Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Clockwork Question.

Avoranti
Avoranti
✭✭✭✭✭
Could someone explain the day/night cycle in clockwork city? Or help me make sense of it? I know this may read as having an obvious answer but consider where the Clockwork City is located and it’s size.

Does this mean the sky cycle is magic? Are the stars fabricated? Is it a projection? Are the stars actually glowing cave critters?

Was just at CWC and looked up and saw an awesome nighttime star filled sky. Which seems to appear outside of the mechanic dome that contains the city.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 13, 2023 11:39AM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just always assumed Sotha Sil arranges things as he prefers. I love the sky no matter what time it is.
    ______________________________________________________

    But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

    PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has night and day for the same reason it has mechanical flies, scorpions, and brassilisks-- basically, because it suited Sotha Sil's amusement and hubris to have those things.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Grega
    Grega
    ✭✭✭✭
    Avoranti wrote: »
    Could someone explain the day/night cycle in clockwork city? Or help me make sense of it? I know this may read as having an obvious answer but consider where the Clockwork City is located and it’s size.

    Does this mean the sky cycle is magic? Are the stars fabricated? Is it a projection? Are the stars actually glowing cave critters?

    Was just at CWC and looked up and saw an awesome nighttime star filled sky. Which seems to appear outside of the mechanic dome that contains the city.

    I’ve read somewhere in mnemonic planisphere (among many lore books in there) that stars you see in the sky of clockwork city are actually fragments of stored memory of sotha sil.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoranti wrote: »
    Could someone explain the day/night cycle in clockwork city? Or help me make sense of it? I know this may read as having an obvious answer but consider where the Clockwork City is located and it’s size.
    Does this mean the sky cycle is magic? Are the stars fabricated? Is it a projection? Are the stars actually glowing cave critters?

    That's the celestiodrome. Varuni says it's made of glass. The stars are probably a magic projection.
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    It has night and day for the same reason it has mechanical flies, scorpions, and brassilisks-- basically, because it suited Sotha Sil's amusement and hubris to have those things.

    It's supposed to be a copy of the real world, so it has to have a sky. That's also the explanation why there are dangers and different social classes, by the way.



    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grega wrote: »
    I’ve read somewhere in mnemonic planisphere (among many lore books in there) that stars you see in the sky of clockwork city are actually fragments of stored memory of sotha sil.

    That's about the star-shaped things in the Planisphere, not the sky outside.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Clockwork_City

    The Clockwork city is located in its own realm, outside of time and space. The miniature version on Nirn is a way to access it, a portal, not the city itself.

    The "sky" in Clockwork city is a projection on a glass dome, called "celestiodrome".
    It may be an image of stars in the mnemonic planisphere, but the dome could probably display anything else, like an animated wallpaper. It is not clearly said if the display is from magic or mechanic or both - but it works as a giant TV screen AFAIU.

    I guess Sotha Sil included a day/night cycle to help in the regulation of breathing atmosphere and local lifeforms.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Avoranti wrote: »
    Could someone explain the day/night cycle in clockwork city? Or help me make sense of it? I know this may read as having an obvious answer but consider where the Clockwork City is located and it’s size.
    Does this mean the sky cycle is magic? Are the stars fabricated? Is it a projection? Are the stars actually glowing cave critters?

    That's the celestiodrome. Varuni says it's made of glass. The stars are probably a magic projection.
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    It has night and day for the same reason it has mechanical flies, scorpions, and brassilisks-- basically, because it suited Sotha Sil's amusement and hubris to have those things.

    It's supposed to be a copy of the real world, so it has to have a sky. That's also the explanation why there are dangers and different social classes, by the way.

    I don't think the different social classes are entirely by design. A lot of the residents of Slag Town say they ended up there by accident and no one seems sure how they got in or how to get them home, and having found themselves stuck they either refused to conform to the society because they don't like how things are run and the veneration of Sotha Sil or they lack the kind of skills which are valued and respected (mainly magic and engineering) so they're largely ignored by the other residents.

    In ESO Clockwork City is already falling away from what Sotha Sil hoped he could create, it's got a long way to go before it reaches the condition it's in during TES III, but it's already got flaws in the design and things which aren't part of the intended design at all.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

    "Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    In ESO Clockwork City is already falling away from what Sotha Sil hoped he could create, it's got a long way to go before it reaches the condition it's in during TES III, but it's already got flaws in the design and things which aren't part of the intended design at all.

    You're wrong... The city is exactly what Sotha Sil knew he could create. It is by design an experiment, a proof that its goal can be achieved, not the achievement itself. The fact the city exists has pre-calculated consequences, and these consequences may be even more important than the city itself. Tricky, but that's definitely how Sotha Sil expresses it.

    ESO dialogue:
    [Player] Didn't you just say that you question whether the City is worth the effort?
    [Seth] "Indeed. But such questions are flaccid - cursory indulgences that come and go in an instant.
    The truth is that my actions, both good and evil, are inevitable. Locked in time. Determined by chains of action and consequence."
    [Player] So... you were forced to build the Clockwork City?
    [Seth] "Compelled. This City serves a noble goal. The redemption of Tamriel. The unification of competing forces. The destruction of the Daedra. Unfortunately, it is an endeavor build [sic] upon a lattice of corpses. Betrayal. Untold horrors.Do you understand?"

    Also this:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Sotha_Sil_and_the_Scribe
    Edited by MerguezMan on January 13, 2023 10:24AM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is flawed, and things are getting worse over the centuries, but it was never planned as an utopia where everyone is equal and lives under paradisiac circumstances either. It's supposed to be a copy of the real world. So it cannot and should not be "perfect".
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

    After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

    Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
Sign In or Register to comment.