Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Keep chat window from fading?

Jaince
Jaince
Soul Shriven
Hi

The thing that probably annoys me the most is how fast text fades away in the chat window. I'm in the middle of combat, get a whisper and by the time I'm finished it already faded and I miss it.

I found a slider in the settings that keeps the window there, but text still fades, so that's not really helping.

Is there an addon that will keep the text in the chatwindow for longer. Preferably not fade it out at all.
  • Hule
    Hule
    Yes please. I want this too. I want chat window to stay there all the time.
  • Isyldar
    Isyldar
    Chat window could do with some uber extras. Adjust font size/color as well.
  • Furgus
    Furgus
    I must admit I find it distracting, but would appreciate a more flexible set of controls for the chat.
  • Cairenn
    Cairenn
    ✭✭✭
    Wykkyd's Framework has this as one of its options:
    Chat Background - A simpler chat background that sits behind the chat box.
    Cairenn
    Co-founder & Administrator
    ESOUI
  • Axer
    Axer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cairenn wrote: »
    Wykkyd's Framework has this as one of its options:
    Chat Background - A simpler chat background that sits behind the chat box.
    Tried this. Also has no affect on the text fading.

You just get yet another transparent background that stays up, and just looks a lil different. Don't see much point to that option at all as you can do that anyways with the built in options.

I'd like an oldschool plain old non-transparent, non fading chat box personally. Let me play ESO in 1999 mode damnit =)
    Axer. Main tank and Leader of Crush it! (NA-EP highly skilled trials guild)
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plain, solid black box and font with no shadow plz.
  • Rhime
    Rhime
    ✭✭
    Jaince wrote: »
    Hi

The thing that probably annoys me the most is how fast text fades away in the chat window. I'm in the middle of combat, get a whisper and by the time I'm finished it already faded and I miss it.

I found a slider in the settings that keeps the window there, but text still fades, so that's not really helping.

Is there an addon that will keep the text in the chatwindow for longer. Preferably not fade it out at all.

Yes please..:)

• TDKenyon
    TDKenyon
    Soul Shriven
    There is an option, in Settings->Social or Settings->Interface, that says something like "Minimum transparency" for the chat box. I was pretty sure this was working for me when I upped it to 100%. I can not check this at the moment, I am sorry.
    Edited by TDKenyon on April 2, 2014 5:30AM
  • Hule
    Hule
    @TDKenyon sadly this option works only for chat windows, but text is still fading quick.
  • TDKenyon
    TDKenyon
    Soul Shriven
    When the servers are back up, I'll take a look at my settings. I wanted the exact opposite, I couldn't get my chat box or text to fade, so I'll see if I fixed it.

As for text size and color, Settings->Social allows you to change those options.
    Adding new tabs to the chat box is great for groups, guilds, PMs, or NPCs (viewing subtitles in the chatbox)
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    TDKenyon wrote: »
    There is an option, in Settings->Social or Settings->Interface, that says something like "Minimum transparency" for the chat box. I was pretty sure this was working for me when I upped it to 100%. I can not check this at the moment, I am sorry.
    Yes, that is the setting that I mentioned in the OP. I have that set, but it only keeps the window itself there, not the content.
    And to be honest, that doesn't help me at all.

Mind you, I don't mind chat fading in general. If nothing is going on, I'm ok with the chat fading away. But if the delay for it is only 15 seconds it's just not enough.

I don't know enough about the ESO GUI API to know if that's even possible to do
  • Contrabardus
    Contrabardus
    ✭✭
    Yes, seriously. There needs to be a no fade option for chat text. I'd like it to remain so I don't have to constantly go into mouse mode or open and close a window to see what someone just said to me. Put a no chat fade option in the social options menu please.

I don't even know why anyone thought fading chat was a good idea to begin with considering you can set it so the chat minimizes after a short inactivity by not locking it. Fading chat text is redundant.
    Edited by Contrabardus on April 2, 2014 9:01AM
  • eventHandler
    eventHandler
    ✭✭✭
    Jaince wrote: »
    TDKenyon wrote: »
    Yes, that is the setting that I mentioned in the OP. I have that set, but it only keeps the window itself there, not the content.
    And to be honest, that doesn't help me at all.

Mind you, I don't mind chat fading in general. If nothing is going on, I'm ok with the chat fading away. But if the delay for it is only 15 seconds it's just not enough.

I don't know enough about the ESO GUI API to know if that's even possible to do

Yes, its possible. As said before, Wykkyd's mod does do something similar, and anyone can manipulate the chat text to display it in different ways.
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    I'm going to have to take a look at Wykkyd's mod then. Maybe I can even figure out how to do what I want then, by looking at his code.
  • jscamp2_ESO
    jscamp2_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    pChat maybe? I've not used it myself yet, though I just installed it and plan to see what it can do after the servers come up.
  • Edda
    Edda
    ✭✭
    I find this chat fading very crippling as well. Does wykkyd's framework work for the text or no? I already got the chat box not fading, all the good that does with the text still poofing. This is something so basic I should not have to get a mod for.
    “The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.” [Terry Pratchett in Hogfather]
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will see if I can get something for this into my next update of Framework.

Regarding Framework's chat background setting: This existed on PTS prior to the feature being added to the default user interface. I just didn't remove it. Some people still prefer Framework's version.
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    I started using your Framework yesterday, but didn't have too much time to test it.
    I like it a lot, so thank you for the work you put in it. But yes, I don't think it's actually keeping chat from fading at this point. Would be even greater if you'd find a way to make it stick around :smile:
  • Hule
    Hule
    Chat is made from 2 separate things:
    -background
    -text

While you can change background fading, you cannot now change text fading.
    This should be adjustable in game settings. Just like background is.
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should be available via Wykkyd's Framework at some time today (Friday, 4/4/2014)
  • Thomanson
    Thomanson
    Soul Shriven
    Wykkyd, We owe you many beers! Once my chat stays up and I can move default UI elements around, I'll be set. XD
  • Jaince
    Jaince
    Soul Shriven
    Wykkyd wrote: »
    This should be available via Wykkyd's Framework at some time today (Friday, 4/4/2014)
    You're officially my hero now!

• ZOS_ChrisStrasz
    Hello,

You should be able to adjust the font size in the social settings panel. Additionally, the char colors can be modified in that same section. Hope that helps. You can access this via the game menu (hitting Escape).

While the chat does fade the text currently, I'll check to see if this is something we can get in for a future build.
    Chris Strasz
    Lead Gameplay Designer - The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Xaegoth
    Xaegoth
    ✭✭
    I really hope they can implement chat not fading.

This is the single most annoying aspect for me at the moment, in an otherwise awesome game.
  • Aiiane
    Aiiane
    ✭✭✭
    For those that don't want to to use a larger framework like Wykkyd's, I've also published a small streamlined addon to just disable chat fading:

http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info182-NoFade.html
    Aiiane, Aldmeri Dominion, Auriel's Bow, NA ☆ Twitter
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Due to the age of this thread and the fact it may contain outdated information, we have decided to go ahead and close it down. If anyone would like to continue discussion on this subject, please feel free to create a new thread on the topic.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.