The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Does selection of weapon damage force use of weapon critical?

Theignson
Theignson
✭✭✭✭✭
Since hybridization, your skills use the higher of weapon vs spell damage.

On stamsorc, my weapon damage is higher, however, I get minor prophecy which only boosts special critical.

Once the game decides to use my weapon damage, does it then also have to use the weapon critical rating, even though minor prophecy makes the spell critical higher?

Or is it an entirely separate calculation?

Thanks!
Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
Glimson, Arcanist, Major
All EP/ PC NA
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the game should always use whatever is the highest

as weapon/spell dmg and weapon/spell critical are 2 different stats, they should be selected separately for whichever is the highest
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only difficulty with your build is that the 6% crit from Minor Prophecy and the 12% crit from Major Savagery will not stack. This means you'll either need to slot camo hunter for Major Prophecy, or use Spell Crit potions (which only boost Spell Damage and return Magicka). Or you can bring a Nightblade friend for Minor Savagery.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on December 1, 2022 4:32PM
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only difficulty with your build is that the 6% crit from Minor Prophecy and the 12% crit from Major Savagery will not stack. This means you'll either need to slot camo hunter for Major Prophecy, or use Spell Crit potions (which only boost Spell Damage and return Magicka). Or you can bring a Nightblade friend for Minor Savagery.

However-- this is the point of my post. I get Major sorcery/major prophecy as a buff, but my weapon damage is higher than spell damage.
    My spell crit is higher than my weapon crit chance, due to the minor prophecy buff.

So the question was: are these independent? If the games uses my weapon damage, can it still use the spell crit rating to calculate the chance of critting?

It seems the answer is yes although not a lot of people have weighed in on this, lol
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they are independent, you can use spell crit and weapon damage for any skill. Just an issue because no potions exist to give spell crit + weapon damage + restore stamina.