The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

DPS Vet Queues are longer than ever

spartaxoxo
spartaxoxo
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
zvloqy2e6rc6.jpg

If you want to see a good example of the damage U35 did, this was my queue time during the event for an event dungeon (CT) during an otherwise busy time. I ended up having to get guildmates to help, had no choice.

By the way, you wonder why so many queue dodgers are in the activity finder? I present Exhibit A.
Edited by spartaxoxo on November 29, 2022 7:16PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not exactly a great time to be a tank right now with the block bug. If they get that fixed it might help a bit, but there are so many factors at play here. Even on a good day, there will be fewer tanks and healers in the queue than dps. Sometimes the queue bugs in at least a few different ways as well.

If ZOS wants a healthy, fast queue for players, they need to take a good look at all those factors and work on it. I suspect it's likely not a high priority though.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not exactly a great time to be a tank right now with the block bug. If they get that fixed it might help a bit, but there are so many factors at play here. Even on a good day, there will be fewer tanks and healers in the queue than dps. Sometimes the queue bugs in at least a few different ways as well.

If ZOS wants a healthy, fast queue for players, they need to take a good look at all those factors and work on it. I suspect it's likely not a high priority though.

I agree. I think some of it is the block bug, although when my healer and DPS guild mate queued with me, we got matched with a tank instantly. So, I don't think that's the whole story. I think a lot of people are also giving vet content a break. I had hoped there would at least be increased interest during the event due to double drops, but nope.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 29, 2022 7:39PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

I agree. I think some of it is the block bug, although when my healer and DPS guild mate queued with me, we got matched with a tank instantly. So, I don't think that's the whole story. I think a lot of people are also giving vet content a break. I had hoped there would at least be increased interest during the event due to double drops, but nope.

As far as the event and double drops go, I would assume a large number of people would stick to the normal queue for faster dungeons (and queues) and an easier path to sticker completion.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're going that long it's probably broken. On my DD I've never hit an hour.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as the event and double drops go, I would assume a large number of people would stick to the normal queue for faster dungeons (and queues) and an easier path to sticker completion.

Yeah. But let's pretend normally 50 people run in that time frame. And now 50 more are there specifically because of the event. I'd expect like 45 of them to go to normal and 5 more to do vet, for at least a marginal increase in the vet participation. It's how has appeared to work for me in the past. Pledge days, events, and whenever a mask is dropping usually were decent times to do a vet dungeon I wanted to do. But, it wasn't this time.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on November 29, 2022 8:02PM
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    double drops on are not enough to encourage vet pugs. As you say, people only queue for vets to do the pledge, get a style page, or get the monster set, and the latter usually waits until pledge day.

Castle Thorn also has the bonus problem of the final boss bug and no in demand sets.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Waited 15 mins for a dps replacement and none showed up

Say it with me something is wrong with group finder since they messed with it in update 33.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zvloqy2e6rc6.jpg

If you want to see a good example of the damage U35 did, this was my queue time during the event for an event dungeon (CT) during an otherwise busy time. I ended up having to get guildmates to help, had no choice.

By the way, you wonder why so many queue dodgers are in the activity finder? I present Exhibit A.

It's because queue isn't finding replacements properly anymore. I have said it time and again
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Normally we run at least a random vet and the vet DLC. I have stopped queueing altogether.

That said, I think there is another issue plaguing the group finder. Prior to the block bug if I invited a friend (DPS or healer) and I queued us, we would have a wait. 24 minutes was the longest. Using the same person in group, if we swapped lead to them and queued, it would be instant, or very close to it. We repeated this several dozen times over the course of a few weeks, so it wasnt a one-time fluke.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will say, as a tank, I don't queue.

A lot of tanks I know are tired of running PUGs - we have low damage output so we can't carry a low damage group, and there are a lot of DLC dungeons with unforgiving mechanics that a lot of people think they can skip if they have enough damage (spoiler alert: they don't). And yeah, there's a lot of toxicity that comes from that as well. I remember I got kicked from a group in Darkshade II once because I "wasn't holding aggro" because the DPS kept throwing everything they had at the boss while it was floating (and reflecting damage) and trying to ignore the adds, and then one of them just ran around the room with the netchlings and I was constantly out of resources trying to chain them all in one by one.

I will not run a dungeon unless I know at least one other person in there, and preferably more than one.

The block bug is also catastrophic to tanks as well. Many have now figured out how to survive through it, but none of us want to deal with a bunch of "omg fake tank [expletive stream]" when it's the game that made us drop block because we were bashing or roll dodging something.

So yeah, way fewer tanks in queue. And of course, U35 means a lot fewer people in queue in the first place.

Not to mention all of the "I'll drop if I get a DLC" people. I don't agree with the argument that "DLCs are longer" since you can do like two whole Falkreaths in the time it takes to do one City of Ash II (yes, Maarselok is an outlier), but the DLCs definitely have more punishing mechanics. There are too many people who think 'Random Normal' means '10 transmutes for FGI speedrun.' I don't agree that a DLC/non-DLC switch will solve that issue (because then you'll get more people in the 'basegame speedrun' category and even fewer in the DLC category, but I think what needs to happen is a change in the reward system - if we got transmutes based on the dungeon we did (like the 10 transmutes came from a DLC, and you only got like 3 from a basegame or 1 from Fungal 1), then there might be more people wanting to run DLCs.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    double drops on are not enough to encourage vet pugs. As you say, people only queue for vets to do the pledge, get a style page, or get the monster set, and the latter usually waits until pledge day.

Castle Thorn also has the bonus problem of the final boss bug and no in demand sets.

I never do Normals because I am completely intolerant of fake tanks, which I rarely find in Vet. So I exclusively run vet dungeons regardless of whether it's the pledge or any of the other reasons you listed.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm seeing longer queues as tank. I just assumed it was bc the game population has dropped.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

I never do Normals because I am completely intolerant of fake tanks, which I rarely find in Vet. So I exclusively run vet dungeons regardless of whether it's the pledge or any of the other reasons you listed.
    Do you queue for specific dungeons or random vets? Do you solo queue as a dps?

I've tried solo queuing random vets as a dps, the queue always takes a while and I almost always end up in a base game dungeon, or a mask drop one, sometimes the DLC pledge. I've tried queueing for specific DLCs as a dps to get a monster set and gave up because the queue never popped. Even queuing as a (real) tank or healer for specific non-pledge non-mask dlc dungeons on vet can take quite a bit.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Been a long time since a queued but I've never stayed in any queue that long. If longer than 5 minutes, I exit and requeue, if longer than 10-15 minutes, I don't bother.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had issues as non-dps as well. Healer queues sometimes work, sometimes are long, sometimes don't work. Tank queues sometimes don't work either, even with leaving queue and re-queueing, which sometimes makes the queue pop for some reason.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CrashTest wrote: »
    I'm seeing longer queues as tank. I just assumed it was bc the game population has dropped.

I don't think it's pulling dps properly. Been in queue over 10 mins with tank and healer.

• boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet trials are in the same boat. Tanks don't wanna run 'em right now...
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos have to increase rewards for vet contents. Why queue for vet when we have the same amount of xp, undaunted keys (good luck if you try HM with pugs) and just 5 transmute crystals?
    PC-EU
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really pug these days. Going as a dps takes forever, going as a tank has a risk of getting fake dps (I insta quit if I get them). I have more fun running these dungeons solo anyway.
  • phlupp89
    phlupp89
    ✭✭
    What annoys me most about the queue atm: If I go as a tank I'll most likely get a group instantly. If I queue as a tank for the same dungeon(s) while being in a group with a dps or even a healer it will take a lot longer.
    That's if we get a group at all.
    I just want to run these dungeons with my buddy .... :'(
  • deleted221205-002626
    deleted221205-002626
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say, as a tank, I don't queue.

if we got transmutes based on the dungeon we did (like the 10 transmutes came from a DLC, and you only got like 3 from a basegame or 1 from Fungal 1), then there might be more people wanting to run DLCs.

I agree many tanks not queuing atm from block bug but im not sure greater reward for vet content is better because it draws in the wrong crowd! Thats what causes the quick run for xmutes or cp100 trying to xp or grind purple mats etc. None of them are there for the dungeon.

IMO vet shud have less XP than normal to weed out the crew trying to use them to level. That be a good start

Ideally the only people queuing for vet dungeon should be people there for masks for gear tuning and those capable and willing to do or try hardmodes for achieves, not cp100 xp grind and getting carried etc.

NORMAL should be for xp grind and stickerbook farming
    VET should be for masks and those looking for real challenge and achieves

ALSO id support the idea if like "group summon stones" or something available on every merchant for cheap to take the complication and load off the system having to think about these things... Use the item and anyone not within a respectable range gets pulled right to you! So you can be prepared for battle not pull after pull and they take several moments to get oriented mid fight which could end in a wipe anyway!
    Edited by deleted221205-002626 on November 30, 2022 10:29AM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I mean the population has actually gone up...
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »
    Zos have to increase rewards for vet contents. Why queue for vet when we have the same amount of xp, undaunted keys (good luck if you try HM with pugs) and just 5 transmute crystals?

Yeah I have no clue why the vet rewards are the same for normal random. They should be at least doubled.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Do you queue for specific dungeons or random vets? Do you solo queue as a dps?

I've tried solo queuing random vets as a dps, the queue always takes a while and I almost always end up in a base game dungeon, or a mask drop one, sometimes the DLC pledge. I've tried queueing for specific DLCs as a dps to get a monster set and gave up because the queue never popped. Even queuing as a (real) tank or healer for specific non-pledge non-mask dlc dungeons on vet can take quite a bit.

I queue for random vets as dps or heals, typically. As dps my wait is never longer than 10 minutes, as heals it's usually a minute. When I queue in a group the wait is considerably longer unless a tank is with us. I have honestly never experienced this extremely long wait you're talking about though. If I need a specific DLC dungeon I queue up as heals and my longest wait has been around 15 minutes.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jecks33 wrote: »

Yeah I have no clue why the vet rewards are the same for normal random. They should be at least doubled.

if all rewards were doubled, that would make the overall quality of players probably drop

normal should be giving more xp, while vet should give more transmutes would be a better balance
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A few days ago I tried random normal queue as a tank, after 20 min I gave up. And that's as a tank. Just six months ago a tank or healer would be put into group with the group finder instantly. And this was just for a normal level, not even vet.

Basically now days if you don't pre-form your group, it ain't happening it seems.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On PS-NA, I run healer most nights (EST) and it's taking me forever to get into any vet dungeon when I queue for specific ones. Normal randoms seem to queue pretty quickly most of the time, but normal specifics are taking longer too.
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Post U35 has been mixed for me as a healer. Sometimes it’s an insta pop and others I’m doing crafting writs and surveys fora while waiting for a pop. Pre-U35 it was always insta-pop
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave up tanking after u35. I rather watch paint to dry than pugs humping every boss for 10 min.
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a reminder for some people:

1. If you have only 1 DD in the group, they need to queue. Why? Who knows! We suspect, but we don't know. 2 DD's it doesn't matter which role queues but the queue system is bad.
    2. If you're queuing and the group fails to launch (someone declines or whatnot) then do NOT simply sit there and hope it's not bugged. Especially as a healer if you queue, it fails, and you sit there... you'll stay sitting there for much longer than if you leave the queue and re-join (sometimes to an instant group). Again, why? Who knows!
    3. Replacements do not seem to ever get selected fast enough - the dungeon finder is poorly written code that pales in comparison to WoW and Swtors efforts, just truly terrible design. Part of this is probably because pledges will not complete for partial runs. Bad design? Yes. Other games would manage it without incident by giving a warning about the group 'being in progress' but not ESO, nope. It's not a real MMO like that! *snicker*

With the block bug in effect, I've stopped pugging vet dungeons because it's not worth the hassle to overcome. I'll occasionally heal one on my new DK healer to test her out but realistically, I'm not interested until block is fixed since I only do vets for the chance at monies from motifs and style pages.