Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[SOLVED] Crafting and action in 1 character - is this possible ?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I recently started crafting on my 1 character ( yes, I'm one of those weirdos who has only a single character in ESO :) ), and yesterday found to my dismay that I had run out of accumulated skill points, and furthermore, needed another 77 to maximise the 7 crafting skill lines. There are also only about 100 skyshards left for me to collect and not all are available to me because they're in the few DLCs and chapters I don't yet own. So I started thinking of various ways to get around this, because I don't want to start another character just for the crafting.

My question is: can I use the Armory Station to set up 2 different character profiles: 1 for anything not crafting, and 1 for crafting ? I've never used the station, and don't want to go messing about with my builds before I know what the consequences are, so can someone more knowledgeable with these please educate me, thanks ?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on January 17, 2023 3:06PM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You can do both in one without using the armory. You get skill points from main quests, public dungeon group events, dungeon quests, and leveling up your PvP rank as well. Though to answer your question, yes you can set up one profile as crafting and one as not crafting. Just be sure to make yourself a system to make sure that you don't accidentally overwrite one when you don't mean to or lose out on build updates. My system is that I read carefully the build I'm on, overwrite it to save changes, and then swap to the other one and load it.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    You can do both in one without using the armory. You get skill points from main quests, public dungeon group events, dungeon quests, and leveling up your PvP rank as well. Though to answer your question, yes you can set up one profile as crafting and one as not crafting. Just be sure to make yourself a system to make sure that you don't accidentally overwrite one when you don't mean to or lose out on build updates. My system is that I read carefully the build I'm on, overwrite it to save changes, and then swap to the other one and load it.
    Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. As I read it, I had just finished using the Armory Station to setup the 2 free slots, one each for crafting and not crafting. For the not crafting one, I deallocated skills from various skill lines I knew I wouldn't use for the crafter, but still leaving it with enough armour and combat skills to effectively forage for crafting materials. :)

I realise there are many sources of skill points, and I've done extensive reading on them. The problem is that finding skill points to fully level up the 7 crafting skill lines would have taken me a lot of time (and grinding), and quite frankly I couldn't face that. As a mainly solo and PvE player, there are many sources of skill points I'd have trouble using, such as PvP, many group dungeons, and finding skyshards in Cyrodiil. So I'm happy enough with the Armory Station solution.

I now have 82 skill points available on the crafting armory slot, a bit more than I'll need, so I'm happy! :)
    Edited by vsrs_au on December 26, 2022 12:03AM
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, my understanding is that the Mundus stone is not saved but everything else is. The only thing you need to do is keep carrying the gear from any saved builds.

I've saved several characters existing build before mucking around with different gear sets and skills and never had a problem re-applying the original build. The first thing to do is save your current setup, that way you can revert back to it at any time. If you want to play it safe, you can always take screen shots of any skills, CP, or even character stats as a backup.

I'd also check if there any other skill points you're missing?
    Things like DLC story lines, all 3 faction quest lines, group delves/bosses/quests, etc. Check if the character has points assigned to things it no longer needs. Points assigned to things like research aren't needed once all traits are learned.

My main crafter has all the points he needs to both craft and fight without me switching setups (but I am CP1665 with 6 years of gameplay).
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Yes, my understanding is that the Mundus stone is not saved but everything else is. The only thing you need to do is keep carrying the gear from any saved builds.

I've saved several characters existing build before mucking around with different gear sets and skills and never had a problem re-applying the original build. The first thing to do is save your current setup, that way you can revert back to it at any time. If you want to play it safe, you can always take screen shots of any skills, CP, or even character stats as a backup.

I'd also check if there any other skill points you're missing?
    Things like DLC story lines, all 3 faction quest lines, group delves/bosses/quests, etc. Check if the character has points assigned to things it no longer needs. Points assigned to things like research aren't needed once all traits are learned.

My main crafter has all the points he needs to both craft and fight without me switching setups (but I am CP1665 with 6 years of gameplay).
    I've done the main quests, all 3 alliance quests (i.e. main quests in all alliance zones), and seasons 2 (daedric wars) and 3 (dragon), and I'm currently on Markarth main quests. I'm basically doing the chronological order thing. As a solo player, I've done 7 of the easier group dungeons, and am slowly working my way up to the tougher ones.

In any case, once I used a skill respec scroll on the crafter slot of the Armory Station, I found there were a lot of skill lines my crafter slot didn't need, and so I managed to free up the 82 skill points fairly easily, while still leaving the crafter able to defend itself if needed.
    Edited by vsrs_au on December 26, 2022 5:26AM
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    :)

I just realised that as well as freeing up various non-crafting related skill points on my crafter armory slot, I can also free up all the crafting skill points on my non-crafter armory slot. That will give me numerous skill points to put into combat-related skill lines that I haven't yet maximised.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My main does all in one PVE/crafting. And then an armory slot for PVP.

All of my alts have an armory slot fot crafting and for PVP or pve depending on the character. Mostly because I can't be bothered with getting a bunch of skyshards for them and they only do 1 thing each, unlike my main which does everything.
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this with a side character (I started out making a Nightblade rogue, but I wasn't have fun with her) and put all the skills in crafting, all the CP in crafting/harvesting and speed.

I also got speed and stealth related gear for her (including wild hunt ring) so she can move around zones quicker, outpace the farming bots and sneak past mobs or creatures which slow down harvesting.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can’t “do everything” on one character, because that character can only be one class. Once you embrace the need for alts of other classes, then the alts don’t get all the weapon skill lines, just the ones where their class excels. Then any of them can be a crafter, too.

I started at the other end. My intended dedicated crafting character became my best tank.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ghastley wrote: »
    You can’t “do everything” on one character, because that character can only be one class. Once you embrace the need for alts of other classes, then the alts don’t get all the weapon skill lines, just the ones where their class excels. Then any of them can be a crafter, too.

I started at the other end. My intended dedicated crafting character became my best tank.
    I never said I wanted to do everything on one character, so I don't know what prompted that comment. All I wanted to do was to continue leveling up crafting without having to create another character, and I've achieved exactly that by using the two free armory station slots. That's why I updated the thread title with '[SOLVED]'.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    With the OP question regarding crafting now answered, we will go ahead and close this discussion going forward.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.