Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PC Reset: AddOns not found by ESO?

millergb
millergb
Soul Shriven
Probably been addressed a few times, but the ESO isn't finding the AddOns folder?

I had to do a nearing factory recently reset with Window 11, reinstalled ESO and Minion. Minion found the new documents folder; however, ESO not so lucky. Other possible variables may be OneDrive and Dropbox redundancies with backing up the documents folder. Bit of a bummer as there were zero issues prior to the factory reset.

Any possible guidance towards as solution were both Minion and ESO can find the AddOns?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are any of the directories or folders read-only? Or in use by another process?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Drive can cause issues with games. But mostly that is performance crashing issues.

However, try turning it off just to see.

Also, the Ransomware protection gave me all kinds of headaches with ESO Addon Data and mods for other games and saves with single player games. Try turning that off in the Security Center.

Did you use Minion to reinstall the addons? Make sure Minion was installed into Program Files and not some random directory. That can bork addons too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• millergb
    millergb
    Soul Shriven
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Are any of the directories or folders read-only? Or in use by another process?

I've unchecked that box in properties multiple times.

Fun compounder, the OneDrive was originally set up when I lived in Japan around 18 years ago... So of course, there is some Kanjin in that string.

Three possible folders in which ESO isn't picking up from either:
    1. C:\Users\mille\OneDrive\ドキュメント\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
    2. C:\Users\mille\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
    3. C:\Users\mille\Dropbox\OneDrive\ドキュメント\Elder Scrolls Online\live\AddOns
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the Anti Ransom Ware crap that keeps you from unchecking Read Only on your My Documents Which is Stupid if you ask me.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• millergb
    millergb
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    It is the Anti Ransom Ware crap that keeps you from unchecking Read Only on your My Documents Which is Stupid if you ask me.

Yeah, a little weird, wasn't a problem before.

I uncheck the box, then it rechecks itself during the next look through.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭
    Go to windows security center, or search for windows defender. In the advanced settings check the ransomware protection and whitelist/allow eso64.exe from your game install directory (its not in documents/Elder Scrolls Online, but in the folder where the launcher is in, subfolder client) so it got access to your documents folder where the addons are stored in.

This should fix access to the settings txt files and addons and savedvariables again.
    Edited by Baertram on March 20, 2023 3:16PM