The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Mag Sorc PVE gear question for a returning player?

flguy147ub17_ESO
flguy147ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, i returned a few weeks ago and maining a Mag Sorc. I dont have any trial gear so i was wondering what is the best dps gear setup plus monster set for dungeons? Also i dont have a lot of dlc monster sets so curious what is the best base game monster set for dps. Just not sure whats good after a long break. Thanks in advance.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on January 6, 2023 7:40PM
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deadly Strike is the best non-trials gear set. Pair that with Julianos or Order's Wrath if you're looking for crafted sets. Or pair it with Tzvogins, Medusa (jewels & weapons), War Maiden, or Mother's Sorrow for dungeon/overland sets. Easiest monster helm for a magsorc is probably Ilambris from COH1. Grothdarr and Maw of the Infernal are also decent and easy to get. Or go one piece of Slimecraw and wear the Kilt (mythic item) for more damage.

There are plenty of good trials sets these days with the hybrid approach. Relequen now works just as well for stamina and mag, and is pretty easy to get out of Cloudrest on normal. Good luck!
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deadly Strike is the best non-trials gear set. Pair that with Julianos or Order's Wrath if you're looking for crafted sets. Or pair it with Tzvogins, Medusa (jewels & weapons), War Maiden, or Mother's Sorrow for dungeon/overland sets. Easiest monster helm for a magsorc is probably Ilambris from COH1. Grothdarr and Maw of the Infernal are also decent and easy to get. Or go one piece of Slimecraw and wear the Kilt (mythic item) for more damage.

There are plenty of good trials sets these days with the hybrid approach. Relequen now works just as well for stamina and mag, and is pretty easy to get out of Cloudrest on normal. Good luck!

Thanks i have been using julianos, mother's sorrow and Ilambris. I will try and get Deadly strike. which is better to go with it, julianos, mother's sorrow or order's wrath? i was wondering if mother's sorrow or order's wrath was better
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @flguy147ub17_ESO if you are just running dungeons, you don't have to worry about hitting the crit cap, so if you have the traditional crit build DD setup, I would run Mother's Sorrow with Deadly Strike. But Order's Wrath is a close second. The big upside to Order's is that you can craft it in medium which is the preferred armor for DDs now. Both are going to put out a lot of damage
    Edited by El_Borracho on January 9, 2023 5:46PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Order's Wrath is slightly better than Mother's Sorrow, but why not run both? Drop Julianos, and I'd avoid Deadly on Sorc (it's more of a templar set) because it doesn't work with many of your skills (frag procs, curse, pets).

The next step in gear would be to get a decent front bar dungeon set like Burning Spellweave, Kinras, or Tzogvin. Pillar of nirn is also popular, but has a line of stamina that is wasted for magicka builds. These are nice because the allow you to use an arena weapon back bar (like the maelstrom staff), and the set bonus will carry over briefly

Eventually you'll want to get at least one trial set. Whorl of Depths is pretty universal, but it's damage is slow not bursty. Sul-Xan can be really nice for dungeons, basically a better version of Order's Wrath as long as enemies are dying frequently. Bahsei is also strong if you find yourself low on magicka, or Siroria for long stationary fights.

Monster sets aren't as good as mythics these days. Ideally you'll want something like Harpooner's Wading Kilt or Mora's Whispers. Fill the extra slot with one Slimecraw because it gives more crit than any other 1 piece bonus in the game. If you want to do a 2 piece monster set there are some fairly good ones, including Stormfist, Zaan, Iceheart, etc.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 9, 2023 6:24PM