The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar jabs

Seewul
Seewul
✭✭✭
did we ever get any response from zos to revisit or anything to the disappointment that u35 did to our loved play style.
i myself didnt play much on that style and just dont wanna come back because of this change and the fact no other char/class
feels cool in memories atm.
Edited by ZOS_Volpe on March 1, 2023 1:24PM
  • Stanx
    Stanx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update 37 has been announced which is directly referencing / "improving" update 35 and there's no mention of changing the templar jabs animation or reversing other changes to the class. At this point it's not looking likely. It's a shame because these changes seem to have actually killed the class for a lot of people that had a templar as their main.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped playing Templar and went to Necromancer because of this change. I still see tons of Templars in open world, so for a lot of players it hasn't effected their desire to play the class... it did me, however. That, and I think I just got really really bored playing Templar (most of my alts are Templars) and found Necromancer plays somewhat similar and is actually a lot of fun. Perhaps after Arcanist comes out and eventually gets nerfed, they'll buff the other classes again to encourage players to create new alts.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There has never been a single response to the concerns over the new Jabs animation. Not even a "this is what we are sticking with so get over it" response which would have been preferable to silence.
  • TairenSoul
    TairenSoul
    ✭✭✭
    The jabs look even more "flailing" to me now! That shovel looks like it gets circled around the whole body! LOLOLOL Yep, I hate it.
    Heavy is the crown.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stanx wrote: »
    Update 37 has been announced which is directly referencing / "improving" update 35 and there's no mention of changing the templar jabs animation or reversing other changes to the class. At this point it's not looking likely. It's a shame because these changes seem to have actually killed the class for a lot of people that had a templar as their main.

It's certainly killed it for me and my friends.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new animation is not great. Worse is the skill not working half the time. Press the button and nothing happens.
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    The new animation is not great. Worse is the skill not working half the time. Press the button and nothing happens.

It almost seems like, while they removed the forth hit, it is still there as far as 'cooldown' is concerned; so the game thinks we're doing four hits when we're actually only doing three.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    My templar spends more time at the house then he used to. He and Bastian play Gwent a lot.
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dropped Templar, which I've mained since the game came out, for my Warden. I'm an animator, and the animation timing on the new jabs is terrible. The old one was great and was my favorite skill because of how it felt to use. They could have nerfed it into the ground, and I'd still have enjoyment from the skill despite that. But with the animation being changed to something that feels worse to use than Cliff Racer, I'd never play Templar again. I don't really see a reason to especially with the Empower change (I used to run a niche light attack build on templar, and even that's dead with U35). My favorite class no longer exists, since the way it felt to play no longer exists.

Skill revamps and reworks can be good, but generally, you'd want to A. revamp skills that players have a problem with, not skills that players universally love like this one, and B. actually give the skill a visual upgrade, not a visual downgrade.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I dropped playing Templar and went to Necromancer because of this change.

It actually very much saddens me since I was a Templar main for years, and now I can’t bare to log in anymore. Even decon’d some of their gear and moved some to others, so actually I have two templars that are literally unplayable at the moment …
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would probably say im not entirely happy with the animation, but my templar is still my best dps toon, and i didnt really have to change much of anything from the last 2 updates of changes (if anything im actually doing more dmg than pre-u35 lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took me doing a few world bosses to get used to the changes. Now I like the animation. Easier to see when stacked in a trial.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TairenSoul wrote: »
    The jabs look even more "flailing" to me now! That shovel looks like it gets circled around the whole body! LOLOLOL Yep, I hate it.

You put your shovel in, you put your shovel out
    You put your shovel in, and you shake it all about
    You do the Jabby Jabby and you flail it all around
    That’s what it’s all about.

Edited by Jaraal on February 3, 2023 1:37AM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Ariordin
    Ariordin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the most likely chance we have for them to save Jabs animation (and maybe its damage is the next time they do a combat overhaul. U37 feels like on that front so there is still a LITTLE hope.

But i think they are hoping to wait us out and resign ourselves to templars fate.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blazing spear is the new spammable B)
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS made these changes to Templar right after I had deleted 5 of my max level alts I never played to make new Templars. I knew I liked Templars and I’d play all of them, at least occasionally for dailies or whatnot.

So now at least half (maybe more) of my 18 characters are max level Templars. And now I feel depressed about it.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They need to go back and actually update ALL the spear skill animations with a proper sun magic / holy spear unique model. Not some translucent *** colored staff motif model.

The current animation is putrid and I really wish we could at least get the old one back.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently my stamplar became my main, most efficient class, works great with jabs. Can't see anything wrong with this skill or it's animation.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vast majority of Templars despise the animation change. Not to mention that Templars have been nerfed into oblivion in end game PVE and PVP. Why won’t devs acknowledge this?
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @xthrshx people don't like admitting mistakes and, when it comes to ESO, the devs typically do not like to roll back changes they have made. Even if those changes were bad.

The animation change for flurry killed stamina builds for me and the jabs change killed templar. The death of the no pet playstyle killed magsorc and necromancer has slowly been sinking further into a pit ever since release.
    The ice staff and passive changes killed my bosmer druid and now, I have run out of classes I want to play.

I am now in a strange position where I REALLY want to play ESO, but all the classes and playstyles I enjoyed have been murdered in a variety of colorful ways.

I used to love the old jabs, because it looked cool with a staff or a greatsword. It looked like you were attacking with your weapon shrouded in light. Such a seemingly simple change completely destroyed Templar for me.
    It is a similar story for the other things I mentioned and that is without even mentioning how much Templar has been nerfed in general.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Recently my stamplar became my main, most efficient class, works great with jabs. Can't see anything wrong with this skill or it's animation.

I recognize that some players are okay with the new animation. But when a poll was done on these forums, over 70% voted to return the original animation. But if that's not enough incentive, ask around to players about how they feel about the new animation. Most of the players I know have answered that they hate the new animation with a passion. And the few that don't have never said they love the new animation. They say they are just okay with it.
  • Captain_Devildog
    Captain_Devildog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I try to fight this problem with ZOS.. I used to buy crowns every month to support the game.. never buy them anymore because of this change.. we should keep making these threads every month so they can hear us. Mygod i miss the Jabs abimation the most fun gameplay for me in the game..
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played in quite a few months, but when I came back to the game the other week I was horrified at the changes to jabs & flurry as well. The anims look kind of .. limp and half hearted. I can't stand looking at it.

EU / NA / PC
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the change made just to accommodate one less jab? Could that not have been done with the same look? I agree the new animation is embarrassing to look at needs to be revised. The skill function , for me , seems to be fine.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    BlueViolet wrote: »
    I haven't played in quite a few months, but when I came back to the game the other week I was horrified at the changes to jabs & flurry as well. The anims look kind of .. limp and half hearted. I can't stand looking at it.

Flurry looks like you doing a water dance or something with the enemy, lol. At least this next update, they’re syncing the sound more. How a new animation got released with sound not even in sync is kind of funny, lol.
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radio silence I'm afraid.

I've been trying to make it work post-update u35, but it's just not happening. I just don't see them going back on it though. Sucks 'cause even though I play each class, I wasn't nearly as comfortable with them as I was with my main. Now she's just another writ donkey.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Radio silence or not, we've got to keep trying to get a response. Templar mains deserve to enjoy their characters and the game and not look like fools doing it.
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • K9002
    K9002
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched to a heavy attack build and I'm not going to look back at any class or guild skills in foreseeable future. Why bother when a single tick of lightning staff's heavy attack deals more damage than fully charged Backlash or the gutted Jabs + gutted Burning Light together? The only skills I use anymore is Rune Focus for healing and Solar Barrage for Empower.
  • shinry
    shinry
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of us have been trying to get a response from ZOS on this and being completely ignored. I wish they would just rename the morphs Shoveling Jabs/Sweeps so I know we have officially been memed on and there is no hope for these changes to be revisited.
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »

Because it is recent for you so you don’t know how it was.
    The rest of 99% Templar players who have been maining it nearly a decade have huge issues with recycled asset animation along with not being dmg min max competitive anymore (magplar still is due to beamplar, but stamplar is once gain unwanted/subpar in hardest content).