Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about the useability of lower-level crafting materials as you level up crafting

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I started crafting for the first time less than a week ago, and I noticed the trend of crafting materials, received from foraging, looting or writ payments, increasing in quality as I level up the 7 crafting skill lines. The writs follow the same trend, with the required quality of items and their materials increasing as I continue leveling up.

So my question is: will the lower-level crafting materials I accumulate become useless to me, or can I still use them somehow ? If the former, I guess I might as well sell them to guild traders (at least that way others can use the materials I collected).
Edited by vsrs_au on December 21, 2022 11:37PM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you upgrade your crafting abilities and later make another character, you can use those lower level mats to craft gear for them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when people need research items, i usually make them in the level 1 materials instead of burning up more valuable ones

the only ones that will become truly useless for you would be the cp10-cp140 crafting materials, because once you pass those cp levels, future toons will never hit those ranks again, as soon as they hit lvl 50 they become whatever your cp is so you basically skip those like 4 tiers of gear
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the answers, people. I might as well list these lower level items in guild stores when I no longer need them, then.
    Edited by vsrs_au on December 23, 2022 8:45PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Thanks for the answers, people. I might as well list these lower level items in guild stores when I no longer need them, then.

As long as you have the crafting bag you might as well keep them. You never know when you might need them later and they’ll be right there.

I don’t think lower level craft mats sell for much gold anyway.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    My crafting bag is full of stuff I'll never need. I tried to sell them using Tanriel Trade centre prices but no one was buying. There are a lot of items I tried to sell using their prices and they didn't sell
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mesite wrote: »
    My crafting bag is full of stuff I'll never need. I tried to sell them using Tanriel Trade centre prices but no one was buying. There are a lot of items I tried to sell using their prices and they didn't sell

Tamriel Trade Centre is a useful tool, but it only informs you have what people are listing items at, not whether or for how much they actually sell. Items not in demand often sit a long time even at low price. You’re probably better off vendoring low level mats or donating them if you don’t want to keep them in your craftbag.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mesite wrote: »

Tamriel Trade Centre is a useful tool, but it only informs you have what people are listing items at, not whether or for how much they actually sell. Items not in demand often sit a long time even at low price. You’re probably better off vendoring low level mats or donating them if you don’t want to keep them in your craftbag.
    Agreed. However there is one good use for lower level materials: completing craft-related endeavours. I've completed several of these by crafting very low level items.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started crafting for the first time less than a week ago, and I noticed the trend of crafting materials, received from foraging, looting or writ payments, increasing in quality as I level up the 7 crafting skill lines. The writs follow the same trend, with the required quality of items and their materials increasing as I continue leveling up.

So my question is: will the lower-level crafting materials I accumulate become useless to me, or can I still use them somehow ? If the former, I guess I might as well sell them to guild traders (at least that way others can use the materials I collected).

The advice everyone gave here is not entirely correct.

Firstly mats from 1-50 can be used to craft gear (training gear) for your alts as well as help noobs (I craft for noobs for free)
    Secondly the mats, including the 50-160 mats can be used for writs on lower crafting level alts.

Eventually you will get to a point where your main feeds an alt in intricates to level their crafting and this inflates the more alts you have, but in the mean time, you need the lower level mats to slowly get the alt to 50 in crafting.
    Eventually alt feeds alt and you get to a point where all the surveys and gold mats you get from writs lead you to never need to farm again.
    This all relies upon lower level mats.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

Firstly mats from 1-50 can be used to craft gear (training gear) for your alts as well as help noobs (I craft for noobs for free)
    Secondly the mats, including the 50-160 mats can be used for writs on lower crafting level alts.

Eventually you will get to a point where your main feeds an alt in intricates to level their crafting and this inflates the more alts you have, but in the mean time, you need the lower level mats to slowly get the alt to 50 in crafting.
    Eventually alt feeds alt and you get to a point where all the surveys and gold mats you get from writs lead you to never need to farm again.

True, you could do it that way, but mostly I’ve left my alts at baseline until the skill line was maxed and I had extra skill points. I have one main crafter so I’m never in a hurry to level crafting on alts. So I mostly have base and max level mats and keep the in between mats for crafting gear for leveling alts and to help other players.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i ranked up all the crafting skills (except for provisioning/alchemy) on my toons through sheer quantity of items decon, i basically never do actual crafting on toons which are not my main, but all of my other toons maxed out the craft lines which i could decon stuff, and this is not just intricates, its everything i got as drops while playing that i didnt need and had little sell value

sad that we cant decon food and potions too (and yes i believe that since this is elder scrolls and we have magic, we should be able to deconstruct food and potions back into their base ingredients)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True, you could do it that way, but mostly I’ve left my alts at baseline until the skill line was maxed and I had extra skill points. I have one main crafter so I’m never in a hurry to level crafting on alts. So I mostly have base and max level mats and keep the in between mats for crafting gear for leveling alts and to help other players.

You get to max level in the skill by deconning gear, which is why you should dump intricates in the bank and decon on the alt, also get the alt doing the max level gear wirts it possibly can, which also gives inspiration based on the level of the writ, this feeds and gets the alt to max crafting faster, which in turn gets you max level loot and mats, which in turn feed the next alt.

For an example, i have 10 characters all at max level crafting writs, so atm I am just deconning my intricates on my main, but when I create a new character (will create 2 when next class drops) I will have about 8-10intricates per day getting dumped in bank and deconned on the new alt, which will get it to 50 crafting in no time.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have alot of mats in my craft bag and sometimes just to fill selling slots in trader i take out a few stacks with low lvl mats to sell and they do sell pretty good.

Example is Platinum 160cp sells 10k Per stack but the low lvl like 100cp i can sell for 20k on ps5eu.

So if you dont want them put them in trader.