Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Why tank role become "leader" in most of random grouping?

AvalonRanger
AvalonRanger
✭✭✭✭✭
Why tank role become "leader" in most of random grouping?

I still don't fully understand mechanic of random grouping tool.
In most of case, tank role player usually become "leader" of the group automatically.

Just Why?
My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because this is the person who should be pulling mobs and therefore needs to go first. The tank really should know the boss mechanics as well, which would also mean they know the way through the dungeon.

    It doesn't always work out that way... People being people and all... But this is the reason.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As OBJnoob said, tank needs to go first to pull mobs. Someone else going ahead makes crowd control way more difficult because you don't get to see the trash before its pulled... so you can't taunt big enemies quick enough and they'll start bonking people. It also helps when all the enemies target the tank to make them group better and turn them around for the dps to get backstabber on trash. Tank also has final say in where the enemies go, while healer has final say on if people die or not, therefore both supports inherently are in a bit of a leadership position.

    But regardless on if you're a real tank or not, if you are labeled as tank you need to pull first.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a four-person solo PUG dungeon, it helps to figure out how far ahead the "tank" is from the rest of the group so the rest can know which bosses are dead and can be looted. :smile:

    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there's a person on voice chat barking moment to moment orders to coordinate a team trying to optimize its score, that person should probably be a DD, because tanks and healers need to react quickly to what's happening at the moment in the fight than DDs do.

    Otherwise, I agree with all of the above.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's a person on voice chat barking moment to moment orders to coordinate a team trying to optimize its score, that person should probably be a DD, because tanks and healers need to react quickly to what's happening at the moment in the fight than DDs do.

    Otherwise, I agree with all of the above.

    If there's anyone barking anything at me in a random dungeon I'm either gonna leave, kick them, or woof woof a little myself. Holy cow-- thank goodness this has never happened to me.

    Seriously, if you're "optimizing your score" don't do a random. And if you're not doing a random, make the leader whoever you want.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    If there's a person on voice chat barking moment to moment orders to coordinate a team trying to optimize its score, that person should probably be a DD, because tanks and healers need to react quickly to what's happening at the moment in the fight than DDs do.

    Otherwise, I agree with all of the above.

    If there's anyone barking anything at me in a random dungeon I'm either gonna leave, kick them, or woof woof a little myself. Holy cow-- thank goodness this has never happened to me.

    Seriously, if you're "optimizing your score" don't do a random. And if you're not doing a random, make the leader whoever you want.

    My bad. I forgot that "random" was in the title of the thread.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Because this is the person who should be pulling mobs and therefore needs to go first. The tank really should know the boss mechanics as well, which would also mean they know the way through the dungeon.

    It doesn't always work out that way... People being people and all... But this is the reason.

    Maybe...but, sometimes group list displays other role player(DPS or Healer) as leader.
    So, I think game script doesn't have function which force tank to become leader.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

    2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really have no idea. It seemed as though you were suggesting it DID make the tank the leader so I was assuming you were right and helping you to try and make sense of it.

    Regarding your last remark... Perhaps sometimes you random que as a solo but get grouped with a duo that qued together. In which case the leader of their group may become the leader of the dungeon.

    It's really not something I spend a lot of time on so I'm here to help brainstorm not provide observations of my own.

    If it is important to you... I suggest learning how to use the new marking system, so that you can keep track better and perhaps even play a part in deciding who the leader is. Who knows, the randoms might appreciate you for it.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Because this is the person who should be pulling mobs and therefore needs to go first. The tank really should know the boss mechanics as well, which would also mean they know the way through the dungeon.

    It doesn't always work out that way... People being people and all... But this is the reason.

    >>The tank really should know the boss mechanics as well...

    I disagree at this point. If it's first attempting for the new dungeon, tank player also doesn't know mechanic.
    Sometimes I see totally brain dead DPS in the random grouping. I really dislike those type of players as tank main.

    Do not blame only tank role.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

    2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    I really have no idea. It seemed as though you were suggesting it DID make the tank the leader so I was assuming you were right and helping you to try and make sense of it.

    Regarding your last remark... Perhaps sometimes you random que as a solo but get grouped with a duo that qued together. In which case the leader of their group may become the leader of the dungeon.

    It's really not something I spend a lot of time on so I'm here to help brainstorm not provide observations of my own.

    If it is important to you... I suggest learning how to use the new marking system, so that you can keep track better and perhaps even play a part in deciding who the leader is. Who knows, the randoms might appreciate you for it.

    >>I suggest learning how to use the new marking system...
    That makes me really confused actually. That's new marking system UI design is still very mysterious for me.
    I still don't fully understand those new UI meaning.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

    2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used it myself. But let's just say if 3 people have no mark and one person does then that person is going to stand out to everybody else, regardless of what the mark is or means.

    But I do think this is the answer you are looking for. I'd Google it a bit, learn how to use it, and use it. If I were you.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.

    Already answered that bit and moved on from it.
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.

    Already answered that bit and moved on from it.

    Not really. You randomly speculated on causes. The answer is that the human mind routinely takes small samples of RNG and imagines patterns where there are none.

    But none of that matters, thread “felt” like most people were missing what the OP meant, so I made it more clear for them. If they already knew, no sweat.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there's a person on voice chat barking moment to moment orders to coordinate a team trying to optimize its score, that person should probably be a DD, because tanks and healers need to react quickly to what's happening at the moment in the fight than DDs do.

    Otherwise, I agree with all of the above.

    Granted, I do not run with pugs but when I am tanking I am often reminding the group of what is happening or of something that needs attention. That has nothing to do with a role and certainly does not mean I need to be a DD. It is merely that I pay attention and can see the mechanics and just remind my group of what is happening. No one I run with would suggest I am barking and none would complain.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.

    Already answered that bit and moved on from it.

    Not really. You randomly speculated on causes. The answer is that the human mind routinely takes small samples of RNG and imagines patterns where there are none.

    But none of that matters, thread “felt” like most people were missing what the OP meant, so I made it more clear for them. If they already knew, no sweat.

    Hmm. Okay? Well the OP and I had a decent conversation about it that seemed to satisfy both of our curiosities. You probably weren't talking to me so... My bad.

    But what makes you so sure it's only in his head? Do you perhaps have some pertinent information you'd like to share? Or.... ??
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also if I am given crown in a pug group I will almost immediately transfer it to the tank. Unless they start yoloing.

    The tank is supposed to be point and I was taught to pass crow to them as soon as everyone had landed and got organised.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.

    Yea. That's what I really want to know. Not about role mech or strategy, but about system issue of random
    grouping tool of ESO.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

    2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.

    Already answered that bit and moved on from it.

    Not really. You randomly speculated on causes. The answer is that the human mind routinely takes small samples of RNG and imagines patterns where there are none.

    But none of that matters, thread “felt” like most people were missing what the OP meant, so I made it more clear for them. If they already knew, no sweat.

    Hmm. Okay? Well the OP and I had a decent conversation about it that seemed to satisfy both of our curiosities. You probably weren't talking to me so... My bad.

    But what makes you so sure it's only in his head? Do you perhaps have some pertinent information you'd like to share? Or.... ??

    I recommend you reread the thread paying special note to the various posts by OP. I don’t think he is expressing a “satisfied curiosity” in his dialogue with you.

    [snip]

    [baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 28, 2023 9:34PM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly? It's to yank on the two DDs' chains, since they usually like to assume that they're The Most Important Players in the game. /jk :D
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    He’s asking why tank usually has crown. Not strats.

    Already answered that bit and moved on from it.

    Not really. You randomly speculated on causes. The answer is that the human mind routinely takes small samples of RNG and imagines patterns where there are none.

    But none of that matters, thread “felt” like most people were missing what the OP meant, so I made it more clear for them. If they already knew, no sweat.

    Hmm. Okay? Well the OP and I had a decent conversation about it that seemed to satisfy both of our curiosities. You probably weren't talking to me so... My bad.

    But what makes you so sure it's only in his head? Do you perhaps have some pertinent information you'd like to share? Or.... ??

    I recommend you reread the thread paying special note to the various posts by OP. I don’t think he is expressing a “satisfied curiosity” in his dialogue with you.

    [snip]

    I'm engaging with you because you seem to find my contributions less than helpful but you haven't said anything to shed light on the issue either. So I feel wronged, [snip]

    But maybe if you could share the facts behind why you think the leader is randomized then I would see why my thoughts were mere speculation and yours are more helpful.

    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on March 28, 2023 9:35PM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @OBJnoob I’m sorry you feel wronged. But no. I’m not going to argue with you whether or not the crown is random.

    😳
  • ZOS_Kraken
    Hello!

    Please be sure when posting to keep the forums a civil and constructive platform for the game and its community as a whole.

    Zos_Kraken
    Staff Post
Sign In or Register to comment.