The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Switch @handle with character names?

reagen_lionel
reagen_lionel
✭✭✭✭
Is it possible for an addon to be created that switches people's @handle for thier character name in chat and lists (friends list/guild roster)?

I just cant stand it. Looking at all those @djljdkjd yapping away. And difficult to keep a single conversation as it is.

Im already against having @handles being shown as it is, but I want to at least be some compromise on that.
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Forget the mod, we need Zenimax to stop doing it all together. It is the most dangerous thing to our accounts right now. Zenimax not thinking and giving everyone half of what they need to hack you.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forget the mod, we need Zenimax to stop doing it all together. It is the most dangerous thing to our accounts right now. Zenimax not thinking and giving everyone half of what they need to hack you.

I fully agree with you. there are multiple reasons why I am against this. But Zenimax seems stubborn about these sort of things for I dont know why.

I made a large discussion about this issue in multiple betas.
  • slbrgt
    slbrgt
    ✭✭
    Same here, and agree with preceding posts
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it shouldn't list peoples account names like that. If anything we need to be able to select a nickname for our account name and have that shown instead to protect our accounts.
  • Jabbar
    Jabbar
    ✭✭
    Couldn't agree more, using the @handle and showing our character names might have some advantages but they in no way make up for the security risk or inconvenience they pose in many situations.
    Hunt in the dark.

www.AsylumNocturne.com
  • ThaPizza
    ThaPizza
    agree, this is absurd
  • blizpet_ESO
    blizpet_ESO
    ✭✭
    I agree. I left my guild because it was showing my account name to everyone. I predict that there are going to be a lot of hacked accounts (or maybe already since the gold spammers are out in full force). I put in a ticket to complain. If enough people put in complaints via a ticket they may do something.
  • Hieru
    Hieru
    ✭✭
    I see where Zenimax is going with the handle. You can contact someone no matter what character they are on, that is handy. I agree it would be nice to see character names in guild. I made my handle my main characters name since I knew it would display like that in guild.

Although the handles are easily seen, ESO has a password length up to 200 characters if you so desire. So take advantage of that if you are extremely worried of someone cracking your password.

For those that want to change your account name in case you didn't know it would be displayed in guild you can visit the below link for information on how to change your handle.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7236
    Acolytes Gaming Community
    Daggerfall Covenant ~~~ Visit our Website Today

• grimnitz
    grimnitz
    ✭✭
    agree. About to leave guilds and run anonymous.
  • shapelyzombie
    Hieru wrote: »

Although the handles are easily seen, ESO has a password length up to 200 characters if you so desire. So take advantage of that if you are extremely worried of someone cracking your password.

The problem is that many accounts are hacked via keyloggers. It doesn't matter how many characters you make your password if someone is recording every keystroke. With so many people looking to download mods, and so many mod-hosting sites run by gold sellers, you never know who or what to trust.

It is entirely possible to contact "Bob" while he is playing "Sally" just by typing to "Bob." This mechanic has been demonstrated in several other MMOs. It is completely unnecessary to display an account name. It's also problematic for people who may want to have a toon for socializing and a toon for a little quiet game time alone after work.

Just a few things for Zenimax to consider. As stated above, the spammers are already out in force.
    I wasn't an Elder Scrolls fan until ESO. I did like the Construction Set for Morrowind, though.
  • epoling
    epoling
    ✭✭✭✭
    In addition, I don't really want all my characters to default to showing up this way. When I play EQ2, I am a guild leader most of the time. When I need a break, I switch to a different toon who isn't in that guild and only a few people know her name. I get some anonymous time. With this set-up, everybody in every guild knows that I am on and can pester me if they want. No room for "me" time.
  • Skookum
    Skookum
    ✭✭
    I agree with this so much, looking for people in the guild roster is such a hassle, I don't want to remember two names for everybody!
    * [ The Obsidian Shield ] *

• Haboom
    Haboom
    ✭✭✭
    grimnitz wrote: »
    agree. About to leave guilds and run anonymous.

I have a spare tin foil hat if you need one. It also helps to stop those pesky brain probes....
    "Learn to dodge and block or you won't get healed" -Me
  • skeletorz_ESO
    skeletorz_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    1. Be careful of what you download and scan it with your anti-virus software before you install.
    2. Use a really long 200-ish character password
    3. You can set your current guild status to offline or invisible. You can get some me-time this way.

Any other questions?
    “If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.” -- René Descartes
  • Igolbug
    Igolbug
    ✭✭✭
    Having our account name displayed, I don't understand the thought process behind this at all.
    Igolbug
    V10 R20 Nightblade Ebonheart Pact
    WABBAJACK since day1!
  • Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it shouldn't list peoples account names like that. If anything we need to be able to select a nickname for our account name and have that shown instead to protect our accounts.

I suggested this during beta as well.
    I hope that something will be done not as addon but by Zenimax, not only because of guilds but especially for security.

Also a one time password device would be something good for future.

"... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Helluin wrote: »

I suggested this during beta as well.
    I hope that something will be done not as addon but by Zenimax, not only because of guilds but especially for security.

Also a one time password device would be something good for future.

I did as well. Gave rigourous feed back each time. And I still will be doing /feedback on it ingame.
  • slbrgt
    slbrgt
    ✭✭
    All advantage of having the account name displayed, no matter on which char you are, will still hold if we could at least have a nickname displayed instead.
  • DeevDarkheart
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68/

Point 1: Keep your login information secret.

Fail.

Seriously Zenimax, sort this stupid situation out. You've literally handed half of the required information to a would-be hacker. Use a Guild option to show owning character of alt characters if that's what you want.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've literally handed half of the required information to a would-be hacker.

You have no idea how frustrating it is to keep seeing this phrase over and over. It is gibberish.

I am really at a loss on how to calm the fears of the people in here over this issue. There really is no issue here related to security that can be fixed by hiding your account name.

When you hand out your email address, more likely than not you are giving out your email account name.

When you post on the forums here, you are giving out your forum account name. (oops)

We do it all the time, most times without even thinking about it.

The bottom line is that the password and user name form of authentication was designed from the ground up around the assumption that the user name is public knowledge. It is simply not possible to keep your user name more secure than a well thought out password.

The password is the one and only portion of your account information that secures your account. Period.

If you believe otherwise, for any reason, you are fooling yourself, possibly dangerously if this false sense of security leads you to create weaker passwords. Security through obscurity is no match for a strong password.

I just want to point out that security people have responded, sometimes repeatedly, in the forums, to no effect. Since most people know nothing about security, they tend to assume that a hacker is waiting to steal every account.

If you create passwords that are suitably complicated, don't store them where anyone can get to them, and keep your firewall, antivirus, and malware software up to date and in use, your computer security is adequate for playing Elder Scrolls Online securely. Deal with the stuff that you can control and you will be fine.

Honestly, public usernames are nothing to worry about. If you knew the security issues that keep me up at night, you would not even use the internet.

TL;DR: Create a strong password. Don't post it next to your computer. Worry about something else (like, what is it that keeps me up at night that you don't know about). :)
    Edited by Elsonso on April 6, 2014 3:53PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not too worried about having the @handle displayed, it was the same way in star trek online and I played that game for years (still do, actually) without ever having an issue. Just dont use a lazy password.

What bothers me more is the fact that I cant tell what -character- someone is on when talking to them in guild chat. Someone might be playing a character named "orcman dragonslayer" but all I see when they talk in guild chat is "@wannabashskulls" (made these up as an example, obviously). This makes it difficult to coordinate with guild members. Often when I get a group invite from a guild member I wont realize who it's coming from because the invite shows the character name and not the @handle.

In star trek online, the game would show both when you were speaking (and it showed both all the time - both in guild chat and in normal zone/local/trade chat when you used those). It would say something like "Orcman_dragonslayer@wannabashskulls". If that player was on another character, it'd show something like "Bretonman_dragonrider@wannabashskulls". This way you knew who the character was, and not just the account name.

At the same time, you could send mail, group invites, or whispers/private messages using just the @handle and the target player would receive said action regardless of what character they were playing. So, if you knew that the player was online but did not know what character they were playing at the time, you could just do "/whisper @wannabash skulls" and they would receive the message no matter what character they were on.

Zenimax was obviously going for some kind of similar functionality, but they really botched the delivery.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't the 1st game to use @handles nor will it be the last, its not risky at all to your account .....

Cant say I have ever been hacked
    Oh and if this is a security risk good luck finding my email and passwords and credit card details to change my account information.
    Edited by cubansyrusb16_ESO on April 6, 2014 5:52PM
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main concern is that its difficult for players to know you for your character, instead by your @handle . Essentially having to remember 2+ names for each character they make.

IN Neverwinter, the use of @handle is generaly hidden in chats and guild lists. enabled them through the options if you want them showing there. If you mouse over their names in chats it shows thier @handles.

the main point being it shows the character names first, and the @handle second.

Its made even worse when you're in multiple guilds, and everyone speaks and you dont know who the heck is who, and when you try to meet them, dont even know who they are cause you have no idea what character they are on or thier names in normal circumstances.

At the very least the character names should show over all else. For a company thats putting immersion over all else, this is pretty anti-immersive.
  • Sanspoof
    Sanspoof
    ✭✭✭
    I've gotten some friend invites which I have no idea who was it I was playing with that sent it because it's their just account and not character name that's displayed on the invite.
  • Vantor
    Vantor
    ✭✭✭
    I strongly agree with not displaying handle names (maybe except to ppl in your friendlist). For now i'm using Thurisaz Guild Info and it's quite convenient.
    Invictus EU Guild Officer
  • briank741
    briank741
    In Cryptic games, like Star Trek Online, use the @ handle name but the @handle name is not your log in account name it is a forum name that you use.

If someone says it is their account name, it is because they made their forum name and account name the same thing.
    Edited by briank741 on April 20, 2014 4:15PM
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    briank741 wrote: »
    In Cryptic games, like Star Trek Online, use the @ handle name but the @handle name is not your log in account name it is a forum name that you use.

If someone says it is their account name, it is because they made their forum name and account name the same thing.

even then, at least in Neverwinter. It shows people's character names first and Then thier @handle by default.
    Edited by reagen_lionel on April 20, 2014 5:47PM
  • briank741
    briank741

even then, at least in Neverwinter. It shows people's character names first and Then thier @handle by default.

Neverwinter chat is just like Star Trek and Champions chat.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭

then its the same. shows character names most of the time, and the @handles only after. I've mentioned neverwinter because its the onlly one I actually and still do play and I heard others say star trek and champions differently. but I know for sure about neverwinter.
  • briank741
    briank741

then its the same. shows character names most of the time, and the @handles only after. I've mentioned neverwinter because its the onlly one I actually and still do play and I heard others say star trek and champions differently. but I know for sure about neverwinter.

Star Trek, Champions, and Neverwinters chat are the exact same and you can even talk across games. You can even create chat channels that work across games.