The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Issue with ice warden - anybody else getting this?

phlupp89
phlupp89
✭✭
Hello all,

For update 36 I have brought back my ice/frost warden.
Not only is it once again fully viable in both pve and pvp (not saying it was unused before) but it is just a fun playstyle.

Unfortunatelly the frost skills seem to cause an issue for me: After playing a few minutes the charatcers movements as well as the skill animations start to be more and more choppy to the point where it is almost unplayable.

It feels like heavy lag, only it isn't. My ping never changes nor do my fps. Since I never had similar issues before playing the warden I assume it has to do with the skills changed in U36, be it active or passive ones.

Arctic Blast specifically seems to exacerbate the problem. My suspicion: Constantly proccing the Chilled status effect is somehow just too much. I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem and my - all be it superficial - search in the forums didn't show much. Maybe it's a problem on my end?

I did find this forum thread from last year, seems to describe a similar problem: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/572924/warden-ice-tank-game-gets-very-choppy-and-eventually-lag

I already turned down the graphics and disabled pretty much all addons. Doesn't help sadly. Anybody have any ideas? Would really hate to have to turn away from what has quickly become my favorite playstyle again.

Thx for reading!

• pikHz
    pikHz
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed something like this as well. I'm on Xbox so just got the patch and brought out my ice/ice setup. Just hitting a dummy in my house I was noticing weirdness in the character animations and almost 'ping spike' like behavior. It felt like it was tied to light attacks for me but haven't really tested much further. I have a dagger frontbar/ice backbar setup I was trying too and it seemed to feel much better when I was on the dagger bar, which is why I was tying it to the frost staff specifically in some way. I'll be hitting the dummy some more to hopefully get an in-game bug report submitted cos something definitely feels off.
    Options
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've had issues with frost reach but nothing else, it's really jarring and annoying though and makes me instantly want to log off or switch characters.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (PC/NA)
    I can confirm that fungal growth, living vines, and arctic wind (and all morphs) suffer from the stutter that you're referring to.

I frequently see instances in PVP where casting one of these abilities stops my character in place for a split second, removing any momentum that I had.
    Edited by React on November 17, 2022 2:47AM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • phlupp89
    phlupp89
    ✭✭
    Damn. Good to hear it's not just me but discouraging at the same time. Thx for the responses guys.
    Options
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that issue for at least a year.
    I think it is a problem with the newer versions of the Warden's abilities.
    Especially Wall of Frost's projectile shield causes input lag with me. It was that change where it all started for me.

If I had to bet what the cause is, my money would be on the original ingame algorithms, that cannot properly handle decompression of the newer and fancy high resolution textures.

I have good experience with turning off postprocessing in the ingame settings and only using higher textures.
    The postprocessing and things like V-Sync can be forces in the graphic card's settings, thus circumventing the older code.
    read, think and write.In that order.
    Options
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I've noticed this especially in pvp. I'm on Xbox.

It's really sad, because lag is already a persistent pvp problem, which is why I've abandoned Cyrodiil for battlegrounds. But now, the ice/frost warden skills slow down the frame rate even in bg's, making it all but pointless.

I wasn't sure if it was just the lag/clunky frame rate that happens when there are a bunch of players fighting in a concentrated area, or the effect of casting frost abilities that cause chill, but now that I've observed carefully and documented it, it is clearly worsened by casting frost abilities. :(
    Options