The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Character all of a sudden looks differently

SamuelBenjamin
Hi,

All of a sudden my character looks like an NPC, unless I wear certain apparel in which case it again looks like the character I created.

How is this possible?
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean? There are hundreds of different NPCs.
    Does your character look like one in particular or does it just look like a 'basic model humanoid'? What's wrong with it?

Obviously, if you change the clothes the character will look different. I assume you mean something else changes as well as just the clothing.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • SamuelBenjamin
    I play a blond human but all of a sudden look like a dark haired half-orc...
  • SamuelBenjamin
    Well, beat me but 10 minutes after posting this it returned to normal....
  • ChanceofRust
    ChanceofRust
    ✭✭
    Is it possible you have an active quest that involves a disguise? I had one in Auridon that continually turned me into a large, bearded man instead of my female wood elf, because I hadn't been able to finish a quest line. Once the quest was finished, no more disguise.

Some you can take off, but others are keyed to locations. It's near where your jewelry is listed on your person, I do believe.
  • Censorious
    Censorious
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some of those disguises are reusable. I had one in beta that I could 'wear' in Cyrodiil to hide the armour I was actually wearing.
    They show up in your character screen.
    'Clever' sigs get old real fast - just like this one.
  • SamuelBenjamin
    Yes, when I wear another disguise my character looks properly again, but ChanceofRusts explanations is probably correct.

Thanks