The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

I have square brain...

Malkiv
Malkiv
✭✭✭✭✭
You know that feeling in which you have when you've done something unsmart? I had one of those epipens this morning. Buckle in for ESO end-game story time - WITH PICTURES!

So, back on the day U35 launched, one of my addons completely broke. It was Alpha Gear; it broke and my poor 3080 Ti struggled with 20 FPS because the add-on was generating thousands of errors a minute. Pfffft, I don't need Alpha Gear, I'll just use Dressing Room! And so I did, very successfully - I was a gear-swappin' maniac! Two of my guilds require you to post new parses every major content patch to show that you're being a good worker bee, and so I did a parse. Yay, 100k club with swapping literally 0 gear and 0 skills from U34!
7hAmZ8Fm.jpg ZQGu1d4m.jpg

I was in a vRG group a few days (~week) later, and noticed that my DPS was not reflecting where my performance should be landing after the U35 patch; I was down almost 15k DPS from my projected in-content damage! I whispered the trial leader, let them know that I recognized the issue and would work on my performance. They were completely okay, because it was still within the first week of a major combat change update.

After the Trial, I went back to my house and parsed with many different sets and many different skill swaps. I was barely pushing 87k on a training dummy on my best runs, and just managing to break 80k on my worst. I was so confused; How did my damage change this much? How did I get so far from my projections? Was the day one U35 parse just a fluke? The best assumption I could come up with - dummies were somehow broken on day one, but were hot patched sometime between day one and the Trial. I wanted to investigate further, but many things - mostly just being extremely busy at work - took me away from the game until last week.

Up until yesterday, I would log in on one of my healers, run a random normal dungeon for the xmutes and lols. Yesterday, Scale Caller Peak was the DLC pledge, and I was so excited! I love SCP with all my sweaty heart, and I believe it has some of the best mechanics in the entire game. On the final boss, the PUG wanted to do HM, so I went to swap into healer gear specifically for that fight (I had been using SPC and Gossamer up until then). Oops!, I didn't have Dressing Room set up for this healer, and AlphaGear wasn't installed any more! It was fine, we cleared the HM, one of the randos got Peak Performance out of it, and I went to see if AlphaGear had an update. It didn't but I installed it and tried it anyways, and it worked just fine - because of course it did.

So this morning, I am setting up AlphaGear on my toons, and when I log into my Sorc - which I had last played as my main DPS that suffered a huge DPS loss - as mentioned earlier - and I got a message in chat: "Your mainhand weapon has been recharged. Your offhand weapon has been recharged." I swapped bars: "Your mainhand weapon has been recharged." I WAS PLAYING WITH LACK OF CHARGES, because I had relied so much on AlphaGear to recharge that I literally forgot that was even a thing! I immediately parsed, and even with unperfect traits for my monster helm, I got this:
sNzn5Dbm.jpg k1oqnwYm.jpg

It was the charges all along. Remember to always charge your weapons, I guess?

Note: The repair icons were brought up a couple times in replies, thusly: "I have a UI add-on in which I have a lot of the default UI hidden in favour of a much cleaner, centered UI. I have the repair icons hidden, because I guess I just always assumed I'd have AlphaGear and would never need to worry about manual repair/recharge."
Credit to Ice Cream Sandwich for introducing me to square brain, and the art of being confused.
Edited by Malkiv on November 30, 2022 4:30PM
PC-NA | PvP (Gray Host & BGs) | PvE (vTrials & vDGs)
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Partly your responsibility, partly the responsibility of the trial leader. I noticed early on when DressingRoom stopped recharging (at least I'm pretty sure it used to), so I got a different add-on that recharged automatically.

I see the soul charge message all the time, but I still check when the trial leader says "Check your gear, charges, food, [etc]."

Honestly I'm guilty of taking it for granted, but it should maybe be a base game feature
  • Malkiv
    Malkiv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Honestly I'm guilty of taking it for granted, but it should maybe be a base game feature

I agree with that! It made sense to implement manual recharge as a mechanic before the change to soul gems, because there were different "grades". Now that you have two options - crown or regular - which both fully refill charges, it makes less sense to require manual recharge as a mechanic.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malkiv wrote: »
    I had one of those epipens this morning.

You shouldn't play around with epipens.

Edited by Grizzbeorn on November 30, 2022 4:29PM
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • fizl101
      fizl101
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      As a console player, can i ask what may be an obvious question. Didn't you see the red weapon icon at the bottom of your screen to show you were out of charge?
      Soupy twist
    • Troodon80
      Troodon80
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There's an icon to display when your weapon charge has depleted or when your gear is broken, default location is to the left of the Quickslot?

@Troodon80 PC | EU
      Guild: N&S
      Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
      Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
    • Malkiv
      Malkiv
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      fizl101 wrote: »
      As a console player, can i ask what may be an obvious question. Didn't you see the red weapon icon at the bottom of your screen to show you were out of charge?

That is a fine question, of which I'd enjoy elaborating on. I have a UI add-on in which I have a lot of the default UI hidden in favour of a much cleaner, centered UI. I have the repair icons hidden, because I guess I just always assumed I'd have AlphaGear and would never need to worry about manual repair/recharge.
    • fizl101
      fizl101
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Malkiv wrote: »

That is a fine question, of which I'd enjoy elaborating on. I have a UI add-on in which I have a lot of the default UI hidden in favour of a much cleaner, centered UI. I have the repair icons hidden, because I guess I just always assumed I'd have AlphaGear and would never need to worry about manual repair/recharge.

It has tickled me :)

As a Friday night drunk trials lead, its automatic to remind the slightly pickled players to check food, gear and charges - and to be laughed at for being bossy!

Don't forget for next time!
      Soupy twist
    • Malkiv
      Malkiv
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Don't forget for next time!

I cannot make any promises, but I have re-enabled the repair icons!
    • Necrotech_Master
      Necrotech_Master
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      i dont think ive ever use auto-recharge from the several addons i have that are capable of doing so lol, i dont feel its really necessary

i do miss when that one green CP passive was 100% chance to not consume weapon charges when it was maxed out :D
      plays PC/NA
      handle @Necrotech_Master
      active player since april 2014
    • Malkiv
      Malkiv
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      i do miss when that one green CP passive was 100% chance to not consume weapon charges when it was maxed out :D

I'm glad that I get at least a 50% chance in it's current iteration, because selling unused/unneeded soul gems is a nice little cash boon!