The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New to active making/copying a Build, how do you do?

OtakuOfMe
OtakuOfMe
✭✭
Always shied away from actively looking outing for sets etc., hence never got any interesting or strong builds, just using what was there at the same time and intriguing enough.
Currently being a bit more serious with it. My gf is my healer, so I wanted to concentrate on DPS more to make up for it. Just got the Oakensoul Ring (which was a pain and got lucky with the RNG), as I never really used my backhand anyway anymore. So I looked around once more online about ideas for magicka necromancers, this time specifically for one-bar ones.
Just from the looks something like this sounds like a lot of fun (as reference only, hope that is okay. https://arzyelbuilds.com/eso-one-bar-magicka-necromancer-dps-build/ )
Though it also brought back my anxiety where to even start getting it or how on Nirn you achieve getting such stuff? Of course there is alternatives to trial stuff. But than no one got it on the traders or too expensive that I ever could buy it. Is grinding the only option and how long does that take? I made one try for one set piece to see that a boss drops a green thing and of course than depends on armor type and piece. Its not that I have a long time for it either while we stream our questing.
It just demotivates me everytime I look at it, in that regard I am still a noob I guess.

Any tips or estimates are appreciated.

• Durete
    Durete
    ✭✭
    Farming gear in ESO is relatively easy in compared to other mmo's.

This is due to the stickerbook and transmute system.
    You'll generally gain gear that you don't have unlocked in your stickerbook system yet when farming a dungeon or trial. so eventually you'll get the items you want.

Traditional setups usually had:
    2x monster set,
    5x DPS set
    5x Sustain set
    An arena weapon.

Alternatively you can replace 1 5x set, or a monster set for a mythic item. (such as oakensoal, harpooners kilt etc.)

Nowadays sustain isn't that much of an issue anymore, so people generally build:
    2x monster set
    5x Dps set
    5x Dps set
    backbar using a vMA greatsword (for the stampede dot/aoe)

You could use a mythic item however it's not the "best" anymore.

It really doesn't matter that much which dps sets you use really. the difference is a few %%.
    You could simply start with 2x zaan(Monster set), 5x Julianos(Crafted set) 4x New moon acolyte (crafted set) or mother's sorrow(Overland set) and oakensoal (because you want a 1 bar build)

Alternatively 1x Monster set that gives base stats such as extra magicka, or crit chance. 5x Julianos 5x mother's sorrow/new moon acolyte, and oakensoal.

That gives you a good basis, from there you can farm other gear that you want such as the gear suggested there, but to be frankly for 99% of the content that setup would be sufficient.
    A good replacement set that doesn't require trials would be pillar of nirn, (which would replace julianos in this case)

Skill bar wise;

Generally back bar= full of aoe/dots/buffs.
    Front bar= more dots, 1x spammable 1x Execute, sometimes depending on classs a "Procable high dmg skill" such as blastbones for necromancer or bow for nightblade. and some skills that passively boost your dps, such as "Camouflaged hunter" or "inner light".

As a 1 bar build you need to make your build much more compact.
    So generally you'll have 2-3 dots, 1 spammable, a class procable if applicable (for necro that'd be your blastbones)

I'd personally do the build a bit different than what azryal suggests. as I would make it;

- Avid boneyard (Aoe/dot)
    - stalking blastbones (Proc dmg)
    - Ricochet skull (Main spammable) alternatives are; force pulse(bit more aoe dmg, less single target dmg), or elemental weapon(easier on sustain, but lower dmg)
    - Skeletal arcanist (Sustain+dot dmg)
    - Detonating siphon (Aoe dmg)
    - Ult: Colossus.

If you have problems with sustain you could potentially use hungry scythe instead of ricochet skull, it gives more aoe damage and allows you to use the passives of bone tyrant, which gives extra health, magicka/stamina regen healing received and the skill itself heals you as well. however it requires you to be in melee range, and it's less single target dps than ricochet skull. so I'd only use that in aoe heavy fights/in places where you need the extra survivability. in most cases simply using ricochet skull is better.

As for rotation/skill priority; Always keep your arcanist up, keep your dots up, activate blastbones whenever it's available (after every 2 casts)
    And when no other skills need refreshing/blastbones isn't available use ricochet skull.

Always use a light or heavy attack before each attack. I'd suggest just going inferno staff. since it is ranged and does good damage. (Technically daggers are higher damage, however you'd need to be in melee range to use the light/heavy attacks. so inferno staff is a lot more beginner friendly.)

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless your immediate goal is Hard Mode Vet Trials, you dont need the top gear in any build list. The craftable or zone farmed choices will get you through 100% of the Normal Content and 98% of the Vet Dungeon content. Some Vet Trials are doable with this gear, but you will, hopefully be acquiring the better gear doing the trials and DLC dungeons for all the rest.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Start off with gear you can get and use it to work up to gear you want. For instance, that build says Whorl and Order's Wrath. Order's Wrath is craftable, so that's easy. Whorl is from Dreadsail Reef. You can get a non-perfected set on normal that works just fine. A solid non-trial set is Deadly Strike, which you can buy from guild traders. Or Frostbite, as that build suggests. Frostbite is pretty cheap.

The real key to DPS is not gear, however. Its your rotation. You can have the best gear in the game, and someone who has a better rotation can out-hit your with base sets. That is not to say gear plays no role, it does, but the improvement you see from top sets is much larger with a solid rotation than a junky one.
  • OtakuOfMe
    OtakuOfMe
    ✭✭
    sorry for late reply
    Thx for all the tips. The linked build was more an "over the top" example, cause it sounds fun mechanically.
    I am not good at keeping the speed, but general rotation I usually do.
    And yeah, its not that I would jump into vet content like that suddenly. My current set up I tried (if i am not levelling a skill that replaces syphon) is Skull, Blastbones, Boneyard, scythe and syphon. the first 3 are no brainer and works fine. i only use scythe as it is very handy for groups despite the range, but both that and syphon feel totally replaceable for group dungeon (on average so far at least). one i would totally replace with arcanist.

when i saw the mentioned build I only realised 2 things I found interesting.
    1) the crit effect and together with the ring the potential for more damage with it maybe
    2) that necro has quite some frost going on and rocking the high isle frost staff since a while and just refreshing after i used flame for a long time (not much a friend of shock somehow).

as my gf is leveling clothing she probably can craft me the sets in the future except jewelery/weapons.
    if i got with crit and spell dam. than the moon acolyte and julianos do sound cool to test. (deadly strike too, but do u buy or craft it in cyrodiil?)
    I thought about Frostbite. if its cheap, i should check it out.

thx again! :)