Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Ranged Class & Build

Jeddahwe
Jeddahwe
✭✭✭
Hi,

I would like to focus on ranged game play, is that something possible in this game? My preference is PvP and was hoping I could use a bow and play as Imperial but I have no idea what class to choose...
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer (wood elf) racial does give you 15% experience on that weapon, but it sounds like Imperial is your chosen race.

Skill trees and passives will help you though irrelevant of race. Have a look here at this skill calculator: http://esohead.com/calculator/skills

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    So as a ranged bow player does it matter what class I choose? Nightblade?
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, ultimately you can do it all, as in the other elder scrolls games. At least I hope so!
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Cave_Canem
    Cave_Canem
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running a bow build with Templar as class, they have a great ranged knock back plus some other ranged damage. In beta I got some mileage out of nightblade and siphon class skills, I suspect there's some synergy for all classes depending on how you want to play, ie offensively, some defense some heals, some stealth, etc. I'd say examine how you emjoy playing MMO's and pick a class to suit that plus of course spend loads of points in bow skills.
    Edited by Cave_Canem on March 31, 2014 7:41AM
  • Zerl
    Zerl
    ✭✭✭
    Any class can use any set of weapons, so it's really a case of looking through the skills of each class to see what really suits your playstyle best.

If you are looking towards playing the stereotypical ranger, then it'll most likely be the Nightblade that you are looking to play with. You may want to consider looking through the Siphoning skill line, as (in my opinion) the skills available compliment the bow the most out of the 3.

Although I must stress, that it doesn't mean that the other 2 skill lines (or any other class for that matter) are inferior. I'm simply basing my opinion on my playstyle, and others may find other skill lines (or classes) far more suited to their playstyle.
  • Jeddahwe
    Jeddahwe
    ✭✭✭
    The leveling experience with NB+Bow+Heavy Armor has been much less effort and stress than Sorcerer+Light Armor+Destruction Staff
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar works really well at low levels with a bow because of the level one Templar skill sun fire which is a very powerful dot and a snare. It can be upgraded to a aoe snare/dot as well.

I like my bow wielding Nightblade, but enemies just die much faster at range on my Templar, it might change at higher levels though.
  • Invisioblack
    Invisioblack
    ✭✭✭
    Jeddahwe wrote: »
    The leveling experience with NB+Bow+Heavy Armor has been much less effort and stress than Sorcerer+Light Armor+Destruction Staff

This is sooo true. I am walking through content I used to have to work for on my Sorc. It's like going from "Hard" to "Easy"
  • Yasha
    Yasha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jeddahwe wrote: »

This is sooo true. I am walking through content I used to have to work for on my Sorc. It's like going from "Hard" to "Easy"

Sorcerers actually make amazing archers, you should grab your Sorc and try it with a bow. Mage's fury (morph to endless fury), encase, boundless storm, plus some bow skills.