Someone recently took issue with the name of "Telvanni Peninsula" for the land mass in Morrowind. He said that the devs "should do away with the ridiculously inaccurate and unimaginative name for the region." He also took issue with the emphasis on the Telvanni in the region and that it should have as much emphasis on the Indoril because of the location of Necrom. I have had people challenge me on canon and lore but I was kind of taken aback by it considering who it was.
Edited by brylars on November 28, 2022 8:32PM
I decided to do a quick look into these issues to see what I could find:
1. As far as I could tell there isn't a definite boundary between Telvanni lands and Indoril lands in the peninsula. I believe it could be a fair assumption the Telvanni could control quite a bit considering its location between Azura's Coast where the Council seat is located and the Telvanni islands where their capital, Port Telvannism is located. Also considering the canon description of the terrain (mountainous, badlands, and steep cliff) who would want the area except thos who want to be isolated.
2. Mods like Tamriel Rebuilt have used the name "Telvanni Peninsula" for the region since TES III was released.
3. Many within the player base use "Telvanni Peninsula" for the region.
4. The region is never named, as far as I can tell, in any of the PC games. Its geography is briefly described and two locations, Firewatch and Port Telvanni, are mentioned in TES III.
5. "Telvanni Peninsula" is used once in the book The Second Akaviri Invasion, a lorebook in ESO. Otherwise "Telvanni Coast" is used. The context suggests "Telvanni Coast" is not in reference to Azura's Coast.
6. In an interview shortly after ESO's release, Lawrence Schick, the Loremaster for ZOS, called the region "Telvanni Peninsula."
I have to admit the name "Telvanni Peninsula" is a bit odd as we do not have any other location that is named in such a way. There is not Redoran Highlands or Indoril Plains. It has been tradition to call this region that for years, maybe two decades. We know what someone is talking about when they call it that.
Since we have Azura's Coast, do we call it Boethiah's Peninsula? Then we call the islands Mephala's Archipelago?
Genuinely curious as to what you all think.