The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

A problem with nightblade

Exhibitions
Exhibitions
Soul Shriven
So, when I play elderscrolls games, I'm always an assassin with a bow. I kill people from afar, and in my latest play of skyrim, have gotten to level 50 so far, with no deaths.

So, right now in ESO, I've got my nightblade to about level 9, but in every fight, I end up dying. It doesn't matter what I'm fighting, or how many of them there are, I almost always die...What am I doing wrong, exactly?
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, what abilities and things are you using?
    Your effectiveness in combat is a lot about how good your set of skills are, and how well you use them.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are 'always' dying, make sure your armor and weapons are at least level 6, you are using your class skills, and don't stand in the red circle.
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know. I have the same experience. I have switched to duel wield now and just mowing down npc's.

I think Bows need to be looked at by the Devs. They are pretty much usless to solo players after lvl 8.

I will try out Bows when I am at a higher level and see what happens. I do like my bow in Elder Scrolls games, though I must say I am getting a taste for dual wield.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bows aren't useless for solo players.
    I have seen videos of nightblade bow players - it can be one of the best solo builds around.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »
    I have seen videos of nightblade bow players - it can be one of the best solo builds around.

I will have to try mixing the skills I have and see what happens.

• Exhibitions
    Exhibitions
    Soul Shriven
    Killum wrote: »
    I don't know. I have the same experience. I have switched to duel wield now and just mowing down npc's.

I think Bows need to be looked at by the Devs. They are pretty much usless to solo players after lvl 8.

I will try out Bows when I am at a higher level and see what happens. I do like my bow in Elder Scrolls games, though I must say I am getting a taste for dual wield.

I'm having the same problem with dual weilding, as I switch to that as well.

I'm using volley, and poison arrow, the version that interupts, those are my only two bow skills.
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inversus wrote: »

I will have to try mixing the skills I have and see what happens.

Use a mix of class and bow skills.
    Things like magnum shot/scatter shot are great for keeping your enemy back. Use things like knockbacks and snares to keep enemies at bay, while also using damage abilities and weapon attacks.
    A combination of keeping your enemy at bay and damage is the best way to go about solo leveling.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well my sorcerer ( I know, not the same...) uses 1 hand/shield,, but for those encounters that whoop me up, I switch to bow (poison arrow and volley, not morphed) and I mop up even the most difficult of encounters.
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭

I'm having the same problem with dual weilding, as I switch to that as well.

I'm using volley, and poison arrow, the version that interupts, those are my only two bow skills.

I will let someone else answer about the Bow. I have the same Bow skills as you and as for Duel Wield I use a combination of assassin & duel wield skills.
    Edited by Killum on March 31, 2014 5:20PM
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    So you are saying he needs more points in mana..
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you are saying he needs more points in mana..

You don't necessarily need more points in magicka, but whether you are focused on magicka or not, you always have a magicka resource - it only makes sense to use it.
    Even if you put no points into magicka, it is always worth slotting one or two magicka based abilities.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Hawke
    Hawke
    ✭✭✭✭
    But Let me add also, just because you have a bow equipped, does not mean that you dont block power attacks, or interrupt casting of long spells... While you won't do crazy damage like a melee weapon with a power attack from the rear... You do get some time not getting hit, and you are pelting them with arrows.

Also, your equipment does matter to a point, if you are using level 3 stuff and you are level 9, you are gonna get your face smashed unless you are very careful.

Eating foods help a TON. I eat a food that gives me 60 stamina for 35 minutes. 60 EXTRA stamina...that is huge. I could use it for HP or Magicka, but I like to sprint everywhere...
  • Lux
    Lux
    Choose high elf and farm equip as better you can (medium armor so you have more stamina for bow skills). But you deal physical damage only
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    I have soloed as a bow user (nightblade and dragonknight) to level 15ish. The key to bow using is either NOT standing your ground (kite), OR, use CC to keep them away. The first Assassination skill is great for killing that stubborn enemy that happens to get right in your face. The second skill in syphon is also great CC for multi-opponent pulls.

This is not your average MMO. You have to play smart (good skill usage, keeping your armor/weapons up to par) or you die... a lot.

As an example, WITH my nightblade bow user, I was able to complete a level 8 quest chain with a level 4-5 nightblade bow user. You can do well.. but you have to be careful, cautious, and play smart.
  • Honn
    Honn
    ✭✭✭
    Get the Blood fountain from the Undaunted guild & set it up at your range. It will help when mobs close in, and will allow you to maintain stealth because you are setting it up at range.
    Also...using the Siphon ability to rgen HP will help a lot.

Knockbacks are very useful, but requires some pretty nifty co-ordination on your part to play around with multiple mobs. Also..it stuns them a bit or unless you hit them again. So ensure your next hit is a power hit to get full benefit of it.
    You can also invest in an Assassin melee skill to finish off those mobs that get within 5 meters.
  • Exhibitions
    Exhibitions
    Soul Shriven
    does anyone know of any build guides for nightblade bow users? I'm not really sure what to put my points in to. Also, how do I enchant gear? I've had really hard problems getting better gear, as I can never find rawhide.
  • Exhibitions
    Exhibitions
    Soul Shriven
    aaanyone?
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    Enchants are built with runestones, or purchased from a merchant... they really aren't required. WHy not build you some heavy armor if you have found iron? Even if its not what you intend to stick with, might as well have SOMETHING on worth having rather than sticking with less effective armor because you are having trouble finding places to farm rawhide.

If you are daggerfall, I can give you some good places near daggerfall to look for rawhide.. but not 100% sure about the other two.

If not, ask around the blacksmith shop and see if someone can help you out... trade some trait-ed gear(has a title at the bottom) for something good from a blacksmith/leatherworker. Get to know people :-)
  • Exhibitions
    Exhibitions
    Soul Shriven
    I am indeed in daggerfall, where are you getting your rawhide?
  • dread67
    dread67
    I find shadow cloak to be a useful ability. Pop it and use the two seconds to get some distance or reposition.
  • ManiacMcLaughton
    I am indeed in daggerfall, where are you getting your rawhide?

Harpies just next to daggerfall, or werewolves up in the swamps. Both are plentiful.
  • mutharex
    mutharex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The siphoning skill line is very helpful for survivability
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    mutharex wrote: »
    The siphoning skill line is very helpful for survivability

^ this indeed.

use your DoT's and morph them so they heal you also. Rekey your dodge to something more useful. (double tap rarely works for me) and don't forget to block when you can't get out of the way.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite