The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templar feels incredibly Bleh. Anyone have a fun effective build?

UnassumingNoob
UnassumingNoob
✭✭✭✭
Been playing for a really long time.

Always mained a Templar through thick and thin. Just play the one character. I work a lot and don’t want to start over despite all the awa improvements.

My favorite setup was an offensive healer that could keep the group up as well as leaning on jabs and skills that doubled as damage and support to contribute to dps. Always smooth runs. With jabs being neutered that role is much less effective. The blazing spear spam with a similar setup is ok but also kinda bleh.

I have his dps setup too but it just feels meh as well. Push out about 115k dps on Xbox but am leaning heavily on single target proc sets.

The most fun I’m having is on my Templar tank setup who is just crushing content atm.

Does anyone else have thoughts on Templar atm? Anything fun or interesting and EFFECTIVE to try these days. Class feels pretty gutted.

Cheers
  • smackinhippies
    smackinhippies
    ✭✭✭
    I parked my templar DPS after the U35 treatment, blazing spears and JB as a spammable ruined the playstyle for me. I primarily use my sorc and dusted off my old magblade now for DPS in trials/dungeons. On the note about tanking, I did create a sorc tank that is a lot of fun.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars are bleh. Since U35 they haven't been much fun. And it's not just about jabs.

Of all my various toons their build has the least amount of class skills used. I can't seem to come up with something that I like to play that has a smooth rotation and is as effective as my Oakensoul Sorc.

If someone has a good suggestion I too would be interested.
    PS5/NA
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of blazing spear spam, and then you get to start beaming early, at around 43%. I found that the Kvatch Gladiator set makes this build more fun, by giving ~2k spell damage when beaming enemies under 25% health. If you're in a group with mostly DK's and Sorcs (execute will last a while) this can be a surprisingly competitive set, ideally paired with a slayer set like Whorl.

Alternatively I've been enjoying an AoE setup using jabs and wearing plaguebreak. While most classes can only plague 2 enemies per second (1 skill + 1 light attack), Templar can apply it to 4 (3 jabs + 1 light attack). This means the plague explosion chain will be about double what any other class can achieve, and large groups of enemies with just disappear.
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templars are really good as a writcrafting alt since u35 😆
    Edited by endgamesmug on January 10, 2023 12:27PM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I main a templar too, and have all the sads about how she is post update 35. To make it worse i main a PVE stamplar - I feel like the proverbial leper lol!

Currently for trials and dungeons i am going AOE with whorl of the depths and azureblight to bring trash down quick with decentish single target damage (not as good as rele/nirn, but good enough)
    Soupy twist
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two options for yah!

- blazing shield tank. Fun for soloability of anything in the game. You can solo tank vet AA with no group members! And deal a bit of damage...I personally would run it with oakensoul, but I hate barswap...you won't be performing the normal debuffing job given to tanks. But you'll have a build that's all yours, forget the haters. Slot blazing shield, channeled focus, living dark, inner fire, and any other stamina based skill you want. You can run ANY weapon as this build DOES NOT BLOCK...even the hardest hits in the game you won't block. You stack to 70k health and laugh as ur enemies hit you with the hardest hits and don't even drop an ounce of health. You have more shield with bone armor and blazing shield than you do health...it's dumb.

-dark flare DPS. Slot oakensoul, dark flare, blazing spear, radiant destruction, honor the dead or channeled focus and another DPS ability. Equip relequin jewels and three armor, Slot another light armor set with weapons. Fire staff for mag return or DW daggers for cool points. This build WILL not get you tipping the top of dps meters. But you'll be able to complete any group content in the game without anyone complaining on you. You'll get roughly 70-75k dps. Not too bad for such an easy build. The benefits? You get to use one of the rarest dps skills!

Drop jabs man...the gig is up with it.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what is considered "fun effective build", but I like mine below much more than other classes.
    Few years I was thinking what to do with Dunmer templar, then for a try made a stamplar with bow/bow, Selistrix, Venom and Plaguebreak. For my humble needs it's enough effective. When I return tired after work this one brings me a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hUrnzA4aI
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • mandricus
    mandricus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday i logged in on my stamplar (my main), wich was collecting dust since u35 dropped. Tried it on the 6 mil dummy with my old setup (Relequem / Yokeda ). Then I remembered why I didn't touch it since u35. It's a joke, Jabs hit like a wet noodle. Logged out, not going to touch it again until they change something. Playing it in this state is it's just sad and pointless.
    Edited by mandricus on January 10, 2023 11:29PM
  • XiangliSYD
    XiangliSYD
    ✭✭
    range templar is fire. I "mained" DK/NB/Templar and I get the best results in high MMR bgs with my rangeplar.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @UnassumingNoob Here is a challenge for you.
    Make an Oakensoul build with Ritual of Retribution, Blazing Spear, Razor Caltrops, any Dawn's Wrath skill to proc minor sorcery and any Support Skill you feel is necessary. Meteor as Ultimate.

And do that on a Restoration Staff!
    Then equip sets to buff heavy attacks (Sergeant's Mail and Storm Master, for example) and use Resto heavies as spammable.

The clue are the Resto passives, especially Essence Drain. 🤯
    If you run with a half decent Tank, that can debuff reliably, you are gonna get 20k heals for finishing one Resto Heavy.
    And even Solo, that is at least a 12k heal, while dishing out high damage and sustaining easily.
    Edited by Zodiarkslayer on January 12, 2023 9:31AM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • duckdown
    duckdown
    ✭✭✭
    If u want to learn how to play templar check fluffy_frozr (twitch) or mmrkk in pc europe server. Never seen anyone better than them.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are zero PvP builds that wouldn't just be more effective on another class. The only PvE role where Templar is as effective as other classes is healer. Shards and Jesus beam are good skills. Sweeps and potl gutted. What on earth is going on with dark flare, empower doesn't work in PvP and defile is worthless in PvE so who even knows what they're thinking with that. So, to answer your question, not really.
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    after 6 years as dd I changed my magplar to tank (and it's funny). After U35 playing it as dd is a purge....
    PC-EU
  • xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar was killed in U35.
  • Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    Jordan.nick11b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. They destroyed it!
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    xthrshx wrote: »
    Templar was killed in U35.

Then they nuked the body in u36
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zos must un-bleh templar to working state.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templar is still the highest dps toon for me, and after changing a few skills on his bar dmg actually went up lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    @UnassumingNoob
    what was your offensive healer setup? PVE or PVP.

I would like an PVP offensive healer....stay live, keep others alive, and slap around a few enemies (or at least REALLY annoy them)

All classes go thru ups n downs. The Templar is in the valley phase.

It is more of a challenge for me and I stick to it. Perhaps it makes me a better player?
    (but, yes, I would like to kill more)

PVE - I notice little change.
    PVP...jabs are more like tickling.

Burning Light Procs often enough. Passives are still good. Imperials get that 6% cost reduction, paired with Red Diamond - not too bad.

They will get their turn to Shine in the Light again, and others will complain about their nerfed classes...

Let us all Pray to Stendarr for blessings of the Templar.

Z
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    My main build is a stamplar and when it comes to pve, it feels so much weaker since that one patch. I think because it feels so much weaker and easy to play its just not as exciting anymore. The other problem is when your so used to playing templar its hard to adjust to other classes.
    nb_rich
  • igormaxbr03
    igormaxbr03
    ✭✭✭
    I give up on magplar, been playing Dk must of time or even Warden break me that templar is realy bad and zos wont do much to help
  • MurkyWetWolf198
    MurkyWetWolf198
    ✭✭✭
    I threw a build for every class together, just running random normals. It's not the most optimized, but it's a quick make and is very cost-efficient. It's how I sustain my very experimental play-style where I make a new set-up like every other day.
    I'm running Order's Wrath, Deadly, Oaken (One-bar is much less stressful for random normals, and the dps loss is negligible for the easy content. Plus, no need to use pots) and 1-piece Valkyn/kragh. I use 3 light 4 medium iirc.
    Skills are Puncturing sweep, Radiant glory (the healing morph, idk if that's the correct name), PoL, Blazing Shards, Ritual of Retribution, Crescent (I like using class skills only, not like it matters for rando norms)
    I run Puncturing and Glory because I fake heal, and the amount of fake tanks on Xbox NA require that any build, even just for random normals, has at least moderate healing cpabilities.
    CP; Force of Nature, Fighting Finesse, Biting Aura, and MaA (or whatever is best, check Skinny Cheeks, I don't remember, just run Force of Nature and no Backstabber cause there are too many fake tanks to guarantee get behind bosses)
    It's not exactly nuclear dps, but it'll work in most dungeons.
    Just don't parse with it or bring it into any vet trials (not counting crags since they're free)
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't enjoy whole game because of templar weak state. Only after intense templar playing i can play different classes to compare not before. Right now it's just not acceptable.
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    I give up on magplar, been playing Dk must of time or even Warden break me that templar is realy bad and zos wont do much to help

I think they wont buff us because us experienced Templars do a lot of dps. I know a lot of people act like they wanted to leave the game when we got nerfed but really most of us stayed and either lived with the fact we got nerfed or gave our other characters/new characters a try.

For new players joining the game it wont matter because they never experienced how strong us templars were in the past so they won’t have a reason to complain.
    nb_rich
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep trying for a brawler type Templar like it used to be rather than beamplar. Have a build I'm testing and going to take for a spin in PvP, but so far; it's not like there's much that's shown up that can get it close to last patch. At some point, I think you still have to consider building to the beam but maybe you don't have to be a rangeplar...
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its my fault that i made too many templars but i thought well ill use 2hndr brawler and make atleast one of them useful as a survey runner, damage is still laughable 😆. But it is what it is, i mained templar mainly in pvp for years went through tons of nerfs and still persisted and still won, but its not worth the trouble now when theres other classes that are way more fun currently its a no brainer in my opinion shifting off templar.
  • igormaxbr03
    igormaxbr03
    ✭✭✭
    Not worth time templar is dead. get a Warden or Dk you better of i was main templar years on pvp but the class is weak beside healer
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few small things that could really help templar right now

1 Major sorcery/brutality not limited to a stam morph in class toolkit

2. Major breach added to class toolkit

3. POTL/PL to be a better burst over all while either more reliable like they seemed to try but also complete neutered in pvp, or have it have its original massive potential. They really jacked it up to be nothing
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on January 21, 2023 10:51PM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3. POTL/PL is really the biggest one. I keep working on my Templar to try to make it work as a brawler again and POTL/PL not being anywhere near as good as what it sounds is a back breaker while already having to work much harder to secure kills compared to other classes in PvP. And it's something that if adjusted, would not be a DPS boon for PvE

And a simple question maybe @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @zos_anybidy as for Prophecy of the Light and Purifying Light goes. Tooltip is not clear. It says the damage can increase by 200% depending on damage done. What damage has to be done to increase that? What is the formula?
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on January 23, 2023 11:54AM
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are formulas for everything. Check on uesp build editor
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden