The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Mac OSX Setup for Best Performance?

Winterbush
Hi!

I'm running ESO on a Macbook Pro 15" with 8GB ram 2.53 Core 2 Duo, 75up/150 down Verizon Fios connected by ethernet. Terrible performance, really really laggy and slow no matter how I adjust the settings for video or audio. Hoping we can start a Sticky here (ahem, in English, preferably) where Mac users can describe their settings/systems and specs so we can compare performance of the game and narrow down the best setup.

So... if anyone has a smooth working setup, at any resolution, can you list the specs of your machine (include the OS), internet connection and the game settings? I will try to take a screen grab of my game settings and post it back here asap.

Thanks!
  • LiVnTheDR3aM
    LiVnTheDR3aM
    Soul Shriven
    I have a Mac Pro (early 2008), OSX 10.9.2, processor 2x2.8 GHz, Quad core intel xeon, memory 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2, Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512 MB.
    I have all game video setting on either low or medium. i can get exact when game comes back online.
    I get some lag in busy areas, but game is very playable.
    I reduced the settings because i was crashing often in the beginning. Not sure if that helped but crashing less often now. I can play for about 15 minutes before crashing up to an hour sometimes. most crashes just put me at the login screen.

Hope this helps
  • thetaobera
    Mac Pro Early 2009 2.93 quad core
    16gb ram
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Running 10.8.5
    I set everything on medium and have no issues
    I tried the high settings but found it laggy.
    Have had about five crashes, but I think that's a buggy server side issue as there are a crap ton of server side issues right now.

The last day the crashes stopped.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got an iMac Maverick mid 2011
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    OS X 10.9.2

I run on moderate settings, which works alright. If I put them to high quality, I find the game gets a little laggy. The only issues I had was from what I gather is being server problems, being logged off, lag here and there. Other than that, I have no problems.
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • mondothornpaw
    I have a iMac (mid 2011), OSX 10.7.5 (lion), processor 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB of 1333 MHz DDR3 ram, AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2 GB ram of DDR5 ram.

My in game settings are fullscreen, 2560x1440, Vertical sync off, Anti-aliasing on.
    Texture high, SubSampling medium, Shadow medium, Water Reflection off, Particle Density medium, View distance 37.
    Everything else is off except Depth of Field.

I do not crash often with these settings, perhaps once every couple of hours or so.
  • Mykonos
    Mykonos
    I played Beta fine on my mid 2010 macbook pro. Medium to high settings with only below average frame rate. I got the 2013 macbook pro, and now I'm sailing fine on Ultra. I'd focus on ram and video card
  • DBry
    DBry
    Early 2011 MBP, 2.2 i7, 6750m 1gb - I run Medium, bloom, grass, ambient occulsion, etc but without shadows or AA while questing/dungeons with 30+ FPS. However, I will definitely need to drop down to low when fighting anchors or PvPing.

I crash about once every 3-5 hours, which is not bad and I freeze for about 4 or 5 seconds every hour or so. Completely playable.
  • Winterbush
    Thanks everyone, great info here. I'll try to modify my settings according to your suggestions. I dropped the game for a while, it has frozen my machine every time I play. Follow up question- I'm running the game in windowed mode, do you think full screen plays better? It's a MBP (Late 2010) with 8gb ram.
  • Mansome
    Mansome
    ✭✭✭
    demendred wrote: »
    Got an iMac Maverick mid 2011
    Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
    OS X 10.9.2

I run on moderate settings, which works alright. If I put them to high quality, I find the game gets a little laggy. The only issues I had was from what I gather is being server problems, being logged off, lag here and there. Other than that, I have no problems.
    I have this setup with an i7 with a 16gb of ram. Game runs great on media settings.

• Recluse04
    Recluse04
    I'm sort of struggling with performance on my 27" iMac (Late 2013) - 3.2ghz i5 quad core, Nvidia GTX 755M (1GB), 16GB RAM. I can get away with Medium settings at 2560x1440 and get around 30fps questing, but in a city it's brutal. If I drop down to low, the game looks like utter crap. I've tried tweaking, but I can't help but feel there's something wrong here.

I play mainly on my PC anyway, and it's fine, but I feel like the newest generation iMac should perform better than this. Then again I guess the 755M isn't that great of a video card.
    Edited by Recluse04 on May 13, 2014 3:21PM