The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone e explain why crit builds are suddenly good in pvp?

worrallj
worrallj
✭✭✭✭✭
Is it just because people are relying on rallying cry for impen, and so the impen is intermittent rather than constant? They didn't change the calculations did they? I don't get it.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 26, 2022 11:59AM

Best Answer

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sets that have been added to the game (orders wrath + gourmands) for example together can add 21% crit dmg, which is enough to fully counter the base amount of crit resist you get with cp

in cp enabled cyro people usually give up impen trait because of the crit resist you can get with cp, or rallying cry running in a small group

in non-cp enabled cyro, i would assume people build more impen because of the lack of crit resist from cp (due to being disabled), which would make stuff like rallying cry and transmutation more valuable
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Answer ✓
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    meta change.

there's thousands of unrevealed metas out there, but when everyone uses one thing, that becomes the meta

also i've been noticing a lot of people not running impen on builds anymore, this might be why a crit build is more in use. rallying cry is really a non issue
    Edited by Dr_Con on November 22, 2022 6:54PM
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Burst damage is always going to be good in PvP.
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have pvp'd long enough to know these answers are not right... It used to be that crits in pvp barely did more damage than regular attacks because of how much impen players had. From what I've seen people still shoot for similar amounts of impen but they get it in different ways.
  • VixxVexx
    VixxVexx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple reasons. Primarily the nerf to dots and light attacks. People lost pressure so they move to burst where crit damage is king.

Ironically you can build quite a bit of pressure on Warden now.

Other reasons:
    It's easier to source crit damage now
    Medium armor meta
    NB insanely strong (class kit built around crit)
    Pen & armor debuffs more common (room to build crit instead of pen)
    High max health (tank meta)
    And so much more

TLDR: only big hit make tank go boom
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've struggled my way to my current AvA rank using a high crit glass cannon Stamblade. The random high dmg hits really throw the vet brawlers off their rotations and into a panic.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Interesting, might dust off my sniper.
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worrallj wrote: »
    Is it just because people are relying on rallying cry for impen, and so the impen is intermittent rather than constant? They didn't change the calculations did they? I don't get it.

Actually, they always have been. Part of the reason for this is because Crits are not well understood.

That said, I imagine they will continue to be.
    No one is immune from failure. All have tasted the bitterness of defeat and disappointment but as for today... today Victory is mine. Long Live the Empire.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vulkunne wrote: »
    worrallj wrote: »

Actually, they always have been. Part of the reason for this is because Crits are not well understood.

That said, I imagine they will continue to be.

Out of curiosity, what is not well understood about crits?
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crit builds have always been good pre Impregnable Armor and Malacath meta. It's recently been in meta again because ZOS made it harder to stack crit resist without sacrificing something else.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Players Helping Players section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crit resist has been down for quite a while to where crit builds were decent, but I think it's gotten to defense sets being more healing like Maras, so less armor like pariah, and the raw damage sets which have been behind defense sets are now also behind budget of crit sets and/or uptime is close to crit rate

I've been wanting more stat dense raw damage sets for a while now. Seems we just get procs and defense sets
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on November 26, 2022 4:32PM