Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Impossible-locked Chests

Replies_With_Gifs
Surely there is a purpose for them being there, so how do you pick impossible-locks or is it for some sort of quest?
  • Inversus
    Inversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you can only unpick them once you get the thieves guild perk.

Note that as of yet we don't know when thieves guild are coming, and nobody has any idea what the class will contain; this was just a guess.
    VR14 EH Sorc
    VR1 AD NB Crafter
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    It takes practice. I opened my 1st today. Never managed to open one in Beta.
  • Brugalt
    Brugalt
    Soul Shriven
    Killum wrote: »

What was inside? Jimmy Hoffa's body?

• elfindreams
    elfindreams
    ✭✭

Are you sure you are talking impossible ones... Master is the highest I have been able to pick, impossible doesn't even give me the minigame and the option to pick it is greyed out...

• Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Brugalt wrote: »

What was inside? Jimmy Hoffa's body?

Nothing I really wanted Lol.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a theory it's character level based (unless lockpicking is tracked behind the scenes). I haven't been able to test it because the one time I did find an impossible chest when I came back a few minutes later (gaining a level) it had already been taken.
  • RustyBlades
    RustyBlades
    ✭✭✭
    I find most chest contain a staff and some sort of armor your char isn't rolling in. The impossible chests are just above your level. Put on a level or 2 and go back - they should be master or so by then. Also rogues have a pick bonus of some sort as my assassin hasn't found anything impossible yet other than locating a cabbage.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Impossible chests probably have items that are too high a level for your character. The higher the lock difficulty, the better the stuff inside tends to be.

The frequency of impossible chests tends to increase as you move into areas much higher than your character's level. At least that's been my experience.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Seikon
    Seikon
    ✭✭✭
    Shimond wrote: »
    I have a theory it's character level based (unless lockpicking is tracked behind the scenes). I haven't been able to test it because the one time I did find an impossible chest when I came back a few minutes later (gaining a level) it had already been taken.
    This is right - they're based off of your character level. So, for example, a level 3 looking at a chest might see impossible, but a level 5 would see intermediate. I don't know if the numbers are right, but you get the point. :)
  • hrdndv_ESO
    hrdndv_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. It is level based. If you can't pick it you get the message "impossible." I have never found anything really worthwhile in a chest. The items I found were always a level or two below my level. The only thing they are good for is a few gold when you sell them. Or parts when you take them apart.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impossible are probably quest related or need a specific key or item. That would be my guess hence the name Impossible (to pick).
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Seikon wrote: »
    This is right - they're based off of your character level. So, for example, a level 3 looking at a chest might see impossible, but a level 5 would see intermediate. I don't know if the numbers are right, but you get the point. :)

Ahh That makes sense. I was grouped with someone a couple of lvl's lower. They said it was impossible, probably wasn't to me.

• Darkstorn42
    Darkstorn42
    ✭✭✭
    Seikon wrote: »

Actually I believe it is tracked behind the scenes. During the beta my friends and I on more then one occasion had found chests that were (for them) all master level, and even a few impossibles. I though (Even being the lowest level) saw them as intermediate or master. That is because I was much better at the minigame then them. I had opened up many more chests. So I am pretty sure there is a hidden skill that determines it.

So while I am not sure about the level thing I am pretty sure there is a hidden skill that we may get to see when thieves guild is released.
  • Ariane
    Ariane
    ✭✭✭
    I'm completely sure it has to do with level. I leveled with a guildie during beta and his level was higher than mine. Whenever I found 'impossible chests', he saw them as 'master' difficult (or whatever name it was) and he was able to open them :)
    Edited by Ariane on March 31, 2014 5:16PM
    "I am not an Argonian. I am a crocodile"
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭

Actually I believe it is tracked behind the scenes. During the beta my friends and I on more then one occasion had found chests that were (for them) all master level, and even a few impossibles. I though (Even being the lowest level) saw them as intermediate or master. That is because I was much better at the minigame then them. I had opened up many more chests. So I am pretty sure there is a hidden skill that determines it.

So while I am not sure about the level thing I am pretty sure there is a hidden skill that we may get to see when thieves guild is released.

You could be right there. Makes sense.
  • Dignam
    Dignam

not true seeing as you are not allowed to attempt an "impossible" chest. Chest difficulty is level based. One that is impossible means you are simple too low level.

• Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is based on level.

Also, coolness. If your character looks silly trying to pick a lock, more of them become impossible. Orcs headbutting it doesn't help.
  • Annshadow
    Annshadow
    Last night I came across an Impossible lock. I swam across the water and opened two other chests and came back and the "Impossible" one was a master level. I did not advance in level or mini-advance. I had only done a few chests when I came across the impossible one (it was a new character).

It may have some thing to do with how many chests you have picked.
  • Gelston
    Gelston
    ✭✭✭
    It could be a combination of level and how often you pick.
  • jdkorreckpreub18_ESO
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    It is based on level.

Also, coolness. If your character looks silly trying to pick a lock, more of them become impossible. Orcs headbutting it doesn't help.

Nord headbutts work however, the wood splinters in terror of us.