The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

how to get rid of the "unknown" in the traits?

Hydra32
Hydra32
Soul Shriven

Soul Shriven
Hey,
I'm new to ESO so I don't really understand how to get the traits to research. I have watched various videos etc. and seen that you have to start early. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get rid of the "unknown" in the traits so that I can research them at all.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 18, 2022 6:43PM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hydra32 wrote: »
    Soul Shriven
    Hey,
    I'm new to ESO so I don't really understand how to get the traits to research. I have watched various videos etc. and seen that you have to start early. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get rid of the "unknown" in the traits so that I can research them at all.

You have to have an item with the trait you want to research. Once you have that, you go to the corresponding work station (woodworking for a bow or staff, blacksmithing for a heavy armor piece or metal weapon, etc etc). From there, you can go to the research tab and select the piece of gear you have with the trait you want to research.

This will consume the item in your inventory, but after a graded amount of time (based on how many things for that specific item you know) you'll be able to craft the trait.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Tamriel!
    Options
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The traits are found on equipment (weapons, armor, and jewelry) that you find in the game.
    They are random on the pieces you find.

What you need to do is collect equipment then go to the associated type of crafting station for a particular type of equipment (Clothing Station for light and medium armor, Blacksmithing for heavy armor and metal weapons, Woodworking for shields and wooden weapons [bows and staves], and Jewelry station for necklaces and rings), and choose the 'Reasearch' option.

Then select a piece of equipment that has the trait you want to learn. When you click to begin the research, the piece of equipment is destroyed and a timer starts for the amount of time needed to research that trait.
      PC/NA Warden Main
      Options
    • The_Boggart
      The_Boggart
      ✭✭✭✭
      To speed up research ASAP update the relevant crafting skills to research 2 items , any items with no traits can be deconstructed to increase skill, when you receive the 30 item trunk you can store unresearched traits
      Options
    • SeaGtGruff
      SeaGtGruff
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Unless you're looking for something with an expensive trait-- that is, one where the trait material is expensive to buy because it's hard to find-- you can often advertise in zone chat that you're looking for a specific piece of equipment (such as a dagger) in a specific trait (such as Training) for research (meaning it can be white Level 1 gear) and someone might be gracious enough to craft it for you for free.

Obviously, it would be nice if you were to tip them-- but if you're willing to spend money on a piece of gear, you might be better of searching the guild traders for a piece of gear to research instead, because a lot of gear can be bought pretty cheaply from the guild traders. Not only that, but you can often get pieces of set gear for cheap because the set is so common, and when you research the gear for its trait you'll also collect that piece of the set so it gets added to your stickerbook.
      I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
      Options
    • ZOS_Icy
      ZOS_Icy
      mod
      Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
      Options
      Staff Post
    • Ingenon
      Ingenon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Also events like the Dark Heart of Skyrim currently running will fill up your inventory space with random set pieces which you can research. You can deconstruct the pieces with traits that you know and save the ones that you need to research.
      Options