The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Appearance change doesn't work for height

xygni
xygni
Soul Shriven
I tried changing my character's height using an appearance change token and nothing changed.
I thought I did something wrong, like not commit the change, so I bought another token and noticed the height slider was indeed lower from my previous change.
I've moved it to the minimum height and still I saw no changes in game.
I'm using Bastian as a height reference example, with these before and after screenshots:
BEFORE (with height slider at middle - which was default when I first created the character):
ycgl0xvvp1j2.jpg
AFTER (with height slider on MINIMUM, my second attempt):
4q3xb58pnmac.jpg
Still half a head taller.
Note that in the character editor I've seen my character drastically shrink or grow by moving the height slider, and this is clearly not reflected in the game.
And yes, I've pressed saved and my tokens were used up.
And I know about races having different base heights, but even if as an Altmer my character is taller than most, I should see SOME change to his height if I change the slider. Otherwise it would be better to not put a height slider in the character editor at all, and confuse people with it.
Thus, I'm disappointed with my crown purchase for character appearance, which is quite a deterrent for future such purchases.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    xygni wrote: »
    I tried changing my character's height using an appearance change token and nothing changed.
    I thought I did something wrong, like not commit the change, so I bought another token and noticed the height slider was indeed lower from my previous change.
    I've moved it to the minimum height and still I saw no changes in game.
    I'm using Bastian as a height reference example, with these before and after screenshots:
    BEFORE (with height slider at middle - which was default when I first created the character):
    ycgl0xvvp1j2.jpg
    AFTER (with height slider on MINIMUM, my second attempt):
    4q3xb58pnmac.jpg
    Still half a head taller.
    Note that in the character editor I've seen my character drastically shrink or grow by moving the height slider, and this is clearly not reflected in the game.
    And yes, I've pressed saved and my tokens were used up.
    And I know about races having different base heights, but even if as an Altmer my character is taller than most, I should see SOME change to his height if I change the slider. Otherwise it would be better to not put a height slider in the character editor at all, and confuse people with it.
    Thus, I'm disappointed with my crown purchase for character appearance, which is quite a deterrent for future such purchases.

DId you use the LOCK icon when you set the height? I used that and my new appearance kept the change.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you a bit behind Bastian in the first screenshot compared to the second? Either way, it is hardly any difference, if at all, I agree. I wish we had a greater height range for every race, but wonder whether something is bugged for you to see no change at all.

I would recommend that you submit a ticket for a refund/replacement of the tokens since you used them to apparently no effect. My experience is that ZOS support is good about things like this. I had used an appearance change token only to find the difference in appearance in-game unacceptable and was able to get an additional token to fix this (I think I experimented with an unused character slot to be sure I got the settings right).
  • xygni
    xygni
    Soul Shriven
    DId you use the LOCK icon when you set the height? I used that and my new appearance kept the change.

No I did not, but the second time I tried, the slider's position was where I've moved it the first time, so it shouldn't require a lock. Besides, if lock is needed, it should clearly say so, not waste our tokens. Right?
  • xygni
    xygni
    Soul Shriven
    Are you a bit behind Bastian in the first screenshot compared to the second?

Maybe, but even if I move more behind or more to the front, it's still the same height I was before. Half a head taller.

And not just taller... but rather... LARGER. When I look at other characters and NPCs as well... height isn't implemented too well. The entire character is either skewed or stretched. And I don't mean muscle size or being thin or fat. But the entire skeleton size.
    I would recommend that you submit a ticket for a refund/replacement of the tokens since you used them to apparently no effect.

I will try that, thanks.
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭

No I did not, but the second time I tried, the slider's position was where I've moved it the first time, so it shouldn't require a lock. Besides, if lock is needed, it should clearly say so, not waste our tokens. Right?

No, I don't agree. The lock icon is there, you can see it, why do you not use it? Do you think the devs would have put it there if it was not necessary? It's a self-explanatory interface option. Use it for the purpose it was intended. I'm gonna go with user-error on this issue you are having. Sorry that happened.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No, I don't agree. The lock icon is there, you can see it, why do you not use it? Do you think the devs would have put it there if it was not necessary? It's a self-explanatory interface option. Use it for the purpose it was intended. I'm gonna go with user-error on this issue you are having. Sorry that happened.

Locks on settings are not required for them to take effect in character creation. They are there so you can lock a setting and then click randomize while keeping only the settings you locked.

I have never used a lock and have always had the changes turn out as intended, whether in initial creation or using a change token.
  • xygni
    xygni
    Soul Shriven

LOL. I'm a developer myself. And the lock's function is so you don't accidentally move the slider while changing other things. So let's agree to disagree that the "use is obvious".
  • xygni
    xygni
    Soul Shriven
    I'd like to close this thread as I think the height changes in a very unnoticeable, minuscule way (if it was real height the change would be in the mm range, instead of the expected cm range).

I've already posted a support ticket on jan 21, and if I can get my crowns or tokens back that would be fantastic but I'm not holding my breath. I hope no one else wastes their tokens trying to change height. Better to spend crowns on something else.

And thank you all for the replies.
    Edited by xygni on January 25, 2023 11:26AM