Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it time for a new weapon in ESO ?

nb_rich
nb_rich
✭✭✭
So I made a post earlier this month about a new class which surprisingly not a lot of people agree with lol, but a few people mentioned new weapons and skill lines would be more preferred mainly due to balancing issues if a new class was created.

This actuality made me think about it and I agree with the people talking about new weapons.

Specifically for PvE when it comes to weapons you do not have much options unless you are a stam dps.

Some ideas I have for weapons are :
-Wands (1h) - its getting weird seeing magic dps with daggers
-Magic book (1h or alternate to shield if you want to be a magicka tank)
-Lance/Spear (2h)
-Bell (I know this sounds corny but I can’t think of an alternative for the resto staff lol)

Im curious to know what are some of y’all ideas or what you all think of a new weapon in general.

nb_rich
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a spear skill line sounds gravy

A wand line? I don't think so, I can't fathom it's implementation.

They should add some new types of weapons to DW. Something small maybe like a soul gem of different element types or just one type. And add into the DW passives something new for them. This way you could play like a real mage, no weapon at all. I've personally never used a skyrim magic build that used a staff...and while I think skyrim did staves dirty, they went the opposite direction with ESO forcing u to use some type of weapon.

Finger wigglers don't use weapons!
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any new weapon they add will have to use already existing motifs. I highly doubt they'd go ahead and make a new model for EVERY motif an style.
    As such, I believe the most likely new weapons are either the often-mentioned "rune and blade", which can just use 1H styles and a magical glow in the off-hand, or fists which can get away with no motif at all.

Of course, they could surprise us and just add all those styles in retroactively, or they could not bother and just do it for upcoming ones. I find that doubtful, though.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, to add on the the "no more classes thing"; I think a new skill line (like weapons) is the right way to go, purely because class change is not a thing and so many people are unwilling to start again.
    So i think the best way forward would indeed be to treat the 6 classes as the base for your character, with a growing variety of skill lines to further customize them.
    Personally, I think "rune and blade" has strong potential for actually becoming a thing. It could end up being a simple weapon skill line, or they could somehow tie it in with the fabled "spellcrafting" that we often hear about on the forums.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A new dual wield magic based line based around wands, tomes, scrolls and runes would be cool.

Wielded Magic:

Wands (equivalent to maces)
    Tomes (equivalent to swords)
    Runes (equivalent to daggers)
    Scrolls (equivalent to axes)

Skills:
    Actives
    Draw magic
    spammable
    28m range
    Cast this ability to draw essence from your target dealing X magic damage to the target.
    M1:
    Life Shift
    28m range
    Increases damage done, restores health to caster equal to 10% of damage done and applies minor lifesteal to target for 2 seconds.
    M2:
    Essence Shift
    6m radius
    Reduces damage, becomes an AoE around you and restores X Health and magicka to you for each enemy hit. (health and magic restore has 4 second cooldown)
    Runic brace
    buff/debuff
    self cast
    Grants major "Focused Defense" to the caster for X seconds. (Focused defense is a new buff that reduces single target damage taken equivalent to evasion)
    M1:
    Runic Stance
    self cast
    Also grants minor intellect and minor endurance to the caster for the duration and grants a 15% chance to dodge 1 instance of incoming damage for 5 seconds
    M2:
    Runic Focus
    28m range
    No longer grants Focused Defense, instead inflicts X magic damage per second to target over the duration, while target is afflicted with this ability, grants +10% to single target damage done against that target to the caster. Cannot be applied to more than 1 target at a time.
    Sunder
    execute
    28m range
    Deals X magic damage to target, this increases by up to 250% against targets below 40% health.
    M1:
    Delayed Sunder
    28m range
    Increases base damage dealt. No longer scales base damage, instead applies a DoT that deals up to 150% more damage against targets under 100% health.
    M2:
    Sundering Burst
    28m range
    Increases the scaling to up to 350% on targets below 50% health
    Siphon
    DoT
    28m range
    Deals X magic damage over Y seconds to target.
    M1:
    School of Elements
    28m range
    Deals X damage over Y seconds to target. Every 4 seconds the type of damage this ability deals changes (rotates between flame, frost, shock and magic) and has a 20% chance to apply the corresponding status effect (burn, chill, concussed, overcharged respectively).
    M2:
    Cursed Ground
    28m range
    5m radius
    converts to a ground based DoT ability that deals X damage per second and applies the overcharged status once every 6 seconds
    Portal
    Utility/gap closer
    22m range
    teleports the caster to the target dealing X magic damage to the target
    M1:
    Charged Portal
    22m range
    Increases damage done and also inflicts off balance and concussed status effects on target
    M2:
    Reversed Portal
    22m range
    Teleports the target to you instead (triggers CC immunity and won't teleport targets vertically or through LoS)
    Ultimate
    Chaotic magic
    Ultimate
    28m range
    150 ultimate
    Deals base 500 damage of all damage types (bleed, physical, poison, disease, magic, frost, flame and shock) to the target, applying each applicable status effect to the target. (total base damage is slightly lower than leap, 4k for this ability, 4.2k for leap at base)
    M1:
    Chaotic Manifest
    10m Radius
    175 ultimate
    Converts into an AoE ability, dealing damage to all enemies around you, applying each respective status effect and also inflicts off balance on any enemies hit.
    M2:
    Focused Chaos:
    28m range
    7m search radius
    175 ultimate
    This ability chains to nearby enemies dealing 10% increased damage for each previous target hit (max 5 targets). Ability still counts as single target and direct damage.
    Passives
    Noble Spells
    With wielded magic weapons equipped
    Increase damage done with wielded magic abilities to enemies above 75% health by 5/10%

Master Wielder
    While using wielded magic weapons
    Increase damage done by 3/5%

Focused Magic
    Reduce the magicka cost of Wielded Magic abilities by 7/15%

Stacked Magic
    While using Wielded Magic attacks
    Gives you a 2.5% bonus damage done per status effect when attacking targets afflicted with multiple status effects

Single Magic Mastery
    Each Wand equipped increases armor penetration by 1650
    Each Tome equipped increases weapon and spell damage by 142
    Each Rune equipped increases critical chance rating by 812
    Each Scroll equipped increases critical damage done by 6%
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Pole-Arm weapon skill line, split into Halberd, Spear, Pike with different passives depending on which type you're wielding.
  • MurkyWetWolf198
    MurkyWetWolf198
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just have an unarmored skill line So I can punch people to death? Like, it could be a magical punch, but I just wanna punch bosses in the but
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any and all of these sound good to me. I agree they should add a new weapon line. And I don't think they need to worry overly hard about how it'd be implemented... All you need is an animation and a damage number. Is concealed weapon really so different from arterial burst? Is sub assault really so different from curse? You press a button and damage happens.

Okay so after having said all that I think I have a good idea to make it unique, lol. Say they go with 1h and rune/book/whatever. The rune/book could use the basic element type that staves do and by holding that element it could make your light/heavy attacks do that damage type. That'd make some sets have greater use and it'd be easier for sorcs to do shock damage for example.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spear both one handed and two handed
    Crossbow
    Rune
    Throwing stars
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unarmed, so they don't need to update existing motifs.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spear both one handed and two handed
    Crossbow
    Rune
    Throwing stars

CrossBow would be awesome! Low firing rate, great damage, let it do structural damage in PvP (not much, but annoying)
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See? A rune type DW weapon, while one we've never seen in the game wouldn't need to have new motifs, it could be a ranged DW glowy hands weapon that just gives us a destruction magic effect on our hands! Please for the love of God implement this, love magic based toons in this game but hate using a staff or DW weapons...I didn't have to in skyrim!
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of evidence in the game with bosses that H2H and 1H&Spell is feasible. If console is the reason it can't be implemented, I say **** em. They should've got ESO for PC in the first place X) hehe

Seriously, I wonder how much easier it would be for the devs to do bugfixes for us if PC was all they had to be concerned with also...
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Any new weapon they add will have to use already existing motifs. I highly doubt they'd go ahead and make a new model for EVERY motif an style.
    As such, I believe the most likely new weapons are either the often-mentioned "rune and blade", which can just use 1H styles and a magical glow in the off-hand, or fists which can get away with no motif at all.

Of course, they could surprise us and just add all those styles in retroactively, or they could not bother and just do it for upcoming ones. I find that doubtful, though.

You make a good point and a magical glow does sound cool and realistic.

I actually never even thought of the motif situation at all until you mentioned it. I guess this is why its difficult for certain things we want to be added to the game.
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Also, to add on the the "no more classes thing"; I think a new skill line (like weapons) is the right way to go, purely because class change is not a thing and so many people are unwilling to start again.
    So i think the best way forward would indeed be to treat the 6 classes as the base for your character, with a growing variety of skill lines to further customize them.
    Personally, I think "rune and blade" has strong potential for actually becoming a thing. It could end up being a simple weapon skill line, or they could somehow tie it in with the fabled "spellcrafting" that we often hear about on the forums.

Ahh I agree with you on the skill lines and people unwilling to start again (im one of those people lol)

I just watched a youtube video of someone talking about the “spell crafting” rumor and curious to know how that is going to be.
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    A new dual wield magic based line based around wands, tomes, scrolls and runes would be cool.

Wielded Magic:

Wands (equivalent to maces)
    Tomes (equivalent to swords)
    Runes (equivalent to daggers)
    Scrolls (equivalent to axes)

Skills:
    Actives
    Draw magic
    spammable
    28m range
    Cast this ability to draw essence from your target dealing X magic damage to the target.
    M1:
    Life Shift
    28m range
    Increases damage done, restores health to caster equal to 10% of damage done and applies minor lifesteal to target for 2 seconds.
    M2:
    Essence Shift
    6m radius
    Reduces damage, becomes an AoE around you and restores X Health and magicka to you for each enemy hit. (health and magic restore has 4 second cooldown)
    Runic brace
    buff/debuff
    self cast
    Grants major "Focused Defense" to the caster for X seconds. (Focused defense is a new buff that reduces single target damage taken equivalent to evasion)
    M1:
    Runic Stance
    self cast
    Also grants minor intellect and minor endurance to the caster for the duration and grants a 15% chance to dodge 1 instance of incoming damage for 5 seconds
    M2:
    Runic Focus
    28m range
    No longer grants Focused Defense, instead inflicts X magic damage per second to target over the duration, while target is afflicted with this ability, grants +10% to single target damage done against that target to the caster. Cannot be applied to more than 1 target at a time.
    Sunder
    execute
    28m range
    Deals X magic damage to target, this increases by up to 250% against targets below 40% health.
    M1:
    Delayed Sunder
    28m range
    Increases base damage dealt. No longer scales base damage, instead applies a DoT that deals up to 150% more damage against targets under 100% health.
    M2:
    Sundering Burst
    28m range
    Increases the scaling to up to 350% on targets below 50% health
    Siphon
    DoT
    28m range
    Deals X magic damage over Y seconds to target.
    M1:
    School of Elements
    28m range
    Deals X damage over Y seconds to target. Every 4 seconds the type of damage this ability deals changes (rotates between flame, frost, shock and magic) and has a 20% chance to apply the corresponding status effect (burn, chill, concussed, overcharged respectively).
    M2:
    Cursed Ground
    28m range
    5m radius
    converts to a ground based DoT ability that deals X damage per second and applies the overcharged status once every 6 seconds
    Portal
    Utility/gap closer
    22m range
    teleports the caster to the target dealing X magic damage to the target
    M1:
    Charged Portal
    22m range
    Increases damage done and also inflicts off balance and concussed status effects on target
    M2:
    Reversed Portal
    22m range
    Teleports the target to you instead (triggers CC immunity and won't teleport targets vertically or through LoS)
    Ultimate
    Chaotic magic
    Ultimate
    28m range
    150 ultimate
    Deals base 500 damage of all damage types (bleed, physical, poison, disease, magic, frost, flame and shock) to the target, applying each applicable status effect to the target. (total base damage is slightly lower than leap, 4k for this ability, 4.2k for leap at base)
    M1:
    Chaotic Manifest
    10m Radius
    175 ultimate
    Converts into an AoE ability, dealing damage to all enemies around you, applying each respective status effect and also inflicts off balance on any enemies hit.
    M2:
    Focused Chaos:
    28m range
    7m search radius
    175 ultimate
    This ability chains to nearby enemies dealing 10% increased damage for each previous target hit (max 5 targets). Ability still counts as single target and direct damage.
    Passives
    Noble Spells
    With wielded magic weapons equipped
    Increase damage done with wielded magic abilities to enemies above 75% health by 5/10%

Master Wielder
    Increase damage done by 3/5%

Focused Magic
    Reduce the magicka cost of Wielded Magic abilities by 7/15%

Stacked Magic
    While using Wielded Magic attacks
    Gives you a 2.5% bonus damage done per status effect when attacking targets afflicted with multiple status effects

Single Magic Mastery
    Each Wand equipped increases armor penetration by 1650
    Each Tome equipped increases weapon and spell damage by 142
    Each Rune equipped increases critical chance rating by 812
    Each Scroll equipped increases critical damage done by 6%

Great idea i aint even going to lie to you.

I think the only thing I would tweak is the passives for Wand (penetration) and rune (crit chance) just because magic based dps characters (pve im referring to) already get these stats high. I would probably swap one of those with a similar passive to long shot from the bow skill line where you do more damage from a further range
    nb_rich
  • nb_rich
    nb_rich
    ✭✭✭
    I usually try to reply to everyone but don’t want to fill this post up with just me so people can see your ideas, but just want to let you all know you all got great ideas and was good to read what everyone thought
    nb_rich
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been toying around with status builds and the Force of Nature cp recently and one of the major hurdles I've observed when trying to make that setup work when solo is the inability to apply status effects to multiple targets. The setup kind of works ok on pure single targets but the problems start when more targets join, as it becomes a massive resource drain to try and apply status effects to more than one enemy once at a time. Minor Brittle in particular is exceedingly hard to source when solo and the only option is to use an ice staff. With these considerations in mind, I would like to see a new weapon skill line that might allow more sourcing of the 'magical' status effects (burning, concussed, chilled) and perhaps provide better ways to apply status effects and the brittle debuff to multiple targets at once so that we might have more creative options for builds without following the cookie-cutter meta.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I realize the question posed is really asking to people want such a skill line versus whether is it time.

With that, the most likely weapon skill line to be added, if it is ever going to happen, is one that can use the requesting weapon designs due to the sheer effort of having to design a new weapon for each motif in the game. The more motifs involved the more questionable such a change becomes.

• Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I realize the question posed is really asking to people want such a skill line versus whether is it time.

With that, the most likely weapon skill line to be added, if it is ever going to happen, is one that can use the requesting weapon designs due to the sheer effort of having to design a new weapon for each motif in the game. The more motifs involved the more questionable such a change becomes.

I don't think it is that important that they create a motif page for older styles really. They could simply give any new weapon a standard look for everything and only worry about newer motifs. Depending on what it is, it may not even have an in-lore motif in the older styles; Daedric Crescents, for example.

Anyway, motifs are largely irrelevant to me if a new weapon skill line would open up more combat options. There's always the outfit station to override it too.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crossbows? They are lore-friendly and exists in ES lore already.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »

I don't think it is that important that they create a motif page for older styles really. They could simply give any new weapon a standard look for everything and only worry about newer motifs. Depending on what it is, it may not even have an in-lore motif in the older styles; Daedric Crescents, for example.

Anyway, motifs are largely irrelevant to me if a new weapon skill line would open up more combat options. There's always the outfit station to override it too.

I expect some players would not care about having a motif. However, given the extensive design of motifs, a large selection of dies, and the outfit system it is clear customization of the character's appearance is important to the masses. Zenimax knows it needs to cater to the masses as that is where the money is.

• Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there should be an unarmed skill line, but so that you can still complete sets by using the unarmed skill line you should get like bandages/gauntlets/knuckles/etc in this slot.

and if this was made I would really appreciate if they went back and added a design for it for all previous motifs. Any new weapon in my opinion needs to have motif cosmetics in every style.
    Edited by Kappachi on January 6, 2023 3:13AM
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1h and rune would be a great new weapon especially since we really lack magic weapons. Spear is cool and all but we need a new magic focused weapon first.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it is time. Like others it be interesting they either expand unarmed, bring in (physical) spears, 1 hand weapon+spell, & another combative crossbow (unlike the Fighter's Guild one) into the game. For by all, they're all lore friendly by the main series.
    Edited by Clyde_BlueSnake on January 6, 2023 9:06PM
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • Amphithoe
    Amphithoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I would like to see spellcasting/weaving (destruction) or martial arts.
    Guildmaster: School of Julianos
  • Sparxlost
    Sparxlost
    ✭✭✭
    i imagine the best we would get is a one handed skill line because no one is going to make a version of this new weapon for every style motif in the game...
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spear sounds nice, because it could be more than one weapon type. They could add for example "Polearm" weapon skill line and add both Spears and Combat staff, so we could have a hybrid weapon skill line.

Spears could be stamina based, while combat staff would be more like a monk-style quarterstaff that would be primarily for magicka melee builds.

Each weapon ability & passive can have a different effects that would be active depending on what weapon you have equipped. Those could also cost stamina or magicka, depending on the morph you chose.

Also... If we would have a new weapon type, I can imagine it would be hugely beneficial for ZOS as all of the sudden you will have players re-doing older content to get motif pages and set pieces collection.

I don't think that motives would be a huge problem, as they can simply follow the rule: Spears are staffs with daggers on one end, while combat staff is um... a magick staff with decorative staff end, but on both ends.

I can also see them even monetizing it with some kind of "weapon conversion token" that would allow to convert your older weapons types to the new one to get them faster (e.g. for your current build, and the rest you can grind as usual).
  • xXCJsniperXx7
    xXCJsniperXx7
    ✭✭
    For new magic weapons, Conjuration staffs would be a good choice for number of reasons.

1 No motif updating, staffs are covered.

2 models and animations for atronachs and staffs are pre-existing.

3 The staffs would bring a unique choice for elemental builds.

4 Ice dps and tanking would take benefit from it and make thier builds more creative.

5 Pet Sorc builds would have greater choices of skills empowering thier build diversity and also make them viable as a dps build again.
  • w002exp
    w002exp
    ✭✭✭
    For new magic weapons, Conjuration staffs would be a good choice for number of reasons.

1 No motif updating, staffs are covered.

2 models and animations for atronachs and staffs are pre-existing.

3 The staffs would bring a unique choice for elemental builds.

4 Ice dps and tanking would take benefit from it and make thier builds more creative.

5 Pet Sorc builds would have greater choices of skills empowering thier build diversity and also make them viable as a dps build again.

I've thought this too. Would like to see a summon ultimate similar to Warden's bear that summons a permanent Daedra, maybe a flame Atro with Cold Flame atro morph, but I could see an Ice Atro work as well. Can also have different takes of bound weapons and armor so its not just 6 pet skills.

I've also floated the idea of an Illusion Staff. One thing it could do that I think people would be really interested in PvP is provide another means of invisibility/cloak to non NB's. I wouldn't structure it the same (3 seconds individual) but maybe something more expensive and group focused. Other skills could focus around debuffing, evasion, off balance, and clones. (like actual clones that copy your player model not like NB shadow clones--they don't do any damage, die in one hit, and attacking them applies a debuff to you or does damage, maybe works with a taunt as well)
  • Crow_IX
    Crow_IX
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. ESO has enough problems to fix in its current state. Why create more issues? We should be focused on wanting the game fixed and then we should want new things, because at that point the new things will break the game but at least everything else is out the way.
    RIP skill based PvP days. . .