Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Not sure if this has been asked but is there a lore explanation for no levitation in eso ?

isadoraisacat
isadoraisacat
✭✭✭✭✭
Being eso is from before arena / Daggerfall / morrowind which all had levitation is there a lore explanation for why it’s not during the events of eso ? Is it because magic is as in its infancy and wasn’t developed yet ? I can’t find any written answer.

Obviously there is game mechanic reasons for not existing but I’m looking for a lore explanation.

If it’s been asked before my apologizes.
Edited by isadoraisacat on February 18, 2023 4:28PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.



    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say that it is more of a lost art. Ancient mages knew ancient secrets, and all that.

    I think we can see some guild mages using levitation in ESO. Floating a couple of feet above the ground and moving forward at a speed slower than walking pace. I guess they get better at it in the centuries to come.

    The Vestige's skill set is quite restricted. There are many magical skills we see other mages using in the game that the Vestige simply cannot do.

    That’s what I figured I’d love Bethesda / zos to release a statement but I always assumed it was because magic was just being refined way back during these times and haven’t perfected all the spells or even crafted them yet.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.


    Yeah that’s what I figured I was just wondering if besthsda or zos ever made a statement on this topic I can’t find one. But this is the conclusion I’ve reached also.

  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.

    Yeah that’s what I figured I was just wondering if besthsda or zos ever made a statement on this topic I can’t find one. But this is the conclusion I’ve reached also.

    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Levitation_Act
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t you use a levitation “elevator” in Tel Branora when you visit Mistress Therana? They may be in other towers, and I just didn’t notice them.

  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.

    Yeah that’s what I figured I was just wondering if besthsda or zos ever made a statement on this topic I can’t find one. But this is the conclusion I’ve reached also.

    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Levitation_Act

    The levitation act is for explanation for the third era eso takes place way before this. So this isn’t an explanation for it not being in the events of eso just a way for Bethesda to explain it away in games after morrowind.

    Eso is basically the tes version of the Silmarillion as it explains all back story of the past and fills in gaps but there are something’s I’m wondering that aren’t addressed… we have an explanation for this in recent eras and current time in Tamriel
    With I think blades being the most current in modern time but nothing on this for why it’s not in eso in the past prior to tes1-3.


    Edited by isadoraisacat on February 18, 2023 9:27PM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    Don’t you use a levitation “elevator” in Tel Branora when you visit Mistress Therana? They may be in other towers, and I just didn’t notice them.

    Right I’m talking about full on levitation spells you can cast from tes1-3 there is levitation “elevators” in Skyrim too in the dragon born dlc

    This isn’t what I mean
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ylahizu the Magnificent, random encounter from Blackwood, will levitate you as one of three options. So it does exist.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people of Tamriel suck at building roofs. So they dont want you to see the shoddy hap hazard style.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

    PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Ylahizu the Magnificent, random encounter from Blackwood, will levitate you as one of three options. So it does exist.


    I looked it up I wasnt aware of that npc but still doesn’t answer why we can’t do it as a lore explanation or why it’s hardly seen or mentioned they explained it away in post Tes 3 games would be good for world building to explain it here.

    However, that’s one npc we as the player still can’t do it not many others do it like in tes1-3 it’s very common. Was just looking for any lore reasons for it not being widely seen or able to be used.

  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I looked it up I wasnt aware of that npc but still doesn’t answer why we can’t do it as a lore explanation
    Does this need a lore explanation? Other than a general explanation on why our characters are already locked into the skill line system and can't learn other spells.
    However, that’s one npc we as the player still can’t do it not many others do it like in tes1-3 it’s very common. Was just looking for any lore reasons for it not being widely seen or able to be used.
    Was it all that common? I remember learning levitate in TES II, and the dead mage in TES III.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.

    Yeah that’s what I figured I was just wondering if besthsda or zos ever made a statement on this topic I can’t find one. But this is the conclusion I’ve reached also.

    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Levitation_Act

    The levitation act is for explanation for the third era eso takes place way before this. So this isn’t an explanation for it not being in the events of eso just a way for Bethesda to explain it away in games after morrowind.

    You were not specific regarding any constraints on the information you were interested in. :smile:

    If pressed, ZOS is just going to roll out something similar for ESO. Not invented, or at least not widely known (same thing), will be the gist of anything that comes of that.

    Edited by Elsonso on February 19, 2023 2:18AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DTLight
    DTLight
    Levitation is used like crazy in ESO, don't know what most of you mean. Go to Eyevea, many of the mages there use mostly levitation to "walk" around

    Why can't PCs use it? Probably because it would be unbelievably janky in the game. Could maybe be a personality in the future or something that changes the walking, running, etc animations like scholar, beast, zombie, etc but for now? No dice.

    In lore though yeah it's being used plenty by mages who want to do that
    PC EU - @Ender_Tender
    Sometimes I stream myself doing Vet. content/Normal trials - https://www.twitch.tv/ender_tender
    Gallaf ddarllen ychydig o Gymraeg
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTLight wrote: »
    Levitation is used like crazy in ESO, don't know what most of you mean. Go to Eyevea, many of the mages there use mostly levitation to "walk" around

    Why can't PCs use it? Probably because it would be unbelievably janky in the game. Could maybe be a personality in the future or something that changes the walking, running, etc animations like scholar, beast, zombie, etc but for now? No dice.

    In lore though yeah it's being used plenty by mages who want to do that

    Right now what I asked… I asked if there is anywhere in the lore that states why we can’t use levitation as a common spell as it was in the first 3 games.

    I’m not sure how much of arena / Daggerfall or morrowind you played but it was a very important part of traversing many areas and in eso it feels very much like Skyrim in that the world isn’t built for that. Being this is before those first 3 games a lore reason to explain it away as they did in post morrowind wound be nice clearly the developers don’t want to implement it… that’s. Real world answer I’m asking for a lore answer.
  • DTLight
    DTLight
    DTLight wrote: »
    Levitation is used like crazy in ESO, don't know what most of you mean. Go to Eyevea, many of the mages there use mostly levitation to "walk" around

    Why can't PCs use it? Probably because it would be unbelievably janky in the game. Could maybe be a personality in the future or something that changes the walking, running, etc animations like scholar, beast, zombie, etc but for now? No dice.

    In lore though yeah it's being used plenty by mages who want to do that

    Right now what I asked… I asked if there is anywhere in the lore that states why we can’t use levitation as a common spell as it was in the first 3 games.

    I’m not sure how much of arena / Daggerfall or morrowind you played but it was a very important part of traversing many areas and in eso it feels very much like Skyrim in that the world isn’t built for that. Being this is before those first 3 games a lore reason to explain it away as they did in post morrowind wound be nice clearly the developers don’t want to implement it… that’s. Real world answer I’m asking for a lore answer.

    If that's just the question, then no. There's not a lore answer, and probably won't ever be unless it gets put in in the future (don't see that happening either)
    PC EU - @Ender_Tender
    Sometimes I stream myself doing Vet. content/Normal trials - https://www.twitch.tv/ender_tender
    Gallaf ddarllen ychydig o Gymraeg
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    ghastley wrote: »
    Don’t you use a levitation “elevator” in Tel Branora when you visit Mistress Therana? They may be in other towers, and I just didn’t notice them.
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.

    Yeah that’s what I figured I was just wondering if besthsda or zos ever made a statement on this topic I can’t find one. But this is the conclusion I’ve reached also.

    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Levitation_Act

    The levitation act is for explanation for the third era eso takes place way before this. So this isn’t an explanation for it not being in the events of eso just a way for Bethesda to explain it away in games after morrowind.

    You were not specific regarding any constraints on the information you were interested in. :smile:

    If pressed, ZOS is just going to roll out something similar for ESO. Not invented, or at least not widely known (same thing), will be the gist of anything that comes of that.

    I thought it was pretty specific in stating in my initial first post when saying this is BEFORE the first 3 elder scrolls games and I said lore explanation for it not being DURING THE EVENTS OF ESO. Thought I was pretty clear but yes would be nice for them to give this the same treatment it makes the world seem more real and less video gamey when they give a lore reason for developer restraints.

    I doubt they can ever explain away double companions running around though.. if they could
    Would help a little with that immersion break.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTLight wrote: »
    DTLight wrote: »
    Levitation is used like crazy in ESO, don't know what most of you mean. Go to Eyevea, many of the mages there use mostly levitation to "walk" around

    Why can't PCs use it? Probably because it would be unbelievably janky in the game. Could maybe be a personality in the future or something that changes the walking, running, etc animations like scholar, beast, zombie, etc but for now? No dice.

    In lore though yeah it's being used plenty by mages who want to do that

    Right now what I asked… I asked if there is anywhere in the lore that states why we can’t use levitation as a common spell as it was in the first 3 games.

    I’m not sure how much of arena / Daggerfall or morrowind you played but it was a very important part of traversing many areas and in eso it feels very much like Skyrim in that the world isn’t built for that. Being this is before those first 3 games a lore reason to explain it away as they did in post morrowind wound be nice clearly the developers don’t want to implement it… that’s. Real world answer I’m asking for a lore answer.

    If that's just the question, then no. There's not a lore answer, and probably won't ever be unless it gets put in in the future (don't see that happening either)


    Well they should consider.. considering they did that to explain it away in the main series. It will definitely add to the world building and make the game more immersive.
  • DTLight
    DTLight
    DTLight wrote: »
    DTLight wrote: »
    Levitation is used like crazy in ESO, don't know what most of you mean. Go to Eyevea, many of the mages there use mostly levitation to "walk" around

    Why can't PCs use it? Probably because it would be unbelievably janky in the game. Could maybe be a personality in the future or something that changes the walking, running, etc animations like scholar, beast, zombie, etc but for now? No dice.

    In lore though yeah it's being used plenty by mages who want to do that

    Right now what I asked… I asked if there is anywhere in the lore that states why we can’t use levitation as a common spell as it was in the first 3 games.

    I’m not sure how much of arena / Daggerfall or morrowind you played but it was a very important part of traversing many areas and in eso it feels very much like Skyrim in that the world isn’t built for that. Being this is before those first 3 games a lore reason to explain it away as they did in post morrowind wound be nice clearly the developers don’t want to implement it… that’s. Real world answer I’m asking for a lore answer.

    If that's just the question, then no. There's not a lore answer, and probably won't ever be unless it gets put in in the future (don't see that happening either)


    Well they should consider.. considering they did that to explain it away in the main series. It will definitely add to the world building and make the game more immersive.

    Maybe, but they probably might like keeping stuff like that open because:
    1. Mages are actually using it in-game still
    2. They might do something like add a personality that allows it, or the like
    3. When they put out the lore with the levitation -act stuff, it was viewed as pretty silly by a lot of the community at the time for many reasons. They might just not want to repeat that either.
    PC EU - @Ender_Tender
    Sometimes I stream myself doing Vet. content/Normal trials - https://www.twitch.tv/ender_tender
    Gallaf ddarllen ychydig o Gymraeg
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    you as a player can levitate, using the Meditative state - an ability of the Psijic Order. I think this spell falls under the Thaumaturgy school of majic that affects will and personal state of mind - thus the meditative state. Ylahizy the Magnificent claims to be a Master of this School, and will levitate you for coins paid. So maybe a lore explanation would be that in ESO's time Thaumaturgy majic is just beginning to be discovered - like you say, in its infancy.
    Edited by Eporem on February 19, 2023 12:48AM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »
    you as a player can levitate, using the Meditative state - an ability of the Psijic Order. I think this spell falls under the Thaumaturgy school of majic that affects will and personal state of mind - thus the meditative state. Ylahizy the Magnificent claims to be a Master of this School, and will levitate you for coins paid. So maybe a lore explanation would be that in ESO's time Thaumaturgy majic is just beginning to be discovered - like you say, in its infancy.

    Yeah that’s what I said above and I agree it being in the infancy stages (I actually said this very thing ) is prob the case It would just be nice to hear it addressed in the lore in more detail.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTLight wrote: »
    DTLight wrote: »
    DTLight wrote: »
    Levitation is used like crazy in ESO, don't know what most of you mean. Go to Eyevea, many of the mages there use mostly levitation to "walk" around

    Why can't PCs use it? Probably because it would be unbelievably janky in the game. Could maybe be a personality in the future or something that changes the walking, running, etc animations like scholar, beast, zombie, etc but for now? No dice.

    In lore though yeah it's being used plenty by mages who want to do that

    Right now what I asked… I asked if there is anywhere in the lore that states why we can’t use levitation as a common spell as it was in the first 3 games.

    I’m not sure how much of arena / Daggerfall or morrowind you played but it was a very important part of traversing many areas and in eso it feels very much like Skyrim in that the world isn’t built for that. Being this is before those first 3 games a lore reason to explain it away as they did in post morrowind wound be nice clearly the developers don’t want to implement it… that’s. Real world answer I’m asking for a lore answer.

    If that's just the question, then no. There's not a lore answer, and probably won't ever be unless it gets put in in the future (don't see that happening either)


    Well they should consider.. considering they did that to explain it away in the main series. It will definitely add to the world building and make the game more immersive.

    Maybe, but they probably might like keeping stuff like that open because:
    1. Mages are actually using it in-game still
    2. They might do something like add a personality that allows it, or the like
    3. When they put out the lore with the levitation -act stuff, it was viewed as pretty silly by a lot of the community at the time for many reasons. They might just not want to repeat that either.

    It’s silly but at least it gives a explanation.
    There are many other things across the whole series that still could use some explanation this is just one of them.
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »
    you as a player can levitate, using the Meditative state - an ability of the Psijic Order. I think this spell falls under the Thaumaturgy school of majic that affects will and personal state of mind - thus the meditative state. Ylahizy the Magnificent claims to be a Master of this School, and will levitate you for coins paid. So maybe a lore explanation would be that in ESO's time Thaumaturgy majic is just beginning to be discovered - like you say, in its infancy.

    Yeah that’s what I said above and I agree it being in the infancy stages (I actually said this very thing ) is prob the case It would just be nice to hear it addressed in the lore in more detail.

    yes, sorry, I thought to have pressed the Quote button on your very first post before writing out my reply, agreeing with you that this school of majic might be in an infancy stage. Another explanation too could be as well that this type of magic has come to light or to more of an awareness, with the return of Eyevea, as another has mentioned in these replies, for I think Shalidor is connected somehow to this way of majic. Maybe one day Eyevea will be the place one must go to learn more of this skill.

    Edited by Eporem on February 19, 2023 7:28PM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »
    Eporem wrote: »
    you as a player can levitate, using the Meditative state - an ability of the Psijic Order. I think this spell falls under the Thaumaturgy school of majic that affects will and personal state of mind - thus the meditative state. Ylahizy the Magnificent claims to be a Master of this School, and will levitate you for coins paid. So maybe a lore explanation would be that in ESO's time Thaumaturgy majic is just beginning to be discovered - like you say, in its infancy.

    Yeah that’s what I said above and I agree it being in the infancy stages (I actually said this very thing ) is prob the case It would just be nice to hear it addressed in the lore in more detail.

    yes, sorry, I thought to have pressed the Quote button on your very first post before writing out my reply, agreeing with you that this school of majic might be in an infancy stage. Another explanation too could be as well that this type of magic has come to light or to more of an awareness, with the return of Eyevea, as another has mentioned in these replies, for I think Shalidor is connected somehow to this way of majic. Maybe one day Eyevea will be the place one must go to learn more of this skill.

    That’s possible I just hope they expand more. Every tiny detail makes this world more realistic and as someone who plays eso mostly single play for the story / lore / world building that’s something I really hope they include more and more of they have done such a good job fleshing out the Khajiit so I know they are capable of expanding other aspects of the lore to make things more “lived in” and realistic.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The “in its infancy” argument is a good one.

    Note that at this point you can’t generally fast travel, just between wayshrines, and to your home. Some specialised mages can cast portals, but that’s all well short of Mark/recall. Once everyone learns how to do it, they will probably demolish all those wayshrines, or convert them into something else.

    So minor examples of levitation do exist, like the Telvanni elevators, but it still needs work. Even in TES 3, not everyone really had the hang of it.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    The “in its infancy” argument is a good one.

    Note that at this point you can’t generally fast travel, just between wayshrines, and to your home. Some specialised mages can cast portals, but that’s all well short of Mark/recall. Once everyone learns how to do it, they will probably demolish all those wayshrines, or convert them into something else.

    So minor examples of levitation do exist, like the Telvanni elevators, but it still needs work. Even in TES 3, not everyone really had the hang of it.

    Yeah I think that’s pretty much what the explanation is and honestly makes sense with the lore of how magic was started so I accept this as the answer now.
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.



    The funny thing about the "ban" is that the Levitation act never says what it is only that one person lost their passion for magic due to the Levitation act. TES4 never actually says what it does
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Though lore wise levitation is most likely around game wise MMOs have shown that adding things that fly tends to be a pain but if everyone can do it then abilities really don't work well which is why Underwater stuff for MMOs really does not work well and probably why ESO simply won't let us swim underwater.

    I think Telvanni Towers have levitation pads but I forgot the name of the doors
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Though lore wise levitation is most likely around game wise MMOs have shown that adding things that fly tends to be a pain but if everyone can do it then abilities really don't work well which is why Underwater stuff for MMOs really does not work well and probably why ESO simply won't let us swim underwater.

    I think Telvanni Towers have levitation pads but I forgot the name of the doors

    Right I get the limitations for TEs 4 and 5 and eso for not wanting it in as a developer. But from a lore perspective I was looking for an answer. I’m just going to chuck it up as magic was in its infant stages at this time and leave it at that.

    There are many things like rune stones non existent in the main series / way shrines are all gone except the falmer ones in Skyrim. Where did both things all go they all went away ?

    Having lore reasons just makes the world seem more realistic.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I always assumed "not invented yet".

    By TES 4, it was apparently banned in Tamriel ... to cover the removal due to separate zone instances for cities.



    The funny thing about the "ban" is that the Levitation act never says what it is only that one person lost their passion for magic due to the Levitation act. TES4 never actually says what it does

    I think we can just assume it means levitating as a spell is banned in Tamriel. The one “elevator” levitation in the Dragonborn Dlc is prob not included becuase it’s not a free floating spell but utilized more the way an elevator is used.
Sign In or Register to comment.