The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Incapacitating Strike - how to NOT to get stunned????

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
That 3 seconds is just not a good thing.
I guess try to break free?
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused. Are you asking how to avoid the stun? Or how to break free? The stun functions like any other stun - when it hits you can immediately press break free to break the cc. You shouldn't be sitting for the entire duration of the stun unless you're out of stamina.

Incap is also one of the most telegraphed ultimates in the game - it has a very loud noise signaling its cast and the nightblade does a very obvious spin animation. With practice, you should be able to block it or dodge it with relative ease.
    Edited by CameraBeardThePirate on January 21, 2023 4:39AM
  • baselesschart
    baselesschart
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't always stun depending on how much ult is consumed. Just bind your break free to something you can spam, mine is on my mouse wheel and besides when its laggy I can break free almost immediately
    A fairly mediocre nightblade that occasionally kills people
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    • Dodge roll immediately when you hear the screeching sound.
    • On PC, use Miat's PvP Alerts addon. It will make a sound fractionally earlier.
    • Use Slippery CP to automatically break free.
    • Wear Zoal and stun the nightblade right back ... automatically with Slippery CP.
    • Rebind "break free" so it's not two buttons. Better just one button to be reliable.
    • At the extreme end of the spectrum you could be a troll tank spamming Unstoppable (heavy armor skill).
    • Immovable potions will temporarily grant you immunity.
    • As an extreme (Argonian) potion quaffer with potion duration enchants, you could get high uptime on that effect. Is that seriously recommended? No (expensive and too much of a sacrifice).
    • Escapist poison will give you temporary immunity while fighting. Assassin's Guile set can result in high uptimes, but again, is it worth it? Probably not.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming it is not a "lag fest" scenario, you can always break free, which limits the "burst window" for a NB that is attacking you to like 1 second. It is also good to cast some AOE CC after your break free (like Turn Evil) so that the attacker will also have to react (break free) and will have his/her combo interrupted. Then, you just use speed buff/CC removal (like Race Against time for example) and heal up. Alternatively, you can unlock "Slippery" CP Passive or use a gear set (like Dauntless Combatant) that will automatically "break free" you as soon as some CC is applied to you. So Incap Won't stun you.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Break free and CC immunity have been a lie for me for some time. I'll have to try binding break free to a button. Even at full stam i never break free (yes I have slippery but the the problem occurs anytime the freebie isnt up.)
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @CameraBeardThePirate sorry!

Avoid the Stun!

Break free is usually a little too late, but did figure that out myself!
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!

That is a ton of great info!

I never paid attention to the sound....strange....

Plugins, here I come!

@fred4 - does Miat's still work? And is it cheating...???

I HATE NB and getting whacked...but is part of the game....so I would rather learn how to deal with it then have it revealed...there are things I can use (revealing flare, expert hunter)
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    @fred4 - does Miat's still work?
    Miat's got reined in pretty quickly in the early days when it gained it's reputation. ZOS tightened up their API to limit what it can do. The, perhaps, most significant and controversial thing it still does is that sound when you get attacked by a new player. Not only does that help with ganks, it also alerts you when you are suddenly being focused by multiple players, as it goes "ding, ding, ding". Your cue to block or get out of there.

I assume this is done by Miat's leveraging combat log functionality and the ability to make sounds. This means it triggers when you are already being attacked, not earlier, as I believe it was capable of at the time of it's initial release. ZOS can't really prevent this unless they wholesale ban combat logs, Combat Metrics and the like, or the ability for addons to make sounds or put messages on the screen.

Miat's has many other useful features. The ones I use include the enemy counter while you're looking at a zerg, and the keep status display, which shows the status of all the resources or IC districts without looking at the map.
    And is it cheating...???
    That is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I think it's just part of the landscape on PC with addons.
    there are things I can use (revealing flare, expert hunter)
    Those skills are not exactly gank protection. Radiant Magelight gives passive protection against some types of ganks, as does the Sea Serpent mythic. Using the detection skills while turning a flag, while you are at full resources and have nothing else to do, is also a good idea, although I usually just keep block up. Those skills are expensive. I wouldn't cast Expert Hunter while standing on a flag, because I'd rather block and don't want to run down my stamina. I suppose the flare is preventative, but I always say Magelight and Expert Hunter should be used when you already see the nightblade, e.g. to actively go after them and prevent them from getting away. As a defensive measure they are not that great, cause they need to be constantly recast and are costly. The range is low. You can't really use them to find a nightblade you knew was around a few seconds ago. Same goes for detection potions. However, when you see a nightblade, detection potions are great, since they have a decent range and duration compared to the skills. Always carry some kind of detection potion in addition to the regular ones you use.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nb counts till 5 and hits the I win everything button

All the other stuff really doesn’t matter. Nb mains themselves complicate their own class lol
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nb counts till 5 and hits the I win everything button

All the other stuff really doesn’t matter. Nb mains themselves complicate their own class lol

That is sorta "it". I can sit in a keep, keep my buffs up, and every 5 light attacks one shot someone down below. Now if I could figure out a way to get ultra high merciless bows on a bomb build, I could farm them while they siege and then kill them all at once when they break in, :D

I might be able to do the same thing on my necro if only blast bones would jump down from a wall, lol.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Roll Dodge in the opposite direction you were previously going - if you end up behind them, there's precious time wasted re-positioning while you get ready for what's next.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @fred4 true....flare is $$$ and once the NB stealth....if you drop 10, you'd be lucky to find them again.
    The NBs are never in the fight...always before ie. waiting at a bridge, after a keep is won...sneak little #$%# - but that is their role

I disabled Miat's....takes up a lot of screen real estate and I don't think I got it config'd properly
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    @fred4 true....flare is $$$ and once the NB stealth....if you drop 10, you'd be lucky to find them again.
    The NBs are never in the fight...always before ie. waiting at a bridge, after a keep is won...sneak little #$%# - but that is their role

I disabled Miat's....takes up a lot of screen real estate and I don't think I got it config'd properly
    You'll want to turn off most of Miat's options. In fact, you can turn everything or almost everything off, if you just want the "being attacked" sound.
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused. Are you asking how to avoid the stun? Or how to break free? The stun functions like any other stun - when it hits you can immediately press break free to break the cc. You shouldn't be sitting for the entire duration of the stun unless you're out of stamina.

Incap is also one of the most telegraphed ultimates in the game - it has a very loud noise signaling its cast and the nightblade does a very obvious spin animation. With practice, you should be able to block it or dodge it with relative ease.

Well said.

Incap is soooo obvious when it happens. Break Free, dodge, create separation because many NB abilities are 5m range for melee builds, and after the 6s buff expires, their damage drops a lot.

It was one of my frustrations as a melee NB - the vast majority of your kit is short-ranged and dodgeable. It was the reason I preferred running DW on frontbar so instead of 2H, so that at least I had a non-dodgeable execute in Whirlwind.
    Edited by taugrim on January 25, 2023 8:02AM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Vanionator
    Vanionator
    ✭✭
    Radiant Magelight helps, or it use to. I just keep alert for the sound that the ult makes.