The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP Targeting Help (stupid Dwarven Sphere)

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
So I ran into this impossible to kill player. My main issue is they had a Dwarven Sphere and all my ranged attack kept hitting it. My Lightning staff was almost completely ineffective and not sure how many of those <insert vulgarity> Spheres I killed. They would get low in HP, I'd fire Radiant Glory - hit the Sphere. By the time I hit the player, 100% healed.
Then there were two of trying to kill this <insert vulgarity> player at a resource with the guards on our side. This dood managed to kill them all and both of us....and barely got scratched.

I am pretty sure I would have had them had my ranged hit them, they would be deader faster...

So help on PvP combat 1v1 and how to target ranged abilities.
Is there a setting.
Or do I just suck?

Tanks,

Z
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahahahahahahaha. No, you don't suck, most people have this same problem. The answer is "tab targeting" but you're on PC I believe so someone else will have to tell you how.

It's honestly been a problem for a LONG time. If not engine guardians then sorc pets. What the game really needs to do is just make crap like this untargetable. For every sorc complaining "aw man the matriarch dies so easily," there's another player saying "well, I didn't WANT to hit your stupid matriarch."

I will say though if the guy took the resource AND killed you all then he was probably pretty good and deserves credit for that. But in the future you should try tab targeting the guy. You'll still have to aim, but if two targets are visually on top of each other then you'll hit the one you have tab targeted.

Also, a different form of advice, you can also bash the engine guardian to interrupt the resource return.

Considering the 1pc bonus is health recovery and you don't get to choose which of the 3 resources is returned to you at any given proc... It isn't even really a very good monster set. The problem you experienced happens to be the main reason people use it. So no, you are not alone.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am not sure what tab targeting is supposed to do. if the sphere is in the way, your highlight target is of no use, you hit the sphere.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tab targeting does nothing but highlight the enemy you want to target. It still wont stop the mile wide hitbox of DS or any other pet from taking priority,
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OBJnoob wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahaha. No, you don't suck, most people have this same problem. The answer is "tab targeting" but you're on PC I believe so someone else will have to tell you how.

It's honestly been a problem for a LONG time. If not engine guardians then sorc pets. What the game really needs to do is just make crap like this untargetable. For every sorc complaining "aw man the matriarch dies so easily," there's another player saying "well, I didn't WANT to hit your stupid matriarch."

I will say though if the guy took the resource AND killed you all then he was probably pretty good and deserves credit for that. But in the future you should try tab targeting the guy. You'll still have to aim, but if two targets are visually on top of each other then you'll hit the one you have tab targeted.

Also, a different form of advice, you can also bash the engine guardian to interrupt the resource return.

Considering the 1pc bonus is health recovery and you don't get to choose which of the 3 resources is returned to you at any given proc... It isn't even really a very good monster set. The problem you experienced happens to be the main reason people use it. So no, you are not alone.

Killing a sorc pet reduces the Sor health by 10%. If someone is already beating on the Sorc, killing the pet is a great way to help kill the sorc as they could lose 10% of their health and not realize it.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Killing a sorc pet reduces the Sor health by 10%. If someone is already beating on the Sorc, killing the pet is a great way to help kill the sorc as they could lose 10% of their health and not realize it.

Very cool, I hadn't really thought about that. I kill sorc pets when I can't kill the sorc otherwise... I always try to do it without killing the pet first though.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like at least tagging pets with something, so it puts plaguebreak on them, and then they just become walking bombs

the same can apply to the sphere, but the sphere despawning on its own does not trigger plague explode, it has to be killed
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bash the sphere. It will stop moving so you can get around it, and it will stop giving them resources
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on February 4, 2023 4:20AM
  • kurbbie_s
    kurbbie_s
    ✭✭✭
    sharquez wrote: »
    Tab targeting does nothing but highlight the enemy you want to target. It still wont stop the mile wide hitbox of DS or any other pet from taking priority,

actually yes it will. It will target the one you have tab targeted.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool, I hadn't really thought about that. I kill sorc pets when I can't kill the sorc otherwise... I always try to do it without killing the pet first though.

quite apart from the 10%, recasting has a cast time in which you can interrupt the sorc. If he notices that you have killed his pet, he will also recast the pet with top priority, otherwise he has 0 healing. if he does not notice, he will die quickly anyway.
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Luede Yes for sure. I know that. The last time the situation came up I was unable to interrupt the dang recast. It was kinda funny honestly-- you know how it's kinda hard to land melee light attacks in cyrodiil sometimes. Well I was chasing after this sorc spamming bash and just not hitting him, lol. Frustrating.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imo u cant interrupt if he was on stun immunity CD, maybe that was the Problem. But performance suck anyway
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good players are always moving, especially those with npc's that give them LOS. Tab targeting works but is a little awkward if you aren't accustomed to it.

In a BG this weekend I Leap/Whip combo'd the **** out of an Engine guardian proc. At least he wasn't get resources from it I guess lol.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tab by default on PC is what tab targets something.

All tab targeting does though is set the currently selected target as the priority and you still have to aim at the target.

For people with bad aim the tab targeting functionality in ESO is not as effective, but if you can keep your cursor on top of the white outline it helps a lot in ignoring pets. The attack still has to be in range though otherwise it'll go for the next closest thing it can.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tab targeting does nothing but highlight the enemy you want to target.

Focus Target, mistakenly referred to as "tab targeting" in ESO, is a game object state that does two things.
    • Draws a visual border highlight around a targetable game object
    • Makes your player target the focused entity when it's behind other targetable game objects
    In other words, "tab targeting" does not work like it does in other MMOs, namely World of Warcraft. Instead, it makes your player always target that player/npc even if something else is in front of it. This is how you attack players surrounded by pets, assuming you can initially focus them.
    PC NA
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bash the sphere. It will stop moving so you can get around it, and it will stop giving them resources

Yes this. Many players don't realize you can simply bash the sphere to stop the channel effect. I do this all the time as a healer in PvP. Just walk up and boop, monster set useless for them :smile:
    PC NA
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People who run Engine Guardian are 1/2 step above people who stay up in the base in BGs casting ranged garbage and never coming down.

Do they know this?
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Tab targeting does nothing but highlight the enemy you want to target.

Focus Target, mistakenly referred to as "tab targeting" in ESO, is a game object state that does two things.
    • Draws a visual border highlight around a targetable game object
    • Makes your player target the focused entity when it's behind other targetable game objects
    In other words, "tab targeting" does not work like it does in other MMOs, namely World of Warcraft. Instead, it makes your player always target that player/npc even if something else is in front of it. This is how you attack players surrounded by pets, assuming you can initially focus them.

I want to believe, but it has never done anything to increase my chances of hitting my highlighted target in my experience. I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to but wasn't working properly.

It's one thing to test it on two target dummies standing in front of one another, and a whole other thing with moving running shifting dodging players with summons and junk popping in and out of existence.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.