Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Additional Crafting Bag/Bank Slots With Keen Eye? - Proposed Solution for Dev Review

Katjac
Katjac
First off, loving the game - it is incredible! Tks to ZOS for a fantastic MMO!

While running yesterday in early access I noticed that there is an interesting situation developing with early level crafting vs bag/bank slots vs cost to upgrade bag/bank slots. Issues I've noticed that all impact this are as follows:

1. In order to get the mats required to do higher levels of crafting/offset what you find in the world, crafters need to break down their gear that they find/make rather than sell it to vendors.

2. This makes it very challenging to collect the 400g for bag/1000g for bank slot upgrades - I find that I have 1/3 to 1/4 of the gold that the non-crafter guildmates have to buy these things

3. When you decide to do alchemy, enchanting and/or multiple armor/weapon styles, many of these items do not stack, therefore you fill up inventory sooner

4. The shared bank item is fantastic, however it prevents/precludes the traditional approach of having early low-level 'bank alts' that can store your crafting materials. With the 10g/mail tarrif currently in place, this also makes early transfer of goods between characters challenging (probably by design)

5. Upgrades in the crafting skill lines bring additional materials to the player - the keen eye and hireling permit for additional mats that the individual may not have room for. In addition, it is demonstrated by the selection of these skills that the individual is using valuable skill points to support early crafting in the game

Potential Solution:

In order to offset the potential lack of funds/additional storage requirements of an early level crafter, the following would be a solution that would help to improve our ability to craft as well as mitigate the lack of income resulting from breaking everything down:

a) With the selection of the 'keen eye' skill, the player receives 10 additional 'crafting bag slots' and 10 additional 'crafting bank slots'

b) These slots could be locked to only permit the storage of 'crafting materials' (ie no weapons, potions, crafted foods etc)

c) The 'keen eye' bag/bank slots are capped at 10 regardless of how many crafting lines you open/select keen eye for

d) (alternative) - Every point you spend in 'keen eye' gets you an additional 10 bank crafting slots (to a maximum of 30 but the 10 bag slots remains static throughout the game

Really want to do crafting but material management is becoming a huge challenge even at level 10.

Congrats to ZOS for an amazing launch - best MMO launch I've seen and best game launch in a long time. Fantastic!!!

Feedback from the community/devs is welcome. Would love to know your thoughts.

Katjac
  • arkangelcorvusb16_ESO
    I'd say take it a step further. Just give me a dedicated crafting inventory/bank. Material management is incredibly tight even when only using tier 1 materials, now that I've entered the next zone I'll have twice as many different materials to worry about, and it'll only keep getting worse. I could sell off low level materials, but what if I don't want to? I feel that there is no viable way to store crafting materials, especially if you want to do multiple professions, considering the vast diversity of materials available.
  • Metrobius
    Metrobius
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good idea. I have never thought of inventory management as a mini game in TES games because I always killed someone and stole a house or used empty crates to store my extra loot in. since we don't get to have houses with all kinds of handy crates and shelves I think this perk is a no brainer.
  • Allonan
    Allonan
    ✭✭✭
    There was a Dev interview a while back where he basically said that inventory management is one of the "Friction Points" to keep players from crafting everything. It can be done, but you have to work hard at it to do so. It adds a level of challenge to crafting and makes dedicated crafters a little bit more rare in the game for now.
    Nothing is impossible... there are only differing degrees of probability.
  • Oldtimer209
    Oldtimer209
    ✭✭✭
    I think it really sucks that ALL of my characters have to share ONE bank account.
  • PlagueMonk
    PlagueMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it really sucks that ALL of my characters have to share ONE bank account.

Just remember the old, time honored "mule" technique. :smile: Unless you don't plan on playing 7 different alts, you do have other storage options at your disposal.
  • Usstan
    Usstan
    ✭✭
    As @PlagueMonk‌ said, if you don't use all your character slots, there's no reason to complain about not enough storage slots in the bank.

Just create an alt, skip Coldharbour and run to the closest bank, have the alt pull out all the items you don't need full access to, f.ex maps, and other items that you don't need for instant crafting access ... tada, no more issues.

As for @jmmajb16_ESO‌ 's suggestion about additional crafting slots idea, I'll ask the following question. If it got implemented and use keen eye to get the extra slots and then respect, what should happen to the items in the extra slots? Should it just randomly delete 10 crafting items, possibly some of them being 100 item stacks?
  • Katjac
    Katjac
    Wrt the question above, I think that they could put in a requirement to take the materials out of those banks/bag slots prior to removing the skill points. If you respec back into those skill levels you get the space back.

That would make it manageable in my opinion.
  • chel.casey12ub17_ESO
    "5. Upgrades in the crafting skill lines bring additional materials to the player - the keen eye and hireling permit for additional mats that the individual may not have room for. In addition, it is demonstrated by the selection of these skills that the individual is using valuable skill points to support early crafting in the game."

I think in addition to this, it makes a very valid point that it is hard to spec into crafting and still be able to progress in quests without dying. So they might want to consider having Crafting points that go into crafting, and skill points that go into combat. Otherwise you have to choose crafting or playing the game(questing, dungeoning, and PVP).

Personally I am a big fan of the entire leveling skill system of Skyrim and I think that with TES:O there are far too many options in some aspects and not enough in others.

For instance for combat, do you spec in class abilities, weapon abilities, armor, racial, guild, cyrodil? All of these give you too many options without giving you enough skill points to be able to prepare yourself in certain environmental settings(pvp, werewolves, vampires, deadra). It seems as though you have to constantly switch what fighting abilities you need according to the type of enemy your killing. But you won't have enough skill points since they are limited in the entire game. Plus factor in that each spec can be morphed +2 times, there is no points available for crafting by this time.

It needs some serious working.