even have 4 players but 1 doesnt understand english nor that he has to stand on pressure plate/doesnt read chat/has long disconnect, boykotts plate if he doesnt get what he wants usw. Players also should be allowed to exploit this mechanic with snipe/flying blade, because this mechanic is stupid and shouldnt exist. Other dungeons/trials cant be soloed because their difficulcy is balanced for 4/12 players, this dungeons difficulcy is balanced for 4 players and still so easy it could be soloed if not pressure plates would prevent players.