Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why not just update old textures instead of making new "ancestral" motifs?

FelisCatus
FelisCatus
✭✭✭✭
Instead of releasing "ancestral" hd retextures of old motifs why not just update the old motifs textures rather than creating new motifs that are the exact same as the original just with high resolution. Seems like a way to make players grind for and gold sink for nothing entirely "new".
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't sell new content with old item retextures in old zones. It's also completely new meshes, textures etc. and the only thing that's old about them is an art direction. Game bloat sucks but that's probably the only "new" things they can safely add nowadays looking at past couple years.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of us like the old ones more.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This. Some people like the older motifs, have them integrated into their looks that wouldn't work with new textures, or hell, some probably even paid for them in real money back in the day.

I noticed that as a policy ZOS doesn't change cosmetics that are already out and about, unless they're fixing significant bugs.

EDIT: Significant bug fixes. =)
    Edited by Michae on November 30, 2022 8:21AM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They give purpose to maps mostly IMO
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    cause then some ppl would complain about how much they miss the old designs . 'zos u ruined my outfit GrRr!1!' :#
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to say some people like the old ones as well. I not only use some of the original racial motifs but use the lower level versions because they're plainer. I wouldn't want that overwritten with a more ornate version just because its newer.

IMO more choice is almost always better than being restricted to someone else's preferred version of a design, so if it's possible to have both in the game together (and it obviously is) I prefer that to losing one to have it replaced with another.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the old ones more, just make the ancestral pages easier to get than they are now.
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos got a lot of backlash for changing the orcish and redguard motifs back in the day, and they noted they wont do updates like that again to existing art. A shame as the original redguard motif was better.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about adding these revised styles as rewards for quests, such as House Hexos, instead of having this infuriating treasure map system that players have been complaining about for a long time?
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn't even realize that's all the ancestral motifs were.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally can't see why. The original Motif styles are nothing but retextures of the character model, they don't add their own Meshes to the body like the new styles do. Putting on Breton gloves was basically just making your hands have gloves for skin.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to start seeing battle worn armor. Same styles we have now but with dents, slashes, rips, stains and an assortment of other things that shows we've been in a scrap or two.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I personally can't see why. The original Motif styles are nothing but retextures of the character model, they don't add their own Meshes to the body like the new styles do. Putting on Breton gloves was basically just making your hands have gloves for skin.

It's the simple and plain part. I don't need to look like a godslayer but okay with his be commoner walking around
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's the right move, tbh. I've gotten so much life out of the base game motifs, there's a charm in where they are. I can imagine there's probably some technical differences from the ancestral ones beyond resolution. The more the merrier when it comes to motifs.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The new motifs are something else to grind for. Also something they can sell in the crown store for those not interested in grinding or do not play enough to obtain the gold to buy it from other players.
  • kyatos_binarini
    kyatos_binarini
    ✭✭✭
    Because updating old content doesn’t bring money
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Because updating old content doesn’t bring money

Sad really, however doesn't stop other game devs from different games.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They like to torture people with bad rng.
  • PrinceShroob
    PrinceShroob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FelisCatus wrote: »
    Instead of releasing "ancestral" hd retextures of old motifs why not just update the old motifs textures rather than creating new motifs that are the exact same as the original just with high resolution. Seems like a way to make players grind for and gold sink for nothing entirely "new".

It's not true that the Ancestral motifs are merely "HD retextures"--they have updated meshes, as well, which affects how they fit on characters and how the various parts layer.

For example, compare Imperial Tier 5 light armor with House Hexos light armor. Although the design of the House Hexos robe is obviously taken from the base game Imperial style, it does not perfectly replicate it (for example, the original robe has an additional sash around the waist). Some of the Ancestral styles also dye differently than their base game counterparts. And in the case of Ancient Daedric, it's completely different from the base game Daedric motif.

Additionally, Ancestral styles only have a single "tier" while the base game racial styles have multiple. Replacing the original racial styles would replace all base game NPCs' gear with the "fanciest" version.

I think it's prudent to make Ancestral styles and the base game styles separate. The method of obtaining them is a different discussion.
    Edited by PrinceShroob on December 2, 2022 8:29PM
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FelisCatus wrote: »

It's not true that the Ancestral motifs are merely "HD retextures"--they have updated meshes, as well, which affects how they fit on characters and how the various parts layer.

I like both of these posts, and they gave me an idea: We have many more tiers of crafting materials than visuals, so it would be neat if the designs for ancestral styles had been added as a final tier for the original styles, tied to higher levels of crafting similar to the existing skill and style progression, and used to replace the outfits of NPCs who would wear more elaborate clothing and armor. The outfit system of course would allow players to choose their preference: old and charming, or new and elaborate.

The caveat is that if they'd done it that way to begin with they would have needed to have 7 more racial style updates ready from the very beginning, not just High Elves, Orcs, and Nords.