Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Thoughts on new Player Races, and why or why not lore-wise, and what features they may have if added

KaironBlackbard
I have thought of many, but I'm stuck on Faun right now.
I have also thought of Greivous Twilight and Minotaur.
I think I've thought of others but they aren't coming to mind right now.
  • Faun
    • Is a normal Race
    • Is Intelligent
    • Has hands for wielding Weapons
    • Might be able to speak
    • BUT
    • Don't speak common, Or can't
    • Might be able to understand common, but unable to speak it?
    • Have hooves for feet
    • Antlers aren't a problem as Wood Elves and Argonians have (or can have) similar features
  • Faun Player Stats, or theories
    • Speed Based (movespeed, sprintspeed, cheaper sprint)
    • Stamina Based
    • Cheaper Dodge and cheaper stamina also
    • Bonus to Medium Armor
    • Excellent/Best without armor
  • Grievous Twilight
    • Positives
      • Humanoid in form, with wings additional
    • Negatives
      • Controlled by a Deadric Prince, normally
      • Rectifications
        • Control by Meridia or other Good Deadric Prince
        • Be one of the Independent Deadra, like the Arcanist Expansion but not related to that team, Independent, and as Player it sides with the common folk and becomes their hero
      • In being Deadra, many civilians won't want to talk to them, and guards may attack them on sight
  • Grievous Twilight Player Stats possibilities/thoughts
    • Gliding or heavily reduced fall speed and fall damage
    • Magicka Based, for teleporting and magic casting, would make a great nightblade or mag-sorcerer
    • bonus to melee or unarmed damage due to claws and brute strength?
  • Minotaur
    • Pros
      • Is a Race, not a summon or magic creation
      • Has a full blown society structure
    • Cons
      • Do they speak common? Can they speak common?
      • How would a guard react to them in the city?
  • Minotaur Player Stats
    • Stamina Based, with a hint of Magic
    • Strong Melee, Decent Magic
    • Good with two-handed

Comparisons? Thoughts? Come up with anything on your own?
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    I would play a Faun character -a warden with a Spriggan companion that can summon bears:) - I don't believe though that they are seen outside of Galen - BUT for a choice of a new race, I would choose a Spriggan for this - or even as a new Companion - I believe they would fit in from their lore

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Spriggan
    Edited by Eporem on February 7, 2023 6:01PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these would make excellent Polymorphs, similar to the Xivkyn or the Clockwork constructs.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd be awesome. I've seen calls for Maormer and Dremora as well. Some things polymorphs just can't cover. I doubt we will ever see another race (or furstock for Khajiit) though.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game mechanics require playable races to use the same collection of equipment. There is accommodation for Khajiit and Argonian head shapes, so a playable race with another head would be possible, but I am sure that would be a negative factor in any decision.

Maormer would make sense if Pyandonia became an expansion zone, otherwise they are better as outsiders. I imagine that is why Imperials were not initially playable. Dremora, Aureal, Mazken are more likely, given that we have Fargrave, the Deadlands, and various excursions into Sheo’s realm through the Mages Guild, and they don’t just appear as unwelcome intruders in Tamriel. Whether that adds up to the same level of belonging that Imperials can claim, is debatable.
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that honestly we should have more races to play from as this is a spin-off and not a main series Bethesda game, so why not have more races? Other spin-offs have had less races to choose from, like Battlespire had 6 to choose from with no beast races, the Travels series (Shadowkey, Dawnstar, and Stormhold) all had 8 races despite coming out after Morrowind which introduced the Imperials and Orcs.

As long as these new races have the model to match the current in-game models, It'd be fine with me. the Maormer and Naga, could be added in with a new Mercenary faction with their own storyline that gives them a reason to be in the other zones, like maybe someone (a powerful wizard or a Prince) uses magic on them to appear as not that race in order to speak to the regular mortals so they don't get scared or bothered by a Maormer on Auridon/Summerset.

Another plantigrade furstock could also work like the huge Pahmar, human-like Ohmes, or tiny Dagi forms.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More Polymorphs/cosmetic work arounds is the realistic option, as much as it hurts the wallet. The game is pretty set in its formulas for how these systems are build and its too much work for to little gain so they wont be changing them any time soon.
    [SNIP]
    Edited by ZOS_Suserial on February 8, 2023 11:17PM
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • KaironBlackbard
    I did think of a few Dremora player races ideas myself, long ago... I think I still have those lying around somewhere...
    Also mate, please don't be hateful towards others in this discussion.

As for companions, Mohair (faun male) is the companion of Wood Elf Druid "Edaen" - Faun's Thicket Quest "Fauns in Peril"
    I wonder if we'll ever see them again...
    Anyways, due to Mohair I find it reasonable that we could at least get Fauns as companions, even if we can't understand them. I do have some Ideas to rectify that, such as a Guild Skill-line for Druid of Galen with a main perk that allows you to talk to Fauns, and maybe even animals and plants, as across Galen you see Druids talking with Fauns (Edaen) or Druids talking to squirrels (random encounter) (Druid Erold).

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Mohair
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Druid_Erold
  • KaironBlackbard
    Now, I did make this thought, possible Faun Racial Stats.

Possibilities for Perks
    • Given (base) Ideas
      • Can speak with animals naturally, or at least Fauns
      • Can Speak common to allow them to speak to everyone else
      • Weapon or Armor Perk: Medium, Dual, uh..., more likely medium armor as their +15%XP perk
      • Part 2: probably the chatting perk
      • maybe even some Faun see as neutral instead of as enemy, they are Fauns after all
    • Perk 1-3
      • Like a cross between wood elf (primarily) and Orc Speed
      • Things like
        • cheaper dodging
        • more speed/ cheaper sprint and faster sprint
        • stamina perks: cheaper, more, faster regen
        • etc
    • Based off "Perk 1-3"
      • Perk 1
        • cheaper dodging
          • by up to 6%, 7%, or 10%/12%
            • based off Imperial's "Red Diamond"
            • based off Breton's "Magicka Mastery"
            • based off Orc's "Swift Warrior"
      • Perk 2
        • more movement speed
          • by up to 5%
            • based off Wood Elf's "Hunter's Eye"
        • cheaper sprint
          • by up to 12%
            • Based off Orc's "Swift Warrior"
        • faster sprint bonus
          • by up to 10%
            • Based off Orc's "Swift Warrior"
      • Perk 3
        • Max Stamina
          • by up to 2000
            • based off Wood Elf's "Hunter's Eye"
        • Stamina Regeneration
          • by up to 258
            • Based off Wood Elf's "Resist Affliction"
        • Cheaper Stamina Costs
          • by up to 7%
            • based off Breton's "Magicka Mastery"

I used eso-hub.com for the numbers.
  • KaironBlackbard
    Given means the perk that you don't put any skillpoints into
  • Soraka
    Soraka
    ✭✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    More Polymorphs/cosmetic work arounds is the realistic option, as much as it hurts the wallet. The game is pretty set in its formulas for how these systems are build and its too much work for to little gain so they wont be changing them any time soon.
    Your deeply hidden Faun fantasy of wearing pink wormcult robes and a wizard hat is an implausible dream and nothing more. :cry:

I would love to see more polymorphs.
  • KaironBlackbard
    @Eporem did you see comment #9? What do you think of it?
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soraka wrote: »
    sharquez wrote: »
    Your deeply hidden Faun fantasy of wearing pink wormcult robes and a wizard hat is an implausible dream and nothing more. :cry:

I would love to see more polymorphs.

Me too. The spriggan ones are awesome,
    Im not sure if the goblin one is allowed outside the quest anymore but it was always fun seeing them around.
    And when the crown store bug to play (client side visual) as a pet was hilarious and I enjoyed it.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The issues I have with new races is:

1) Why would the race disappear from cities/provinces in the later stand alone games.

2) AND any new race could become emperor. For example, having a minotaur as emperor would be a big deal. That would not be forgotten, even if in 100 years no one believed it, there would still be that "legend" of the minotaur emperor.

Look I get that people are getting bored of the base 10 races, but using the tools we have and a little inginuity we can create many of the "non playable" races.

There is a thread here devoted to it here;

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/565915/show-off-your-non-playable-races#latest

Create a non-playable race and have fun AND lore will not be broken!
    Edited by BlueRaven on February 11, 2023 1:25PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    I think it'd be awesome. I've seen calls for Maormer and Dremora as well. Some things polymorphs just can't cover. I doubt we will ever see another race (or furstock for Khajiit) though.

I made a maomer AND a dwemer.

kyjziplqre76.png

My maomer exile.

u9ov94dl5heg.png

My "time lost" dwemer.

I linked a thread above, you should look at it for ideas. That Falmer one in there is AMAZING!
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    @Eporem did you see comment #9? What do you think of it?

These are good ideas @KaironBlackbard for when A Faun race or a Companion of this race ever comes to be. As others have mentioned a Polymorph would be a good way to play a Faun character as well, mirroring a bit the skills of the different Fauns we already see in Galen using - the Warders who seem to be able to cast shields and summon nature creatures to aid them, the Tricksters who can duplicate themselves and teleport forward - the Brutes who use their strength of hooves and antlers in battle and the Thorncasters who I think can immobilize - a guild could even be created of Fauns since they are Herd creatures and a language created as well.
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    The issues I have with new races is:

1) Why would the race disappear from cities/provinces in the later stand alone games.

Because public perception of them changes? Or some kind of catastrophe befalls them?
    Already canonically happened to Minotaurs, once the pride of the Alessian Empire, now considered mere beasts.
    The highly sophisticated Snow Elves degraded into nightmarish legends.
    Dwemer zero summed themselves, never to be seen again.
    Kothringi, Lilmothiit and many other races just died out.
    Orcs are called the Pariah folks for a reason, going through mass genocidal raids and periods of excessive hatred is like a regular tuesday night for them.
    Tsaesci went from hated enemy to trusted adviser to nonexistent.

Also, not actively portraying something doesn't equal with that thing not existing. Or are you suggesting that kids don't exist and tamrielic people emerge fully grown. Since there were no children in Morrowind and Oblivion. And ESO.
    2) AND any new race could become emperor. For example, having a minotaur as emperor would be a big deal. That would not be forgotten, even if in 100 years no one believed it, there would still be that "legend" of the minotaur emperor.
    I mean there is already a legend of a minotaur emperor. The second emperor of the first human empire was a minotaur. That's a fact.

That being said, there's like a new emperor every other day, at one point you just stop caring about the petty squabbles of minor warlords that think they can claim emperorship for owning a couple forts.
    But the thing I said about children also applies here. Just because it never been portrayed in a game doesn't automatically means that it couldn't have existed. It just wasn't relevant.
    Plus the entire thing can be handwaved by saying that the 'records got lost' and that legends aren't mainstream knowledge. A US citizen won't know about the folklore of some ghost haunting the bathroom of an asian high school, for example.

So anyway. The problem with introducing new races is not that it would break the lore of the mainline TES games, as the past is allowed to be different from the future; In fact the whole point of placing the game in the past is to show how much will have changed by the 4th era. If you are playing by 3rd/4th era politics and rules then you are squandering the massive potential of the setting.

No, the problem is that it would break ESO's own lore. At this point ESO already established how these races are perceived during the 2nd era, suddenly introducing a new one would clash with the content we already have. It's already kinda jarring to play AD questline as an argonian for example. Or doing vampire quests as a vampire. Like Rivenspire is so aggravating to play when you are one. It would be that, just amped up.
    Edited by phantasmalD on February 15, 2023 9:17PM
  • LassyOfBurgundia
    Since we know that some Falmer/Snow Elves made it well into the Fourth Era, they could be an option ? I'm thinking magical capabilities as well as some hardiness and frost resistance.

Or perhaps instead Reachmen could be an option, if Falmer couldn't be reconciled with lore (in spite of the aforementioned clusters of Snow Elves surviving into the Fourth Era).

Perhaps one of the Akaviri races ?
    Maybe the Kamal "snow demons" or the Tang Mo "monkey folk" or even the Tsaesci "vampiric serpent folk" aren't meant to be literal physical descriptions but rather the perception of the other Akaviri or Tamrielic people ? Even if they are, snow demons or monkey folk could be anthropomorphic and thus compatible with the existing ESO body, the Tsaesci one can encounter in ESO also look humanoid so it could work.
    Also, this could potentially mean an expansion into Akavir which I would be stoked about (although perhaps the beauty of Akavir lies in its mystery).

I get why you wouldn't add races that lore-wise are already extinct or otherwise shouldn't be there anymore, for example Ayleid and Dwemer would be very cool but would have to be retconned lore-wise.

On a personal note I'd love to have more Khajiit furstock options as playable races but I understand the technical difficulties they may entail (not just in getting them to work, but making their passives similar but distinct enough from the "standard" Khajiit to validate them as a separate race - same can be said for Naga and Argonians).

Perhaps we simply shouldn't be messing with races at all, and just stick to the 10 base races and whatever cool characters we can make with those (something along the lines of "yeah I know my toon is technically an Altmer, but his mother was a Snow Elf and he's inherited her icy beauty and magical prowess" because to me that's also what RP'ing is about). Leave the extra races to heavily modded versions of TESV (or perhaps some day in the next three decades TESVI) and enjoy the many visual options in ESO.
    • Armagne | Breton | Main | Magicka Arcanist
    • Dar'Krin of Riverhold | Khajiit | Crafter | Nightblade
    Material guardians: M'Risha the Alcookmist | La Pie Enchanteresse | Watches-the-Traits | Urag Traitholder | Lymdrenn Stylewarden
  • KaironBlackbard
    I got the impression ESO took place after Oblivion or something. After the Oblivion Emperor had died, yet he was still alive in the beginning of Oblivion.
    Look at the map differences and there are many, hill where there are none (Oblivion to ESO), Ruins where there are none (ESO to Oblivion), etc
    Plus, a portion of ESO lore is time is unfolding in a cross-spiral during the time. Summerset takes place after the main questline yet it can be done before it. Through this, I believe there can also be a rise and fall of other races who's lore could then be misplaced, lost, or written and then unwritten due to the error in the time flow.
    I don't like polymorphs. Just knowing that Dremora polymorphs exist makes me shiver. I feel there are supposed to be reactions to races, such as what might Lyranith say if the player character was a Dremora and not a mortal? What would others think of Faun and Minotaurs at the time, which also would Not be represented by polymorphs.
    Druids would love Faun, as seen with the intro quest to Faun's Thicket in Galen.
    Through High Isle and Galen, a rise for the Faun, possibly a school for them added, taught by druids, so they can learn common and be able to communicate through common means instead of only with druids.
    For Minotaur, and expansion somewhere, probably around the Gold Coast, where we can see a Minotaur town, but only Minotaur players can access freely, and non-minotaur must complete a questline to gain access. Minotaur players could also play the questline as well. Questline deal with helping the Minotaur on things outside the town to gain trust, then gain access to help inside the town. With the legend of a Minotaur Emperor, it's not far-fetched.
    Again, there are many aspects that make me think ESO takes place After all the stand-alones, which grants a lot of leeway for many extra additions, like more races and legends.
    One thing polymorphs Don't do: give people reactions based on what you are polymorphed as, such as Miri to goblin you, or others to Dremora you. They all treat you as your base unpolymorphed self. That's my issue with polymorphs.
    That's why I want more races. Pick an outlier race and watch those extra reaction roll out. Disbelief, hate, accosting, wonder, excitement, etc.
    As an added or extra feature with outlier races, reputations with cities. Help cities with daily quests to gain good reputation. Get caught stealing or murdering and not only get a bounty on you, but lose reputation as well. Not only have heroic comments about you, but villainous ones as well with bad reputation. Possibly even get banned from cities, and have to use the Outlaw's Refuge as entry and exit, and stealth to reach the quest boards so you can raise reputation with them to get unbanned. Remarks about that as well from random people.
    As outliers, they might not be able to participate in Faction events, such as Cyrodiil and Imperial City, except for the neutral side of skyshard hunting and story questing. Unless they manage to get into the Factions. Would probably require Any Race, Any Alliance.
    As for Emperorship, new legends can arise and be lost, or just arise as I thought this was the latest time in Elder Scrolls lore basin. Occurring after all the stand-alones.
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m a daggerboomer and personally I think adding another race will sort of break the vibe of elder scrolls. These characters you speak off are basically enemies I wouldn’t want to play as them. Of course orcs we’re enemies in Daggerfall and became playable so that changed. But the lore has been so established since than I feel doing this would deviate too much from the main series and make it no longer feel like an elder scrolls game.
    Edited by isadoraisacat on April 13, 2023 3:42PM
  • isadoraisacat
    isadoraisacat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the impression ESO took place after Oblivion or something. After the Oblivion Emperor had died, yet he was still alive in the beginning of Oblivion.
    Look at the map differences and there are many, hill where there are none (Oblivion to ESO), Ruins where there are none (ESO to Oblivion), etc
    Plus, a portion of ESO lore is time is unfolding in a cross-spiral during the time. Summerset takes place after the main questline yet it can be done before it. Through this, I believe there can also be a rise and fall of other races who's lore could then be misplaced, lost, or written and then unwritten due to the error in the time flow.
    I don't like polymorphs. Just knowing that Dremora polymorphs exist makes me shiver. I feel there are supposed to be reactions to races, such as what might Lyranith say if the player character was a Dremora and not a mortal? What would others think of Faun and Minotaurs at the time, which also would Not be represented by polymorphs.
    Druids would love Faun, as seen with the intro quest to Faun's Thicket in Galen.
    Through High Isle and Galen, a rise for the Faun, possibly a school for them added, taught by druids, so they can learn common and be able to communicate through common means instead of only with druids.
    For Minotaur, and expansion somewhere, probably around the Gold Coast, where we can see a Minotaur town, but only Minotaur players can access freely, and non-minotaur must complete a questline to gain access. Minotaur players could also play the questline as well. Questline deal with helping the Minotaur on things outside the town to gain trust, then gain access to help inside the town. With the legend of a Minotaur Emperor, it's not far-fetched.
    Again, there are many aspects that make me think ESO takes place After all the stand-alones, which grants a lot of leeway for many extra additions, like more races and legends.
    One thing polymorphs Don't do: give people reactions based on what you are polymorphed as, such as Miri to goblin you, or others to Dremora you. They all treat you as your base unpolymorphed self. That's my issue with polymorphs.
    That's why I want more races. Pick an outlier race and watch those extra reaction roll out. Disbelief, hate, accosting, wonder, excitement, etc.
    As an added or extra feature with outlier races, reputations with cities. Help cities with daily quests to gain good reputation. Get caught stealing or murdering and not only get a bounty on you, but lose reputation as well. Not only have heroic comments about you, but villainous ones as well with bad reputation. Possibly even get banned from cities, and have to use the Outlaw's Refuge as entry and exit, and stealth to reach the quest boards so you can raise reputation with them to get unbanned. Remarks about that as well from random people.
    As outliers, they might not be able to participate in Faction events, such as Cyrodiil and Imperial City, except for the neutral side of skyshard hunting and story questing. Unless they manage to get into the Factions. Would probably require Any Race, Any Alliance.
    As for Emperorship, new legends can arise and be lost, or just arise as I thought this was the latest time in Elder Scrolls lore basin. Occurring after all the stand-alones.

Eso takes place before oblivion and before all the games in the numbered series. The only game that takes place around a similar time is adventures Redguard.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Bethesda can do it if they like. Could even back engineer the new races into old games by expansions or add ons to reinvigorate or resell them (yay Skyrim again) so you can have quests, lore and the races integrated into them.
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    My main problem with there being more races than what we have is that it would make it appear in game as though these other races are much more commonplace than they actually are...

Ignoring the beasts that don't even speak which to me are self explanatory (minotaur and ogres) and going to the actual speaking races such as Sload, which would be hilarious to see lol, or the Imga, or races so rare that they're either extinct and nonexistant, Dwemer, or just simply not seen around anymore as they may be in hiding, such as the Ayleids (a book or two suggested some may still be around, and the snow elves we know of only because Dawnguard)..... you're really not left with much of anything.

Daedra aren't a race of mortals and it'd be odd to see them everywhere in tamriel. Fargrave and other realms outside of tamriel sure but thats it. Sea Elves once in a blue moon ok but again not everywhere on the mainland.

These races would lose a lot of what makes them cool by suddenly being so commonplace as well due to MMO ness. Its the same reason why I'm not crazy about these "Arcanists". Now suddenly there'll be a bunch of Herma Mora worshippers everywhere and it really won't make much of any sense. Not that all the classes did necessarily by their loose lore descriptions but none will be so out of place as this. Another topic entirely but you get the idea. Sea Elves for instance, in the pact will be just as odd and strange as dragon knights in the Dominion.

That's just one example I can think of.

I would rather they work to making the races we have more diverse than to add more in the soup of sameness we have atm.
    Edited by BardokRedSnow on April 14, 2023 2:29PM
  • BardokRedSnow
    BardokRedSnow
    ✭✭✭
    TLDR: We have 10 races, and these races represent those who have conquered and established themselves as the prevalent races of Tamriel. The rest are rare or gone for a reason. Introducing more suddenly would make no sense tbh even though some might consider it fun to play as something else.

As someone said earlier though, they could introduce polymorphs for these other races, they already have daedric polymorphs.
  • zombniac
    zombniac
    ✭✭✭
    The most likely and realistic new race would have to be Maormer. And I think that a Maormer chapter where you travel to Pyandonea, paired with playable Maormer, would be awesome.

Also this is a screenshot I took the other day of a bunch of Altmer character made to look similar to Maormer. There's a lot of us!

afqfah8v3ruy.png
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    zombniac wrote: »

Also this is a screenshot I took the other day of a bunch of Altmer character made to look similar to Maormer. There's a lot of us!

afqfah8v3ruy.png

This comes which I think many Maormer players now might like..

https://www.thegamer.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-necrom-chapter-moving-ship-player-home/

and nice that you can rename it...

Edited by Eporem on May 16, 2023 12:20AM
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting to be an Alfiq.
  • KaironBlackbard
    My main problem with there being more races than what we have is that it would make it appear in game as though these other races are much more commonplace than they actually are...

Ignoring the beasts that don't even speak which to me are self explanatory (minotaur and ogres) and going to the actual speaking races such as Sload, which would be hilarious to see lol, or the Imga, or races so rare that they're either extinct and nonexistant, Dwemer, or just simply not seen around anymore as they may be in hiding, such as the Ayleids (a book or two suggested some may still be around, and the snow elves we know of only because Dawnguard)..... you're really not left with much of anything.

Daedra aren't a race of mortals and it'd be odd to see them everywhere in tamriel. Fargrave and other realms outside of tamriel sure but that's it. Sea Elves once in a blue moon ok but again not everywhere on the mainland.

These races would lose a lot of what makes them cool by suddenly being so commonplace as well due to MMO ness. Its the same reason why I'm not crazy about these "Arcanists". Now suddenly there'll be a bunch of Herma Mora worshippers everywhere and it really won't make much of any sense. Not that all the classes did necessarily by their loose lore descriptions but none will be so out of place as this. Another topic entirely but you get the idea. Sea Elves for instance, in the pact will be just as odd and strange as dragon knights in the Dominion.

That's just one example I can think of.

I would rather they work to making the races we have more diverse than to add more in the soup of sameness we have atm.

More Specifically:
    Daedra aren't a race of mortals and it'd be odd to see them everywhere in tamriel. Fargrave and other realms outside of tamriel sure but that's it. Sea Elves once in a blue moon ok but again not everywhere on the mainland.

Issue: Polymorph or Race, they look the same. In some places I've been to it looks as if the place is crowded with Dremora, yet the guards aren't making any comments or hostilities towards them. This is due to current Polymorph setup.
    I'd think that Guards would watch Dremora closely or chase them out of the city.
    With Dremora as a race that would be possible.
    Then you'd have less Dremora in the city because people are being kicked out for being Dremora instead of interacting seamlessly because their an elf or something in a Dremora Polymorph.

In case I wasn't clear: Dremora Race would have proper reactions from people, whereas Polymorphs treat them as their non-polymorphed selves while players see them as the polymorphed version.
    Thus I despise Polymorphs because NPC reactions aren't changed or altered by your Polymorphed appearance. You can look like the most hated creature in existence and none will be any the wiser about it.
    As a race they would react properly and it would add extra challenge to those playing outlandish races.

Add race, not polymorph. You'll have less people as those characters and NPCs would react properly to them.
    Now if tons do play the race, they're up for more difficulty because NPC reactions may make it difficult for them to do what normal races do, such as reactions to T4 Vampires and Fugitives, but not necessarily as harsh all the time.
    For some, like Dremora, it would also be a good opportunity to implement a City Reputation system kind of like Skyrim has.
  • KaironBlackbard
    Races I'd love to see, with possible reactions.
    • Sea Elf
      • Coastal Areas
        • Passing By
          • "A Sea Elf! Attack!" (hostility)
          • "What's a Sea Elf doing here?" (suspicion)
          • "Oh no! A Sea Elf!" (fear)
          • {glancing looks} (wonder/curiosity/suspicion)
          • {Meh} (no reaction)
        • Interaction
          • Intrigue/Curiosity
          • Fear
          • Repulsion "Get Away from me!"
          • Meh/Don't Care about the fact there's a Sea Elf there.
      • Mainland
        • Mostly wonder and curiosity. Ones that know what a Sea Elf is might eye with suspicion or attack.
    • Minotaur
      • Passing By
        • "What is that?" (don't know what a Minotaur is)
        • "Oh no! A Minotaur!" (fear)
        • "What's a Minotaur doing in the city?" (curiosity/suspicion)
      • Interaction
        • "Get away from me!" (repulsion)
        • "Oh no! A Minotaur!" (fear)
        • "What can I do for you?" (none the wiser / doesn't care)
    • Dremora
      • Met with hostility
      • Met with suspicion
      • Met with Fear
      • Met with Ignorance
      • Met with wonder/curiosity by people clueless as to what they are, such as children
      • Mostly met with fear
      • Guard tend to watch them, making stealthy things a bit more difficult. Also getting them caught more often.
      • Lyranith would treat them differently and not call them mortal, unless the lore for player Dremora includes they were stripped of their immortality and made mortal.
    • Faun
      • NPC Reactions
        • Druids, mostly on High Isle and Galen
          • Wonder
          • Excitement
          • Curiosity
          • Ignorance
        • Cityfolk
          • Wonder
          • Curiosity
          • Fear (If know or heard of attacks)
        • Other Faun (High Isle and Galen only, as Faun aren't anywhere else) (applies to Faun outside of High Isle and Galen if they exist outside said places)
          • Peaceful
            • Possibility of Chat, Possibility of a special effect and allowance to hear in English instead of in Grunts when chatting this way.
          • Normally Hostile
            • Chance of Neutrality, chance of chatting with neutral
            • Chance of neutrality, but no chat
            • Chance of hostility
            • Chance of Quest Giver Faun (random encounter)
              • Rescue animals from poachers
              • Fight Bandits
              • Rescue Faun
              • Kill Wolves
              • Aid the Forest
              • Aid the spirits of the Forest
      • Add lore about the gendering of Faun, all Male or do Females exist? What's the rarity? How do they look? Do we see them in game and they look exactly like the males? If so why is there no difference?
    • Other Races Later

Getting Long, just gonna post and do the others later, probably not today though.
  • KaironBlackbard
    I forgot Guard Responses, don't got time to type that right now.
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't foresee ZOS adding a new playable race, I would definitely enjoy it if they did. As someone who frequently roleplays as nonplayable races, I have some thoughts on this issue.

* Polymorphs -

While polymorphs are an easy way to let players pretend to be another race, they don't allow for any visual customization other than the polymorph itself. They can't wear costumes or outfit styles, use hairstyles or tattoo cosmetics, or have their features (eye shape, body weight, etc.) adjusted to fit the player's vision. Assuming we don't get a new playable race, I'd much prefer ZOS provide us with a wider variety of cosmetic items for creating other races than just slap a polymorph down.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/565915/show-off-your-non-playable-races
    Again, the link above gives examples of players' ingenuity using cosmetics and styles to create Dwemer, Daedra, Sea Elves, Falmer, Ayleids, etc. I love the variety present. If ZOS continues adding cosmetics that support this kind of creativity (as well more character slots), I might be satisfied with this method.

* Lore Continuity -

I love the lore in this universe, and I don't like to ruin continuity. However, the devs frequently introduce new lore that counters previous assumptions and statements. The reliable narrator helps them to not be restrained in this regard. I can always think of a reason my lone whatever-race character survived and is adventuring despite what in-game sources say about her race being extinct.

Would it break the lore to have a lot of Daedra/Maormer/whatever running around Tamriel at the same time?
    I don't think it would hurt any more than seeing crazy mounts and skins and polymorphs running around all the time. In an MMO, there is a level of suspension of disbelief that has to happen. As much as I love immersion, I know I'm playing an online game, and I have to ignore certain things to be immersed.

Would it break the lore to have a lot of Daedra/Maormer/whatever running around Tamriel in the 2nd era and then not in the 3rd and 4th eras?
    I think certain races would definitely be more lore-friendly than others. We have Daedra and Maormer NPCs, for example, running around and interacting with players now, and some of them are even friendly or neutral. As was posted above by phantasmalD, we already have many examples in the lore of races disappearing, so I don't think ZOS would have trouble coming up with a reason they aren't present in large numbers later in history. The Maormer could have been ordered to retreat by their king and the remnants been driven out or killed by prejudice. The Daedra could be forced to leave after the Planemeld ends and the Empire is re-established. These are off the top of my head, so I'm sure the writers could come up with something.

* NPC Reactions -

It would definitely be nice if ZOS added NPC reactions to your character's race if you were playing something unusual. I just finished playing through High Isle and Galen with my "Maormer" (High Elf) character Katlornum, and some of the character comments were hard to ignore.

They were either unintentionally apt...
    Marelle Fredette in The Jaded Ornaug Tavern: "Now, I don't know the first thing about Sea Elves or Dreadsails or what have you. What I do know is how to kick back and enjoy a brew. You should try it."
    Katlornum: "Thanks. You know, we Sea Elves enjoy a good brew just like anyone else."

Or they were awkward and offensive...
    Captain Jimila: "Well, we can't just barge in. We're not blue enough or ugly enough to pass for Sea Elves, so disguise isn't an option."
    Katlornum: "Um, you do see me standing here, right?"

Or sometimes both...
    Juline Courcelles: "And make sure you post those handbills where the Sea Elves can see them! Sea Elves can read, right? Oh, no. Is it rude of me to even ask?"
    Katlornum: "Yeah, kind of. And we can definitely read! Well...with the exception of this one cousin of mine."

In fact, it would be nice if ZOS added more race-based NPC reactions to characters for races that are already playable. There are already plenty of places in the game where NPCs could get additional immersive dialogue instead of assuming our characters are outsiders. They do add some reactions to new content for players who interacted with certain recurring NPCs in previous content, but they don't (to my knowledge) usually go back and add reactions to the previous content in case a player plays out of order. If I play the expansions out of order, I run into plenty of reaction problems. Not to mention, if I'm the savior of all these NPCs and locations in Tamriel, why do I have companions and other grouped players at times who are never mentioned by NPCs? They act like I did all those heroics by myself.

Again, there's a level of suspension of disbelief I know I have to have when playing an MMO regardless, and I'm used to making things work in my head.

* Practical Constraints -

I think the most likely reason ZOS won't add a new playable character is because of practical constraints such as server strain or labor costs. If they ever did add another race, it would certainly be one with a humanoid (mernoid?) model to reduce the work of fitting all the existing cosmetics, outfit styles, etc. as well as animations like emotes and riding mounts to the new player characters. Khajiit furstocks of different sizes might be somewhere in between on the spectrum of difficulty. I definitely don't see them adding furstocks with digitigrade feet, which is one reason I don't imagine they will add fauns.

To sum up, as much as I'd love a new playable, I don't think it will happen. If it does, it will likely be something that is humanoid and fits the lore to some degree. In the meantime, I am okay with continuing to customize characters (beyond polymorphs) and roleplay them as other races even though I have to wink a lot at NPC comments.
    Edited by Kallykat on July 7, 2023 9:42PM