The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

counterfeit pardons

ReachDaBeach
I am really new to the game. I accidentally did murder when following a direction pointer to get to the next section of a quest and ran through some spirits that caught up with me when I got into a camp of innocents. In killing the spirits that attacked me, I accidentally cut down one or two of the bystanders. Others witnessed, so I was declared kill on sight. I was at lv 13 and had noticed that counterfeit pardons were on the list of things I would receive at lv 14, so I went to a zombie grinding trail, got to lv 14 and used a pardon. then I went back into a town and was aimmediately killed by a guard and the bounty taken from my inventory.
What does a pardon do? I thought it was to clear up this very thing.
  • Lucifer_Sam
    Lucifer_Sam
    ✭✭
    The blue counterfeit pardons only remove 500 points of heat from you. I would bet you probably had a lot more heat on you than 500 at the time you used it.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I just destroy these things. I've never used one once in 4 years.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It removes 500 worth of your Bounty on use, and also clears all Heat. You can also use these back to back, if you have a bounty higher than 500 and want to clear it all. There's also a purple version, called Leniency Edict that removes 2,000 worth of your Bounty on use, and also clears all Heat. I find them pretty useful even though I don't do a lot of Justice activities, because for eg., some daily endeavours include 'steal x items from the environment', so if I accidentally get caught during those, I use the edicts to clear bounty so I won't get picked by the guards.
  • ReachDaBeach
    blktauna wrote: »
    Honestly I just destroy these things. I've never used one once in 4 years.

I didn't plan on needing one; if there was a real court I would have tried to plead to manslaughter. As I progress, I will get better about avoiding that kind of situation. I currently don't have the power or expertise to handle a swarm of anything but really weak mobs like the zombies in Verrant Morass. In fact I actually ended up dying in that fight, but the murder kind of made me gun shy and I think it brought in some additional fighters.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, the first thing my SO did out of the old tutorial was to kill a bantam guar in the streets of Davon's Watch and promptly got whacked by a guard. Since they had no gold, I had to bail them out at the Thieves Guild

You can always go to the Thieves Guild refuges in cities to pay off your bounty if you don't have any edicts on you.
  • ReachDaBeach
    My plan was to be crime free; still is, going forward. I have avoided stealing, but getting into a kill or be killed situation with intermingled friendlies was a tough spot. I also didn't realize that would happen. When grinding, I have had people jump between me and a zombie I am hitting with javelins or fireballs and they don't get hit. Kind of annoying when that happens; it's been higher level players that often one shot the zombies before I can finish them off.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also disable attacking innocents as well as stealing in the Gameplay settings options. Thankfully, it is by character too. ;)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i usually just stockpile the edicts in the case of accidental bounty, i have them stored in my bank and just grab them through banker assistant while im in a safe spot lol

its a lot cheaper and easier than paying off those bounties every time
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • ReachDaBeach
    I have a couple still; I just didn't realize I needed more than one. I am hanging on to them, but I did disable killing of innocents as recommended. I think it's already helped; I have had a similar situation where I didn't realize I had something tailing me until attacked after walking up to a quest npc in a camp. I turned around and slayed the mob with it standing right next to an innocent. That's exactly the situation that got me in trouble except the first time I knew i was being followed but thought I might outrun them.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the blue ones cover 500g worth of bounty, and are useful for 1 accidental slip up (caught stealing is usually around 90-120g bounty, getting caught attacking the npcs is like roughly 380-400g bounty, getting caught blade of woe is usually about 600-800 bounty)

the purple ones cover 2000g worth of bounty

there is a gold edict, which covers 100k bounty, but that you can only obtain once per character doing the thieves guild questline

the blue and purple ones are fairly common, from thieves troves, heists, and a few other sources (because im usually pretty careful, i have quite a good size stockpile in the bank if i need them)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used the heck out of them when doing dark brotherhood quest lines lol. Got a ton from the harrowstorms event a few weeks back but you can also get them from thieves troves.