Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How I would rebalance some unused sets for fun

TheDarkRuler
TheDarkRuler
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello there, a friend of mine and me recently had a fun discussion on Discord. How would we make some trash sets usable in ESO but without making them overpowered. We had a few ideas and I honestly liked almost all of them and that's why I am posting it here (perhaps they even make it to live, you never know :wink: )

Infernal Guardian
What is this set supposed to be? A DPS set? A support set? Both? Since the damage now scales of MaxDamage using it on a tank or healer seems out of question i think. We had the idea of making it a Healer Monster Helmet that can benefit the group by handing out some additional DPS. First of all the damage dealt is reduced but it can now trigger per 6 seconds per target and scales of MaxMagicka and MaxStamina. That way a Healer that provides shields for allies can turn all his allies into Lava-hurling allies that can benefit. To avoid PVP abuse perhaps chance the text from "enemy farthest away" to "NPC farthest away" instead.

Belharza's Band
Since you're playing this as a mythic you will be either giving up a (5) or a (2) set bonus and you're also not using other nice mythics such as Ring of Pale Order or the Kilt. But the Band currently doesnt live up to the other mythics because the Light Attacks have to be cumulative without casting a spell in-between. I would change it to both increase Light and Heavy Attack Damage by currenty value 900. Also both Light and Heavy attacks should no longer be counted cumulative. Since this ring has to compare itself to DPS sets like Selene i think the damage is around the same so the cooldown could go down to 6 seconds as well.

Explosive Rebuke
The set sounds really fun. Reducing your overall tankyness but giving the group some additional dps if they manage to heavy attack targets that have a bomb from you. Sadly the dps isn't great because you can only place one bomb on one target every 8 seconds. Also the indicator which target has a bomb is designed really poorly and is barely visible. So I really would like to make this set reset its cooldown if the bomb was previously detonated. If the bomb stays active then you can only place a bomb after 8 seconds but if your team manages to strike the bombs all the time it could be down like 2 seconds. Also since tanks dont require Damage the (4) slot could go to additional resistances which could benefit this set too.

What do you think? I will expand this thread in the future. :)
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why rework sets when they can make new ones? I really hate them changing sets, even if they are useless to most, you never know who is using them or for what purpose.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    maybe not a full rework (outside of bugs/unintended interactions) of unused sets, but some rebalancing of the numbers to bring these sets closer in power to the "meta" sets would be nice. It doesn't have to make them as strong as the meta sets, but reducing the glaring power imbalance to a more manageable level would be nice.

This way those who want to min-max their builds, still have that ability to do so and "chase/create the meta", but those who aren't as focused on min-maxing their builds won't feel as left behind assuming all other factors are equal.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why rework sets when they can make new ones? I really hate them changing sets, even if they are useless to most, you never know who is using them or for what purpose.

While that is true for most of them, some of them are genuinely useless. Like Hanu’s Compassion. Drake’s Rush does almost the same thing with a much easier proc and affects 4 people instead of 2. There’s also some that I’m sure are used but need adjusting to actually be useful, like Auroran’s Thunder. The proc of that set does like… barely any damage.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »
    maybe not a full rework (outside of bugs/unintended interactions) of unused sets, but some rebalancing of the numbers to bring these sets closer in power to the "meta" sets would be nice. It doesn't have to make them as strong as the meta sets, but reducing the glaring power imbalance to a more manageable level would be nice.

That would be really nice. I love some sets in ESO when it comes to their mechanic (e.g. [Winterborn, Aurorans Thunder or Flame Blossom) but sadly the numbers don't even add up closely to those "meta" sets. Worl of Depths and Pillar of Nirn are currently one of the strongest DoT sets out there and there are some streamers who say you dont need any other set out there if you just go those two. That is really bad game design.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turtle_Bot wrote: »

That would be really nice. I love some sets in ESO when it comes to their mechanic (e.g. [Winterborn, Aurorans Thunder or Flame Blossom) but sadly the numbers don't even add up closely to those "meta" sets. Worl of Depths and Pillar of Nirn are currently one of the strongest DoT sets out there and there are some streamers who say you dont need any other set out there if you just go those two. That is really bad game design.

agreed, I used to love using overwhelming surge on my sorc for a fun lightning themed build that was still somewhat competent. Too bad it got nerfed so hard over the years because of the sustain aspect of the set being deemed too op, that it is now completely useless, even on a bloodmist based fun build using bloodmist, lightning form and overwhelming for near permanent bloodmist with some nice AoE damage + healing and sustain. It is by no means strong, but it was a fun build.