The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Odd black screen problem

jashmyne
jashmyne
Twice yesterday I had a problem where the screen would just turn black but the game was still running in the background since I could hear the sounds.
It wasn't a crash per say since I could just alt-tab to windows just fine and go back into the game without issues as well(but greeted by the same black screen).
I had to alt-f4 just to get out of the game.
Can point out that both these cases occured while talking to a NPC.
  • Lovreone
    Lovreone
    ✭✭
    Try editing this file C:\Users\\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt . Change the line from "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"" to "SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9"". Worked for me
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Greetings @jashmyne ,

For the black screen issue you are experiencing, We have a few steps you can try to start troubleshooting the problem. Please try the following steps listed below:

1. Try opening the ESO launcher as an admin.
    • Right click the ESO launcher icon
    • Click Run as Administrator

2. Please download the latest drivers for your card, follow the manufacturer's installation instructions and try to run the game again, as administrator.
    • Nvidia Video Cards: http://www.nvidia.com click "Drivers" and choose Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products.
    • AMD Video Cards: http://www.amd.com click "Drivers & Support" and click the "Find your driver" button.
    • Other Video Cards: You should contact the computers manufacturer for driver updates.

Please let us know whether either step helps out in preventing this from occuring in the future.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • FLAPJAXS5150
    FLAPJAXS5150
    Soul Shriven
    im having similar issues i got a diffrent computer so idk what it is now
    i put in a support ticket an the issu hasnt been addressed yet so i thought id post somthing on here please get back to me asap thanks much appreciated
  • ZOS_AlvinM
    ZOS_AlvinM
    ✭✭
    Hi @FLAPJAXS5150‌. Has support had the opportunity to get back to you? If not, please respond to this for more help. Thanks!
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Krollebaggins
    Krollebaggins
    Soul Shriven
    I have the exact same issue, though it would seem that this only happens when running the game in windowed mode.

Since I'm running a multi monitor setup, just playing in fullscreen mode is not much of a fix for me sadly.

Any new ideas?
    Edited by Krollebaggins on March 4, 2015 8:16AM
  • ZOS_GaryA
    ZOS_GaryA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there @Krollebaggins,

Generally black screen issues can be resolved by recreating the usersettings.txt file. To do this, head to documents\Elder Scrolls Online\Live and move the Usersettings.txt file to the desktop. Once that is completed, launch the game and let us know if it helps!
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post